1st start after oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st start after oil change.

just wanted to share this with yall im sure all of you know never to rev. your engine on the start up after an oil change. well if you ever wonderd why here is the reason. you have 0 PSI for a good 3-4 seconds after. my oil pressure sending unit is right after the filter were the stock dummy gauge goes.

Also when i put the oil in i noticed somthing was wrong... can you tell what it is?

if you guessed the zip ties on my fan broke you are only half right...look closer....

yup you got it the rad is out of the support....but why?....

if you guessed because the core support broke you are right!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good old road salt and calcium in the winter..reeks havoc with metal !!!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it does i should take a picture of under the cab. rust is forming EVERYWERE. it ate threw my driver door. my tail gate my 3rd door. and also behide the rear tires is getting bad now.

also they are using liquid salt now on the roads and then put normal salt down after it snows they say the liquid salt and normal salt do some crazy stuff and melts snow and ice fast. but it is 100X worse for your paint.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
If it's the same there as it is here in Maine, that stuff is liquid calcium (not salt) and it is the kiss of death to ANY unprotected metal. The state even states (privately) that is the worse stuff there is, but, it's a safety issue. I guess the theory is that if they can get every vehicle to totally rust out and undrivable, there will be no more accidents......LOL

Old 06-03-2011, 04:34 AM
[QUOTE=shifty_85;4603539]just wanted to share this with yall im sure all of you know never to rev. your engine on the start up after an oil change. well if you ever wonderd why here is the reason. you have 0 PSI for a good 3-4 seconds after. my oil pressure sending unit is right after the filter were the stock dummy gauge goes. [QUOTE]

Shifty- easy way to get around that is hold the throttle to the floor for about 3 seconds when you 1st start the truck after the oil change. (Opps, just noticed you have a '97, that probably won't work) On the new body ('04-up) with drive by wire, holding it to the floor disables the injectors, so no fuel, no start. You don't even have to let off the key, just release the throttle and it starts with full oil pressure,

Quick Reply: 1st start after oil change.