Operation get my truck running better

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Operation get my truck running better

A little background on the truck....2005 fx4 and it has 144k on it now...I just got it 8 months or so ago and I got it running really bad (work hand me down). It had the original spark plugs still in it and a check engine light for both knock sensors. I did at one time also get DTC codes for system to lean bank 1 and 2. It also had this ticking sound that seemed like it was coming out the bottom end. So what I was going to do is a motor swap that would also that would correct all these issues and get me updated heads and spark plugs so I was just gonna ride it out for a while.

Well it was running so bad I couldn't wait anymore...it would buck misfire rough idle pop flash the engine light (hard misfire but never any misfire DTC) if I gave it any gas...it had been like that the whole time I had it. So i broke down and had the plugs changed and the knock sensors changed. I also got a oil change and fuel filter. Now amazingly enough the ticking sound that seemed like it was in the bottom was actually a spark plug that was cross threaded from ford I guess....it had backed out and was leaking making a ticking sound and had black soot all over it. It is cyl 8 so its in the back so it was reflecting the sound down. My mechanic re taped the hole and after all the plugs were in whala quiet as a mouse. Now this is good and bad...good becasue it fixed...bad becasue now my hopes of a built motor ported head cammed swap wen down the drain since its not "needed" now. One day...but no time soon...so I need to get this one running right.

I should also note I will be changing the stock cats to magie high flows in the next few days and doing true duals. I had taken it to ford one time when i first got it and they tried to get me to replace the cats for 2500 becasue they were "clogging" but I didnt have any codes and never have for the cats (unless the system too lean code is related). So I dont know if maybe they are clogging...and if it could cause any of my current issues.

It still doest run great...much much much better but still issues so that why I am posting. To see where to go next.

Issue one is the check engine light still comes on for the knock sensors even tho both are new. So what else can it be...my mechanic said he can ohm test the wires. Sounds good? What else can cause the 0325 and 0330 DTC codes? There's no extra tools left under the manifold.

Next issue...once I got the truck back after plugs I drove it a few miles and I still heard one time what sounded like rattling while at 1/2 throttle and mid RPM. Wasnt sure what it is...or if something is loose. I then loaded a VMP tune into the truck 87 oct millage. Runs much better but still doesn't seem right...although I have only driven the truck with it running like total azz. I still heard this rattling once or twice. I then tanked up (was just about on E) with 93oct and loaded the VMP 93 perf tune. I did this while I was filling up so come to find out after there was 87 still in the lines. When I pulled out the gas station it was rattling like crazy...so now I think the rattling I have been hearing is pinging....or its real similar to it. I went back to the 87 tune and it was like it was before...every now and then rattling. After a few miles I tried 93oct tune again and it was much much better but I went back to 87 until I figure out the rattling. So now I have mostly 93oct in the tank on a 87 tune and hear this rattle...is random...when im giving it gas...not cruising...sometimes at WOT and sometimes not. So if it is pinging...and its not the gas...with new plugs and fuel filter...what should I look at next? Can the cats cause some sort of rattle or pinging?

I would like to know what to check next so I dont waste a bunch of time and $ doing things out of order. Some easy things I plan to do is clean the MAF and TB but im not sure if that could be causing my current issues. I was also thinking about the COPs but my mechanic was using a scanner when driving it before the plug change to see if the COPs were causing the bucking or the plugs and he said the cops seem to be fine just the plugs causing a misfire (but leaving no codes). Now it does not buck and no more blinking light but it doesn't idle as smooth as silk as I am guessing it should.

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: Also do i need to look at o2 sensors or wait for DTC codes to be thrown? I know there are injector issues with the 05's but im out of that extended warentee range...but could that be causing any of the above issues?

Last edited by NOLAGT; 03-31-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Also to note...when I had it at ford that one time...I was asking them about the ticking sound. I told them it was coming from the bottom I thought. They originally told me it was the cam phasers and they needed 700$ to see if it was them making the sound and I could apply that 700 to the repair. I was going to get other work done there too so even if it wasnt the phasers I would apply that 700 to something else. Well they told me they checked and they were good...not sure if they really check...they then told me its coming out the bottom end...inside the motor and I would need a new one. I said what about an exhaust leak...and they said definitely not...turns out it was a spark plug exhaust leak. So in theroy the rattling should not be cam phasers...if they really checked them.

What about the timing chain area...could that be this rattle sound I hear? Can that be "tested" some how?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Cleaned MAF changed air filter and did the GOTTs mod today. Not much change...still has that rattle sound. I went from the 87 to the 93 tune and it seems to rattle more frequently. So I dont know if its pinging or if the increases timing from the 93 per tune makes the timing change rattle (if its loosened up in there). Next step is new cats and exhaust setup, trying to figure out why the knock sensor DTC still comes on after they were replaced, and also I might have the a motor vac preformed on it and see if that changes anything. With 144k miles on it with a lot of those miles with a messed up plug and lots of misfiring maybe theres some carbon buildup messing things up.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Finlay did my exhaust that swapped out the possible clogged cats with some high flow ones. Might have cured that rattling sound I was getting. Not sure if it was something rattling from added back pressure or if it was causing detonation. I only had the truck done for a day but so far so good....hopefully the exhaust isn't just drowning out the sound...I dont think it is.

Still cant get the knock sensors acting right...guy changed some wires that looked iffy and I still get the light for both banks. Already changed sensors. Any ideas??

Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Scratch that...still does the rattling sound. It doesnt do it every time but still does it. Cant tell if its detonation or maybe the timing chain. Once I get the knock sensors working right I will move onto this rattling sound. I am guessing I can datalog and see if when it rattles its detonating...

Quick Reply: Operation get my truck running better