Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
sniswend@hotmail.com
Cam Phaser Problems

I have been reading a lot of threads on this web site looking for answers to the problems I have been having with my F150.

I have owned my 2007 F150 with a 3V 5.4 for two years. About 6 months ago I started to notice a knocking sound from the engine at 900-1500 RPMs. The sound continued to get worse over time. I took the truck in two weeks ago at 59,000 miles and Ford replaced the cam phasers, lash adjusters, valve covers, some lifters, and a few other parts. I just got my truck back and it still has a knocking sound at 900 RPMs and now rattles for a few minutes on cold start up. I have also noticed a power loss from before I brought the truck in. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I took the truck back to the dealership and they listened to the engine which is making the exact same knocking/tapping sound at low RPM as it was before the repairs, and they told me it is normal for these engines. I have listened to my friends trucks and none of them make a knocking/tapping sound.

Last edited by sniswned; 03-19-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 AM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 200? FORD
Send a message via Yahoo to tarajerame
you need to reference TSB 06-19-8

-LOTS OF PARTS FOR SALE http://www.f150online.com/forums/par...-new-post.html
Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Garage is empty, add now

sniswend@hotmail.com
I have read TSB 06-19-8 and just about every other TSB for these trucks. The issue is still the cam phasers but the dealership just replaced both of them. My biggest issue is the lack of power the engine has since the repairs. I don't know if the dealership put another program in the engine computer, but the truck doesn't pull like it used to.

That procharger kit would really wake things up, thanks tarajerame.

Last edited by sniswned; 03-19-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniswned View Post
I have read TSB 06-19-8 and just about every other TSB for these trucks. The issue is still the cam phasers but the dealership just replaced both of them. My biggest issue is the lack of power the engine has since the repairs. I don't know if the dealership put another program in the engine computer, but the truck doesn't pull like it used to.

That procharger kit would really wake things up, thanks tarajerame.
All u will get from ford is a bunch of BS, I had the same stuff done u did, knocking went away but have rattle on start up is supposedly timing chain tensioner looses pressure over nite and lets slack in timing chain until it pumps up on cold start, mine is an 04 also had ford change plugs at 50K they broke 7 of 8 but got them all out, my next move will be to another brand....
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F250 HD #04409
^^ Good luck with that. Nothing beats a Ford.

I say it often... Dealers love noisy cam phasers. $$$

They all make noise. If you can't handle the noise then you're going to spend money, and often.

Chain slap on startup is a possible byproduct of an oil filter without an anti drainback valve, but I have had it happen sometimes with the proper MC filter. Not a big deal in all reality.

BTW I love my Ford dealer's service department. They are awesome stand up people, and I will only buy vehicles there because of their service department. Bankston Ford in Burleson, Texas.
Those of you who think you know it all are very annoying to those of us who do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

sniswend@hotmail.com
The dealership has treated me great so far, they covered the cost of repairs. The more I read on the 3V 5.4 the more I realize its just a noisy engine at idle. I hope the start up rattle do not cause problems for me down the road. The rattle sounds like sheet metal rattling together but I used my engine stethoscope and the noise is coming from the driver side valve body. It last for about 2-3 minutes then is gone.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniswned View Post
The dealership has treated me great so far, they covered the cost of repairs. The more I read on the 3V 5.4 the more I realize its just a noisy engine at idle. I hope the start up rattle do not cause problems for me down the road. The rattle sounds like sheet metal rattling together but I used my engine stethoscope and the noise is coming from the driver side valve body. It last for about 2-3 minutes then is gone.
Well u do have one thing going for u if your truck was built after Oct.07 u don't have to worry about the getting the plugs out another ford better idea which BTW they will not stand behind!! On the plus side u have lots of company we have the noisiest engine ever built but it is all normal
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 200? FORD
Send a message via Yahoo to tarajerame
hopefully neither of you is using a fram oil filter...

-LOTS OF PARTS FOR SALE http://www.f150online.com/forums/par...-new-post.html
Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajerame View Post
hopefully neither of you is using a fram oil filter...
WHY please explain, Not sure what oil filter I am using because I use what ever the local oil change place uses but I do use Mobil 1.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
2005 Ford F-150

Fram are notorious for breaking up and sending tiny little pieces of paper into oil passages, not good for th VCT system.
Quote:
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

so what do you use? Motor craft only?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
2005 Ford F-150

I use MC semi-syn oil. It's cheap and good.
Quote:
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
If you are using Mobil 1 and running extended change intervals, use a Mobil 1 filter. Otherwise, Motorcraft, Purolator, or Wix are all acceptable filters. If you are NOT running extended change intervals, Mobil 1 is a waste of money, just use the Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil. It's as good as most synthetics anyway.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM