5.4L Engine: How long will she last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L Engine: How long will she last?

I've always been someone who swaps out his vehicles fairly frequently (around 100K miles), but the changing economic times have made me a changed man. I've got a 2007 5.4L Screw with 78K miles that I absolutely love. She's been my daily driver for 4 years and I use her to tow our 6200lb travel trailer between 3-5K miles a year. Haven't had a lick of trouble and have always maintained her at 5K service intervals.

There will come a time when I'll likely retire her to dedicated tow/weekend work, but apart from that I'm wondering how long (realistically) a V8 truck can get the job done? I would think that 150K miles shouldn't be any issue given the way she's performed thus far, and 200K isn't out of the question. I might need to sink some money into her down the road, but I see no need to upgrade to another truck. She tows our setup well, and that's all I can ask of her. Moving to a diesel truck would be fun, but I just can't wrap myself around shelling out $30K for a used diesel truck; particularly one that might end up sitting in the driveway waiting for our next trip. Diesel's don't like that too much.

Thoughts?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyg123
I've always been someone who swaps out his vehicles fairly frequently (around 100K miles), but the changing economic times have made me a changed man. I've got a 2007 5.4L Screw with 78K miles that I absolutely love. She's been my daily driver for 4 years and I use her to tow our 6200lb travel trailer between 3-5K miles a year. Haven't had a lick of trouble and have always maintained her at 5K service intervals.

There will come a time when I'll likely retire her to dedicated tow/weekend work, but apart from that I'm wondering how long (realistically) a V8 truck can get the job done? I would think that 150K miles shouldn't be any issue given the way she's performed thus far, and 200K isn't out of the question. I might need to sink some money into her down the road, but I see no need to upgrade to another truck. She tows our setup well, and that's all I can ask of her. Moving to a diesel truck would be fun, but I just can't wrap myself around shelling out $30K for a used diesel truck; particularly one that might end up sitting in the driveway waiting for our next trip. Diesel's don't like that too much.

Thoughts?
There are guys who tow with 5.4's that have over 300k who post here. The 3v is less reliable then the 2v at around 150k it could need some major servicing and then theres the plug deal that you should be dealing with or already should have. Cam phasers on that engine are a problem and they frequently need to be replaced at some point. other then that they last forever.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.dps.state.la.us/pmtaxtable.nsf

That should give you an idea of how long it can last. It sounds like you're the original owner so it has always been maintained properly. Though there's no way to completely predict how long an engine will last, I don't see why you wouldn't get 200k+ out of it. Just know that as the mileage increases, it may start using some oil between changes, so keep an eye on it.

Honestly, if your truck tows your camper without any problems, I think it would be a waste to get something else.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
My '04 5.4L 3V lasted 147K miles before dropping a valve.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
My 97 5.4 2v looks like its had a few owners, based on oil change sticker it appears to have had the oil changed regularly. It has 236K on it.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimanderson
My 97 5.4 2v looks like its had a few owners, based on oil change sticker it appears to have had the oil changed regularly. It has 236K on it.
2v's are more long lasting. Guys with 3v's seem to be having major issues sooner.. I think thats why the Vans never took the 3v. The van division was just was never sold on its reliability. It will be interesting to see how long before the van division switches over to the new 5.0 if they ever do. The fact they havent makes me wonder if that engine is less then reliable..

Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's my 2 cents.

Once its paid off every day of driving is saving you a car payment.

Given its good mechanical condition chances of something catastrophic in the near term are small.

The only major components to worry about are the engine and trans. Should one fail you can either get it rebuilt, buy remanufactured, or get one from the junkyard.

Considering how many 04-08 F-150's are on the road, there should be cheap "spare" parts for a long time to come.

I vote to keep it.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Figure out what a new one will cost you not only in initial outlay of cash but interest on a loan, increased insurance,etc. Then realize that even if you need a new engine or trans down the road more than likely the money you saved in interest alone will cover either of them. I'm still driving my 97 and plan to get at least 200,000 miles off her. I love not having a truck payment When I'm upnorth hunting I drive it down old logging trails through snow, mud, creeks etc. and don't worry about it. When I come home I cruise down I-75 at 80 mph and it gets me home just as good as a $40,000 new one. Like others said the engine should be good for at least 200,000 miles. If the engine croaks throw another one in move on.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wish the damn body would last as long as everything else lol.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 AM
I bought my 2007 used about 9 months ago. It is my first car and will be my last except for toys. As long as gasoline is available, I will be driving this thing. I just think a new engine is cheaper than a new truck.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Wish the damn body would last as long as everything else lol.
Thats what we get jbrew for living in a state that dumps tons of salt on the roads even when we get an inch or less of snow. My 97 is just starting to get a little rust at the driverside front bottom of the box quarter panel other than it still looks like new.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres a guy here that has 220k on his 2004 3v. had no trouble, except the cam phasers making noise

Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I wish people knew what maintenence is. The people that owned my truck before did not keep up as it turn out. So at 180k it is in the shop getting a rebuild. Now at least I know it will last.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cetansapa
I wish people knew what maintenence is. The people that owned my truck before did not keep up as it turn out. So at 180k it is in the shop getting a rebuild. Now at least I know it will last.
You don't know that. That's not the way to go with these engines. Unless your into it for a hobby and don't care about the expense.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Thats what we get jbrew for living in a state that dumps tons of salt on the roads even when we get an inch or less of snow. My 97 is just starting to get a little rust at the driverside front bottom of the box quarter panel other than it still looks like new.
That's how it starts. I believe my passenger side rocker went first. Fixed that with metal from an old kenmore washer lol. Now I'm replacing all the lower bed panels, both rockers and repainting. It only took a couple years once it first started to come thru. More work than I thought, I don't think I'll do it again lol.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Engine: How long will she last?