2001 5.4 rare idle problems??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTruckGuy
Well i tried to grind the little center peice down and grinded the grooves of the whole thing out so im guna have to go to a junkyard and get a new maf

Nah, you have just enough room to get a small pair of vise grips on it, don't yuh? If not, take a dremel with a cutting wheel and slot the screw.

Or thro it against the wall and go to the junk yard, - like you said.

Yea, -I haven't purchased a set of those damn safety Torx yet, can you tell ? The alternative is more entertaining anyway.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew

Nah, you have just enough room to get a small pair of vise grips on it, don't yuh? If not, take a dremel with a cutting wheel and slot the screw.

Or thro it against the wall and go to the junk yard, - like you said.

Yea, -I haven't purchased a set of those damn safety Torx yet, can you tell ? The alternative is more entertaining anyway.
haha i tried the vise grips but just kept grinding the sides of the screw and not catching or biting to turn it.
i neve thought of making o slot for a flat head tho. i might try that. (if the cel comes back on) but im just guna leave it alone for now.

o belive me i almost threw it up against the wall a couple times.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Oh yeah, I been out that way once in my life. drought, reservations, and nuclear missile silos every 5 miles. I can see how home remedies would be the way to go. Whatever it takes, get r dun

Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Tamper proof torx bits = priceless I too tried to remove them using alternative ways but just broke down and bought a set.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by munoxide
Tamper proof torx bits = priceless I too tried to remove them using alternative ways but just broke down and bought a set.
i think the grinder to make em into flat had screws is the way to go.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Until you come upon more where a grinder wheel cant fit.....Besides i dont have a disc that small/thin...But for the slotted idea!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 PM

ah theres only 2 screws im worryin about.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Okay, there is a quicker way, - if you don't want to purchase the proper torx. I imagine most without has done it this way in the past. A little carbide dremel burr works best. Dremel is the only supplier I've seen that has a 1/8 burr. I use it quite a bit, - beats the hell out of a cobalt bit. If you use it in a die grinder, it will run right thru #8 broken bolts, - which seem to be harder than any cobalt drill bit I own lol.

Anyway , back to the MAF screws. Quikist way without the right tool and with a half way decent drill bit. Just go in on a slight angle and that center safty knobby deal will bust off every time. Yea , no need to try to drill it down, - it will snap off if you get your angle right.

Then replace those screws with a Philips head type. I use Cooper coated machine screws myself. Philips.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM

A little late to the party but thanks for the advice

Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Man, I've never seen so much talk about security torx. I fool with them all day long on the job. But I have the right equipment. But in my younger days, I would have just gotten me a flathead, just the right size and crammed it in there sideways, pushing down with a pair of vise-grips on the screwdriver. What the hell? Shoot, if I could remove a chainlink on my motorcycle on the side of the road with a rusty nail and a rock, and then shorten it and put it back together, then drive back home, you could master the security torx. You can even break off the tit in the center with the right pair of needlenose and patience.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4 rare idle problems??