Loud clacking sound from LH Valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud clacking sound from LH Valve cover?

I've only had this truck (2002 4.6L Supercrew) a few months and it's always had a ticking from the engine compartment I couldn't put my finger on but it's gotten much louder recently. I was adding some oil while running and it was very obviously coming from inside the LH valve cover. What am I looking at here?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are positive its coming from under the cam cover then its more than likely a collapsed lash adjuster and or a defective roller finger follower. Both relatively easy to replace. Start by removing the cam cover. If you later determine that the noise is from behind the front cover then you can expect to find a collapsed timing chain tensioner which will give you a loose timing chain along with potentially a damaged chain tensioner chain guide. If the engine was low a few quarts of oil then that in itself could allow the lash adjusters to collapse intermittently and generate a noise.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
It was never low on oil that I know of, I was actually adding some Seafoam to it before an upcoming oil change. I just never could put my finger on the source of the noise but it was very clear when I opened the oil cap. Is there a recomended kit for the lash adjusters? I'm assuming I would replace the entire side.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM

First verify visually what the actual problem is then go from there. Sometimes these noises can "travel" and sound like one thing but actually be another component. Also one lash adjuster or one of any other component can fail without the others being defective or at the end of their useful life cycle. Your dealer can tell you if you are able to purchase these parts in a kit or individually. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I guess it could be timing chain slapping from a bad tensioner. I'll pull the valve cover first since it seems the easiest to check.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
One more question, are the valve cover gaskets reusable or do I need to grab new ones just when I pull the left side off to check the noise?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldog24
One more question, are the valve cover gaskets reusable or do I need to grab new ones just when I pull the left side off to check the noise?
If you remove them carefully they can be reused. There are two spots of RTV on both covers right where the front cover,cam cover, and cyl all meet. I use a sharp one inch putty knife to slide between the cyl head and gasket mating surfaces and slowly cut through that peanut sized dab of RTV then the cam cover will pull right off. Do not remove the gasket if you can help it as they become to big to reinstall. What I do if the gasket comes out and won't fit back in the cam cover groove is I cut about a 1/2 inch piece out of the gasket area where the RTV goes to make the gasket shorter. Then reinstall the gasket and when you reapply RTV to those four spots the cut in the gasket will be sealed by the RTV....whew big explanation for a small repair..lol

Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The valve covers are open to the timing cover, so any noise coming from there can easily travel up to the valve covers and sound like it's coming from there when you take the oil cap off. It could even be coming from the opposite valve cover. You have to remove covers and inspect before you can be sure.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Did you ever verify what your problem was? My truck has a weird kinda slapping, grinding noise whenever you start it. Can't tell if maybe it's the starter or if the timing chain is loose.

Quick Reply: Loud clacking sound from LH Valve cover?