tune-up questions.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune-up questions.

Ive had my truck for i think 9 months or so now, and ive got 182,000 on the original 5.8 motor. I dont know the last time anything was done maintenance wise so ive decided to do a complete tuneup. But ive got questions.
1. What do you guys think i should replace? Plugs, wires, ???
2. Can you give me names of performance products only. Stuff i can get at autozone though, preferably not something i have to order. From now on im only putting performance parts on this engine.
3.(not related to tuneup) i have this clicking from the engine when its at idle. It sounds like its an injector but cant tell for sure. Dont think its a valve. I also hear a squeaking sound coming from around/in transfer case in park at idle. When its out of park it stops. Any suggestions?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Bump

Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Gee, thanks guys. I know someone has to know about good tune-up parts. After all, its a tune-up. Everyone has had a tune-up

Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Relax. This isnt McDonalds. You sometimes have to actually wait.. You want "performance" parts that you can buy at Autozone? There really isnt much to be had in the way of performance stuff at the zone.. I would stay away from most of the ignition wire sets they sell there infact If it were me I'd order the stuff online from Rock auto. Get quality plugs Motorcraft is always safe but the windsor engines really are not picky that way. Motorcraft wires are the safe bet again but Napa sells decent ones. Performance parts to me mean they make the truck run better then stock and tune up wise there really isnt much unless you go full on MSD then your talking performance at least for that igntion. My car is full MSD and it is an extreme upgrade from stock. Probably spent $700 on the ignition for it though. You already have electronic ignition and you dont really need to upgrade like I did and all. Just get quality stuff and you'll be happy. To get good stuff you'll probbably want to go other places then Autozone though.. NAPA beldon stuff is good or Motorcraft..

Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Okay. I used autozone as an example. Maybe i should rephrase performance with top-of-the-line. What is top of the line for that engine? And what all should i replace?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Cap Rotor wires plugs PVC fuel filter air filter. Quality stuff.. I like NAPAs stuff or motorcraft is always safe. "performance" is found in making the truck run the way its meant to unless you want a hot rod then MSD.. and lots of other stuff. I doubt thats the direction you wanta go..

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM
No i want it to run a wee better thab stock parts. If thats possible. I know ill definetely see a change as is but just wondering. Youre right. Im not dumping a bunch of money into it. Just want it to run better.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
get a drop in k&n and thats it for so called "preformance", msd wires cost like 80 bucks and there really isnt much of a difference that justifys the extra 50 bucks. just replace things when you should and it should run great.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Ive read mixed emotions about throttle body spacers too. Some say it helps, some say it doesnt. For such an old motor it doesnt push alot of HP stock like the new ones and im hopefully getting ready to run 35-36 inch tires soon so i need all the help i can get. Would any of thia stuff cause my truck to throw codes?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
throttle body spacers are only good for cars using throttle body injection, thats it, otherwise its an expensive paper weight. get gears with those bigger tires

Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
With out spending big dollars there really isnt "performance" up grades. You can buy thing that make that claim but you'll be disappointed. Tune it up with quality parts and you'll be surprise how much better that will make it run.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I cant afford 2 grand for a regear though. And i kind of like the 3.55's because of the low cruising rpms. Anyone know about the codes?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM
just get a good tune up with quality parts. power costs money

Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Yea id much rather spend money on power than a regear. Because (knock on wood) power comes in handy alot more than the higher gear does.(to me anyway)

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Well if you got cash ditch the stock heads for some ported polished aluminum ones get a supercharger headers true dual exhaust You have to rebuild the bottom end might as well get forged pistons and nice rods. Have a cam custom made.. yeah that it.. that stuff will make it have power and it will only set you back 7-8 grand. 2 grand wont buy much. You could tune it up and do the exhaust..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tune-up questions.