Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Engine Swap - Torque Converter bolts - HELP

Working on my 01 SCREW. It's a 4.6 auto. I am getting about 90% ready to pull the engine, but am having hell with the TC bolts. I got a slim wrench and socket to slide up between the oil pan and the back of the flywheel (it's easier because all the 4x4 drivetrain crap is in the way of the access hole on the side of the bell housing)

It has a good tight fit, but it rounds the bolts off. I tried one with a box end cheapo and it started to round. So I went and bought a nice $40 flex head ratchet and fitting socket, it fits perfect on the bolt - and it took some muscle, but rounded a second one!!!

I did PB blaster on both about 10 minutes before trying...

So - there are 4 total right?

What should I do for the other two to not round them?

What can I do about the already rounded ones?

Much appreciate the help - I really need to get this running, the city code compliance is on my *** now!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
you might end up pulling the motor with the converter attached-it can be done. dont really have advice as far as getting em loose. Should come off..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
weird. They are only 22-30ft/lbs... which isnt much at all. You must have used the wrong size and a cheap wrench? I'm not sure what you can use now... as there isnt much room.... If the wrench fits the way it should, it's tough to round them off. You may have to pound a wrench of a different size, possibly a standard size on there. What size are those, 12mm?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor
1995 Lincoln Towncar
My Garage

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
Send a message via MSN to Gotts2BMe
go in through the access hole on the drivers side and use a socket.

2006 Ram 5.9L - 2000 F150 5.4L - 1995 town Car 5.4L - 1995 EGT 1.8L - 1991 ELX 1.8L

Nothing stock
Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Super Crew
Send a message via Yahoo to My01SCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post
You must have used the wrong size and a cheap wrench? I'm not sure what you can use now... as there isnt much room.... If the wrench fits the way it should, it's tough to round them off. You may have to pound a wrench of a different size, possibly a standard size on there. What size are those, 12mm?
Nothing to really add but I argue with my guys about this all the time, since the trucks we have in the Army are all mixed up with metric and standard.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by My01SCrew View Post
Nothing to really add but I argue with my guys about this all the time, since the trucks we have in the Army are all mixed up with metric and standard.
Weird. Ive owned 2 99 F150's and a 98 exped. Done a 5.4 swap, had the whole front end apart, interior pulled apart, drive line out.. etc. and I have yet to come across a standard bolt that I remember. Maybe there were a few I don't remember? But the TC bolts were not one of them
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
metric standard mixtures were more common in the early days of the changeover. I dont recall any standard bolts on my 99 but it does seem like there were some on earlier trucks I've had. 90 f-150 and 86 f250 had mixtures. My carpet cleaning equipment is all standard..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlee44 View Post
Working on my 01 SCREW. It's a 4.6 auto. I am getting about 90% ready to pull the engine, but am having hell with the TC bolts. I got a slim wrench and socket to slide up between the oil pan and the back of the flywheel (it's easier because all the 4x4 drivetrain crap is in the way of the access hole on the side of the bell housing)

It has a good tight fit, but it rounds the bolts off. I tried one with a box end cheapo and it started to round. So I went and bought a nice $40 flex head ratchet and fitting socket, it fits perfect on the bolt - and it took some muscle, but rounded a second one!!!

I did PB blaster on both about 10 minutes before trying...

So - there are 4 total right?

What should I do for the other two to not round them?

What can I do about the already rounded ones?

Much appreciate the help - I really need to get this running, the city code compliance is on my *** now!
I have a set of wrenches that are somewhat "universal", but the way they are made, the harder you pull the tighter the wrench grips. There's no way you can round a head. As Toyz said, either someone lightened 'em with a breaker bar or something is desperately wrong. TC bolts should NEVER be that tight.
As GottstoBMe said, if you can go in through the access hole, Harbor Freight has a great set of sockets that will absolutely deal with rounded off bolts or nuts, even made in Taiwan, NOT China.

Last edited by code58; 07-17-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 AM