Help with VCT Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with VCT Solenoid

Need help with locating a part number for the VCT Solenoid. Truck is 2004 with the 5.4 and 62k. Have been dealing with some issues in the past few months with decreased MPG's, slight rough idle, slight performance loss. Haven't had any CEL's until last weekend on my way home from MI it finally threw a P0011. I was going to start with replacing the VCT solenoid but can't seem to find a part number for it. I have looked at tasca parts and don't see it located anywhere. I have even checked other year trucks. I e-mailed tasca josh but haven't heard back from him yet. Would like to get one ordered sooner then later. Yes all regular maintenance has been done including plugs, filters, TB & MAF cleaning, and I always use motorcraft filters and oil. Also any other insight into this would be appreciated, hoping this is just an issue with the solenoid and not the phaser itself.

Kev

Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
8L3Z-6M280-A, interchanges with 8L3Z-6M280-EA. Full retail price $133.18.

You might try doing the usual swap with the other side to see if the error follows.

Also, you can test basic go/no-go functionality of the solenoid by making a test rig to jump it briefly and listening for activation. If no click, then you know that it's not working. BUT if it does activate (most likely), then you won't really know whether it's necessarily working properly since the signal to the solenoid is a pulsed activation which varies under control of the computer depending on the cycle desired. Note that you just want to very briefly brush the connection and not leave it hot for long or you risk burning out the solenoid.

Also, there's the whole flow through that circuit involved so even if the solenoid is or isn't working, then you may have other issues elsewhere in that same system. If it's suspect and you plan to replace it soon anyway, then you can try cleaning it to see if it helps any.

And to answer your next question before you get there, it's a #27 Torx. ; )

Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help Mike. I may have to try your go/no-go test although as you said that will not tell you if it is working properly. I should have added that I also have had some slight pinging and hard starts. I know those can be side effects of a the VCT system not working properly. I have also noticed that side of the motor(bank 1) has been making more noise lately, almost a knocking sound. I am also not convinced that the catalytic converters are not plug on that side or both sides. I did have some lean/rich issues in the past (had some un-metered air leaking in at the TB. Thanks again for the help.

Kev

Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by kevhead75
Thanks for the help Mike. I may have to try your go/no-go test although as you said that will not tell you if it is working properly. I should have added that I also have had some slight pinging and hard starts. I know those can be side effects of a the VCT system not working properly. I have also noticed that side of the motor(bank 1) has been making more noise lately, almost a knocking sound. I am also not convinced that the catalytic converters are not plug on that side or both sides. I did have some lean/rich issues in the past (had some un-metered air leaking in at the TB. Thanks again for the help.

Kev
Yeah, short of putting it on a scope and having somebody who really understands how to interpret the results (which is pretty much nobody you're going to find out in the field), it's real tough to guess what's happening with the VCT system without tearing it apart.

Since you have the 2004, if the phasers haven't been done yet, then you're probably looking at some issues there at some point. Among other problems, the roll pins they used to hold the older ones together seem to fail. Two out of the three were completely gone on mine.

Also, you'll need a fairly long, thin tool to get to the fastener for the solenoids. Most drivers and bit holders are either too short or too thick to get in there. Sears sells a longer shaft "Professional Series" #27 Torx screwdriver that is relatively cheap, easy to find, and works well in my experience:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Keep pressure on the fastener so that it doesn't drop into the motor by pulling up on the solenoid as you remove the screw. It's at least somewhat captive in the mounting for the solenoid so you're not very likely to drop it but some here seem to be able to do it. As an added safety, you can magnetize the driver. The seals are kind of a pain to remove but they do just pry out. Not hard to do, just be kinda careful so you don't cause yourself more trouble.

Last edited by Mike A.; 09-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips on the torx driver.
I know the 04's are known to have issues with the phasers. This truck has been either serviced by Ford or by myself. Although that doesn't mean much these days at least it has been consistent. I am hoping since it is still low mileage that I don't need to tear apart the top of the motor. Your right about finding someone to interpret results, I have never had to use the local dealer for anything major so unsure if they truly understand these motors. I have my own OBD software that I have been trying to learn more about the motor and how it operates. Watching fuel trims and what not. Anyways thanks for the help again.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Well Mike thanks for the help. Replaced the solenoid with no problems. Seems to drive better and have more power but it was short lived. Truck thru a p0011 code again this morning and stalled twice on me on the way to work. Thinking it may be time to take it to the dealership for diagnostics. Symptoms include: hard starts, lack of power (even worse now), pinging, poor fuel consumption, knocking noise (I assume it's the phaser)

Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear that it didn't solve your problems. Paying somebody to pinpoint it is probably a good call versus blindly throwing parts at it like I did when I first got mine.

Not really surprised though. I'd probably bet on phasers too. I think most of at least the older ones will end up being replaced given enough time/miles.

If by knocking you mean the typical light knock and dieseling-type effect that you hear a lot with these motors, then that's very likely the phasers. If it's a loud hard knock, then you've probably got some bigger problems. Hopefully not. If you're a reasonably competent mechanic, then the phasers aren't too bad to do. It's a pain getting in there and you need to be aware of timing and torque details, etc., but certainly do-able in the driveway. If you do end up going after the phasers, you also should consider swapping out all of the lifters/adjusters and any suspect rocker/rollers while you're in there. Also, if you can see a bright spot on the case where slack in the chain gets thrown off of the driver's side phaser sprocket or other wear to the guides/tensioners/chains, then you might want to go ahead and pull the front cover and do that too while you've got things torn down.

The good news is after doing mine, the motor runs pretty much like new. No more sounding and shaking like a PowerStroke, no more rattle on start-up, no more shutdowns, no more adjusters tapping like crazy. Nice and quiet and smooth with better power and mileage.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I made an appointment for Thursday and hopefully they can diagnose with confidence. I am done throwing parts at it. I believe the noise is the phasers but I will see what they say. Doing the work doesn't bother me but it's just the time to do it. If I did the work myself I would worry about identifying anything else that may need to be replaced like you stated. Overall I am kinda disappointed in this truck, truck only has 62k on it and has either been serviced by Ford or myself since new using MC parts and fluids. I will reserve judgement until I get this resolved. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: Help with VCT Solenoid