Gotts is back and needs some "advise"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotts is back and needs some "advise"

i haven't been around in a while but working on a new "project."

Long story short. I bought into a very small time tow truck salvage company. I am not local to the business and more of a silent type ish partner except when it comes to mechanical.

So anyway came across this 06 f150 extended cab 4x4 xlt 5.4 with only 110,000 miles. Problem with the truck. We/I know NOTHING about it, except It was abandoned at my partners neighbours rental unit a couple years ago. Has a glove box full of new spark plugs. The body is pretty beat up. The steering column is bust up and the tumbler is missing out of it. To top it off no keys.

So... How do I "steal" it. There are a lot of options we are considering for this truck but before any consideration is made we would love to see if it can run/drive.

Yes I still have my 2000. No I haven't put the Lightning supercharger on it yet. Yes I have acquired every single piece of the kit and still have it. Don't really drive old red but I will never sell it

Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that might be new enough that you could get the key from ford. I'd check that out.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:25 AM

I got a key cut for a 99 cavalier about Christmas time from the vin. Problem with this thing is that there isn't a tumbler in the Column. Anymore. I haven't contacted a dealer yet though

Old 04-24-2016, 01:46 AM
they might be able to do it with the vin. Sounds like if you want one key you'll have to hope you can order a complete ignition with key. Keyed the same. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:49 PM

What I want to do is get it running before I spend a pile of money fixing it. If I spend a bunch of money fixing it only to find out the cam phasers are knocking away and the trans slips. I would be pissed. If I can bypass the pats system temporarily to see if it runs and/or drives to will likely become the shop truck. If the trans slips but runs or vice versa it will be a part out truck.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM
I don't know of a way around the anti theft system That be tough..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem with going through Ford, if you can get a key "cut" from the vin, it still doesn't address the PATS. Is the pick up ring still in the column? If not then I would think it would require a whole new set up for the PATS system including all the parts.

But that is just a guess on my part.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:22 PM
contact previous owner for key and history?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaFordF150
contact previous owner for key and history?
That may be kinda tough........

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
We/I know NOTHING about it, except It was abandoned at my partners neighbours rental unit a couple years ago. Has a glove box full of new spark plugs. The body is pretty beat up. The steering column is bust up and the tumbler is missing out of it. To top it off no keys.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by glc
That may be kinda tough........
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
We/I know NOTHING about it, except It was abandoned at my partners neighbours rental unit a couple years ago. Has a glove box full of new spark plugs.
DHSMV should know the previous owner.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaFordF150
DHSMV should know the previous owner.
I don't know what DHSMV stands for but I'm in Canada and the privacy laws up here are pretty crazy. In oil country where I am from the guy that abandoned it is likely 2000 miles away and interprovincial privacy laws are uh.... Yeah...

And thank you glc for saving me against banging my head against the wall. I don't need any more concussions.

99% of the anti theft systems used on vehicles before the year 2010 have a signal that sends either a 12v or 5v signal to ecu. Except in the case of the Ford where some of them go to GEM.

Quick Reply: Gotts is back and needs some "advise"