In need of some technical help. If your good with electrical problems take a look.!.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of some technical help. If your good with electrical problems take a look.!.

Ok to start off the truck is a 2001 5.4 supercrew. the truck is bagged all the way around and everything cut out the front to lay 24s on frame. the computer has been relocated under the hood and the fuse panel extended and relocated as well with some other wires like mass air meter. i personally extended these wire and all were soldered with shrink wrap put around them then taped with a rubber take we use on helicopters. now to the problem....

i've been driving the truck fine with no issues other than a coil pack acting up every now and then. change it and its fine. i drove to work this morning and the truck started acting up really bad when i got ready to leave and was missing horribly. the over drive light was also flashing. i have had no issues with the tranny what so ever. it was in limp mode though. i limped the truck to orileys and pulled the codes. this is what i got....

p1747 Ele. pressure control solenoid short circuit
p0750 shift solenoid a malfunction
p0755 shift solenoid b malfunction
p0743 torque converter clutch circuit
p0135 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
p0141 " " bank 1 sensor 2
p0155 " " bank 2 sensor 1
p0161 " " bank 2 sensor 2
p1409 egr evr control circuit fault
p0300 randsom misfire

yea i know this is alot of codes. i first thought that maybe the tranny harness got pinched or burnt on the exhaust. i inspected everything good and damn near took the whole intake manifold off looking for things that could be wrong. found nothing. plugged everything back up including the computer and no luck. same issues.....

i'm thinking that the computer took a ****. any opinions welcome.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 PM
what about c.o.ps? would more than one coil pack gone out cause the tranny to go into limp mode?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Carl, when these things are done to a vehichle and issues develope your on your own.
What I see is most all the codes are pointing to the harness going back toward the transmission.
Locating a PCM in the engine bay is a no no due to heat especially during hot summer temps when the engine bay is the hottest just after engine shut down and air is no longer being pulled in by the fan until normal convection cooling loweres the overall temperature with time.
As well there may be 'signal' pickup and interference due to longer or miss routed harness leads.
Remember the system is digital and can be subject to intefering signals that interfere with program processing.
This is my informed opinion about what you have done so any help about what your specific causes are are not possible.
Good luck.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 PM
i understand about the computer relocation, but we did it in a sheetmetal box that is sealed for water and is able to breath on the backside. this has been done like this since 04 and no problems till now.

i changed the coil packs today and it did no good. the truck will crank and seem fine and after about 10seconds the od light will start flashing and the truck is in safe mode.

i'm going to bring it to the dealer monday and have them run a diagnostic on it. any other opions?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm sure you've pinched or melted some wires...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Check the fuses under the hood. I pulled one thinking it was a spare fuse one time and I ended up with all the same problems.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Second thread removed as only one per subject is allowed. I will move this to the V8 forum.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
thanks guys. i'll check the fuses and connections with a tester.
dirwood, what problems did you have exactly? random miss and tranny in safe mode?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
heres a few pics of the truck

Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
That's insane. What's the overall drop on that from ride height? What happened to your bumper?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
i built the truck in 04 and sold it in 05. its changed hands a few times and i bought it back from a guy in houston on craigslist. i've had to replace almost everything including compressor and all the air lines. they used to drag the bumper with the front up and that messed it up. i'm going to do a navigator clip and roll pan then go a dark color with it. maybe the new dodge charcoal.

the truck will go from factory hight to laying frame on 24s. i'll take some engine pics and post them up later. first thing first i gotta get this bug worked out of it and get it back running right.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
p0135 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
p0141 " " bank 1 sensor 2
p0155 " " bank 2 sensor 1
p0161 " " bank 2 sensor 2

These are your Oxygen sensors. P0135 and P0155 are upstream (before the cats). P0141 and P0161 are downstream (after the cats). P0135 is accessable through the passenger side front wheel well. P0155 is on the driver's side. Haven't had to do my downstreams. My guess would be that the wiring for these isn't long enough to accomodate the drop and had ruined the connectors or the wires themselves. Just a guess though.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks for all the ideas.... but problem solved. turned out to be a blown fuse that i had hooked to the compressor. the compressor was hooked to the hot side on accident so it continued to work making me thing the fuse was good. i over thinked the problem of even being a fuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In need of some technical help. If your good with electrical problems take a look.!.