Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
Unhappy 5.4 Liter missing - no check engine light on ?

My 2000 F-150 with a 5.4 Liter V8 all of a sudden started "missing". I only have 46,000 miles on it and the check engine light does not come on? It does not miss all the time, but enough to be very annoying. I checked the computer on an analyzer and it showed nothing wrong? The truck was sitting for 2 weeks and when I took it out it started to miss? What should I check out?? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NE iowa
Vehicle: 2002 ford f150
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Miller View Post
My 2000 F-150 with a 5.4 Liter V8 all of a sudden started "missing". I only have 46,000 miles on it and the check engine light does not come on? It does not miss all the time, but enough to be very annoying. I checked the computer on an analyzer and it showed nothing wrong? The truck was sitting for 2 weeks and when I took it out it started to miss? What should I check out?? Thanks
well for one, its a very Low miled unit with only 46k on a 11yr old + truck. congrats
do you short trip this, 2-4miles and shut it off ?? or just don't drive it much?

it may have a injector sticking??....might be some bad gas? Mercon injector cleaner, and seem to be a favorite, & can be found @ wal-mart

or sticty valve?

typically missing is either bad plug or a bad COP...(coil on plug). A low grade missfire from a COP won't neccessarly trip a code right away
I'd check those vacuum lines for leaks too.
cleaning the MAF sensor couldn't hurt.

take it on a good drive....50-150, miles and see if it clears up
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by enriched View Post
well for one, its a very Low miled unit with only 46k on a 11yr old + truck. congrats
do you short trip this, 2-4miles and shut it off ?? or just don't drive it much?

it may have a injector sticking??....might be some bad gas? Mercon injector cleaner, and seem to be a favorite, & can be found @ wal-mart

or sticty valve?

typically missing is either bad plug or a bad COP...(coil on plug). A low grade missfire from a COP won't neccessarly trip a code right away
I'd check those vacuum lines for leaks too.
cleaning the MAF sensor couldn't hurt.

take it on a good drive....50-150, miles and see if it clears up
Yes, I just take it on short trips. Main purpose is to pull my boat. However, I do get it on Xway at least once every 2 weeks for a 10 mile stretch or so. This is the first problem I have had with the engine. Now that I think about it the miss sounds more like an injector issue because it misses a number of times in a row before going back to normal. I will change my gas filter (I put this one on at 35,000 miles) and do some injector cleaning as your suggested and see what happens. I live in the Miami area and things get and stay very hot here, which is not good for gasoline. Thanks again ...............AL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NE iowa
Vehicle: 2002 ford f150
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Miller View Post
Yes, I just take it on short trips. Main purpose is to pull my boat. However, I do get it on Xway at least once every 2 weeks for a 10 mile stretch or so. This is the first problem I have had with the engine. Now that I think about it the miss sounds more like an injector issue because it misses a number of times in a row before going back to normal. I will change my gas filter (I put this one on at 35,000 miles) and do some injector cleaning as your suggested and see what happens. I live in the Miami area and things get and stay very hot here, which is not good for gasoline. Thanks again ...............AL
short trips are the real killer...everything is not getting up to operating temp before you shut it off, even though you live in a warm climate. In a nut shell, drive it more than just 10 miles, it is getting carboned up...find a town 40-50 miles away and go see whats there

changing the fuel filter is good.

couldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body...changing out the PCV wouldn't be a bad thought either.

trust your using motorcraft oil filters?

Not to say that you may still have a deeper issue like a failing/weak COP. but in the mean time, willing to bet that a couple of healthy drives will improve things, & certainly couldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Posts: 3,204
There's a 95% chance it's a COP going bad, causing a intermittent low grade misfire. Which will be hard to track to a particular cylinder. The best thing you can do in that situation is to mimic whatever it takes to cause it to buck and keep it bucking for as long as you can and hope that it trips the CEL. Most of the time you can find that sweet spot right around 40-45mph when it shifts into overdrive with light throttle applied. What I'm saying is, force it to misfire as much as you can... hopefully you will either get the CEL to flash, or come on. Then the DTC can be pulled to determine which cylinder it is.


And, since it sat for 2 weeks, if your using ethanol blend gas, there's a chance it could have separated. Techron fuel treatment is the thing to use.

If you changed the fuel filter at 35k, it should be fine for a few more miles. 15k is a good mark to change them at.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NE iowa
Vehicle: 2002 ford f150
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post

And, since it sat for 2 weeks, if your using ethanol blend gas, there's a chance it could have separated. Techron fuel treatment is the thing to use.
thanks Toyz...my bad...I mislabled/qouted that product...yeah Techron is what to use.:o

I gotta a friend that would get this hesistation now and again....like the OP, dove it very little, short trips. Her brother (a mechanic by trade), would just borrow her truck a day or so when it would flare up...(A) trying to get a CEL light to come on & trip a code...& (B) to put some miles on. Never got the code to hit....but by the time he put miles on it , over 50, it was running pretty and smooth again.

yes we have ethonol bleands here in the midwest, & hard not to find it. which maybe contributing to the issue at hand.

Last edited by enriched; 08-08-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spell'n
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
Thanks for all your input and info. While all this was happening my gas tank was less than 1/4 full. I then filled up the tank with reg gas and changed the fuel filter. I blew out the old one and did not see much in it. But ..................it seems to run fine now! Is it possible the full tank of gas stirred up the crap in the tank? Since I do not drive the truck much is it possible that I get more rust in my tank? Should I pull the tank (this winter) and see how much crap is in it? Is there a filter on the fuel pump in the tank? Thanks ....AL
__________________
AL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Utah
Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
Posts: 5,134
There a sockpre filter that lasts along time generally.. Maybe your just down to some bas old gas. Tack the thing out for a nice long ride. Clear the oold gas out and run some techron through it.. that migh cleaar it up.
__________________

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
5.4 Liter missing - no check engine light

Well, I thought the problem was fuel related and I "thought" that filling up the tank solved the problem, but NOT SO!!:
Same problem after 3 days or so. It misses much more just after it shifts into 4 gear (auto trans) and I accelerate gradually between 40 -50 MPH. During some trips it does not miss at all? I pulled my boat (4,000 lbs) to the marina yesterday and no miss on the 7 mile trip to the marina. But on the way back it missed quite a lot. I will go through the suggestions that all you gave me (thanks)and see what happens. If I can "induce" the code on the computer this would help a lot (I think)!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM
glc glc is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,511
I would change the spark plugs on general principle, and be prepared to change one or more cops.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,368
when was the fuel filter changed?
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
I just put on a new fuel filter last week. The old one was clean. It had been in for 16,000 miles .....AL
__________________
AL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,368
did the miss start right after the change or before?
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Posts: 9
The miss happened before I changed the filter and after. See my previous posts....AL
__________________
AL
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Utah
Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
Posts: 5,134
Sounds like a coil to me.
__________________

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details