Romeo vs Windsor timing????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romeo vs Windsor timing????

Ok so Timing a 4.6 ROMEO this is what I did. . . . . . . . Crank has a solid gear that supports the two timing chains.

Cylinder 1 is at top dead center the small timing mark on the crank timing chain gear (a dot) is in the 6 o'clock position and the crank keyway is in the 11 oclock ish position if I recall.

The timing chains are marked. Each have two coloured links 180 deg apart.

I placed the coloured links one in front of the other on the lower crank timing gear and made certain they were positioned directly below the timing mark (the dot) on the crank.

With the timing chain guides in place I positioned the cam gears with the cam gear dots also in line with the coloured links on the timing chains. I then tightened the cam journal retainers down. Of course as the journal retainers are tightened the cams rotate slightly as they seat themselves This put the cam timing gear marks in the 2 o'clock position RH and 10 o'clock LH when cams are fully seated.

Now I install the tensioners.

One last check on all timing marks. All are in their places according to pics on this sight and in the Haynes manual.

The truck ran rough for MAYBE 3 seconds and quit. Compression check shows the right side has little or no pressure and the left side showed 140. Both heads are rebuilt and I just installed them.

So my question is why if all my timing marks are in the positions they are supposed to be in then what's up???

If ROMEO heads require the cam timing marks on the cam gears to be in line with the coloured links on the timing chains. . . .then why doesn't this truck run?

Last edited by firelake; 09-01-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Romeo vs Windsor timing????