Time for a new engine....or not???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new engine....or not???

I have a 98 4.6 romeo with 280,000 miles. A couple of years ago, I lost the whole right bank due to the sparkplugs fouling out. I replaced the sparkplugs and it ran fine....for a few months. Then it started to develop a skip, I had it checked and the computer said that cylinders 4 & 7 were mis-firing. After replacing coils, sensors, vacuum lines, new plugs and wires, I just learned to deal with it. About three months ago, I changed the plugs again because I could tell they were starting to foul. And when changing them I noticed that, in addition to some oil, they looked wet. No smell to the liquid, so I figured it was water. I replaced them and kept on. Well, about a month ago, it got to where it wouldn't want to spin over. It would try to, but suddenly stop (violently). I thought the starter may have been messing up. Put a new one on and had the same result. It has been ran hot before, twice actually. Both times water issues (radiators). I think that I am getting water on the pistons, and since water doesn't compress, this is causing the violent shaking and jerking when I try to crank it.

My question is, for the whole right (passenger) bank to be wet and steadily fouling plugs, and water on the pistons, what would cause this? I'm thinking a head gasket might fix it. But my only concern is that with this many miles, tightening up the top end would only cause the bottom end more problems.

I am considering finding a good low mileage used motor or either putting in a re-man....any suggestions as to the best reman for a good price?

Please, any and everybody chime in, feel free.

Last edited by fishdeercpa; 07-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Time for a new engine....or not???