What else would you revamp if you were doing cam phasers and timing chane stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else would you revamp if you were doing cam phasers and timing chane stuff?

I have a 05 fx4 with the 5.4 3v and 144k on the OD. I think one of the phasers is doing that tapping thing (just above idle to about 1200rpm). I just got the truck (hand me down) and im not sure how good the oil changes were taken care of and if fram filters were used a lot (I think they were). My mechanic also said something about the timing chain and the O rings wearing out and stuff. He does good work for a very reasonable price. So I was thinking about having him do the timing chain revamp and the cam pahsers. While he has it all apart Im also thinking the VCT valve bodies or what ever there called, done too. What else would be wise to do while he was in these areas?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If I had a 5.4 and was going to rip into the valve train, the first thing that would happen is the cam phasers would come out and I would not be putting them back in. Go to Comp Cams and give their cams a look and look at the accessories they have to eliminate the problematic phasers. You know you'd really rather have more performance anyway and now is a good time.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/P...s/Default.aspx

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am familiar with the lock out and limiters. I have a 06 mustang too with the same heads. I would rather have the phasers becasue I think it helps with making the power band a little better. I think they updated them some time in 08 when they re-did the heads (sparkplugs) so they wouldn't have the issue. I would really like to drop in a set of the ford racing hot rod cams at the same time but I dont know. I am trying to keep the cost reasonable but be smart about it. Just looking at my options now...

Quick Reply: What else would you revamp if you were doing cam phasers and timing chane stuff?