Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
5.4L Misfire

Misfiring can be caused be many issues. Fuel filters seem to be the leading cause. Find out what other issues your truck may have to be cause these problems

Helpful Advice
Print Wikipost

5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottFF00
I think your mechanic skills are the root problem with your truck. As you are trying to fix stuff you are creating more issues. This leads me to my conclusion.
That was really helpful. Nice job for you to chime in at this point and tell me I'm ignorant and the root of the problem. If you don't have anything useful to add go play on another topic please.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
So the p0308 is the only code that came back? Do me a favor, next time you pull your cop, remove the boot and take a look at the post from the bottom side of the cop where the spring inserts. When I was chasing a misfire a while back. I had a misfire on cyl 6 I think it was, switched cops and the cel went away. About 2 weeks later it came back to #6 and after some inspection found this...

It's a bit hard to see but there was a large amount of corrosion around the edges the post, making a horrible contact with the spring. Like a bad battery terminal. It would work sometimes, and misfire other times. Was off and on. My thought was with the colder weather there was some condensation building up somehow causing the corrosion, not sure. But there were no other signs of moisture in the plug well or on the cop, just at this post.

Just a thought..

Can't think of anything else other than dirty injectors. Which I had at one point, no cel but ran like crap.
Next step might be a compression check

Last edited by Toyz; 01-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bigwheel
That was really helpful. Nice job for you to chime in at this point and tell me I'm ignorant and the root of the problem. If you don't have anything useful to add go play on another topic please.
Please review post #35. you're welcome

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey jbrew

I may not speak for everyone here but I sure am glad you log on eveyday to share your opinion on what we do wrong...

maybe you should try to contribute to the problem solving process when people are havin trouble and not sit there telling us what we did or have done wrong to make things worse...in your opinion!!!

anyway...with your great wisdom...what plugs should all of us morons be runnin???

bosch...none for 3v
denso...none for 3v
champion...Ford dealers are installing these but jbrew thinks there crap...
autolite...back to the 2 part plug...
e3...even worse...

I know...since the motorcraft plugs are so great we should all keep putting them back in and just think of the plug seperation problem as a small price to pray for your expert advice!!!

all this coming from someone who doesn't even own a 2004-2008 5.4l 3v F150...

Thanks again...don't know what I would do without your help

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Intimidator317
Hey jbrew

I may not speak for everyone here but I sure am glad you log on eveyday to share your opinion on what we do wrong...

maybe you should try to contribute to the problem solving process when people are havin trouble and not sit there telling us what we did or have done wrong to make things worse...in your opinion!!!

anyway...with your great wisdom...what plugs should all of us morons be runnin???

bosch...none for 3v
denso...none for 3v
e3...even worse...

I know...since the motorcraft plugs are so great we should all keep putting them back in and just think of the plug seperation problem as a small price to pray for your expert advice!!!

That old rooster you speak of contributes more to these forums than 90% of anyone else. He's entitled to his opinion

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Toyz

anyone that has time to post an average of 10 post's a day for over 5 years has an opinion they (and you) feel others need to hear...that doesn't make it helpful or correct...

and I see jbrew works for BP...
maybe if he hadn't spent thousands of hours giving people his 2 cents here daily they could have avoided a huge oil disaster...

just my .02

Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
No need to hijack the thread with bashing.

Back to the OP's issues...

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here and I could care less if you like it or not - the Motorcraft SP507 and SP515 plugs, which are the current recommendations for the 3v, are not the same as the OEM plugs. Although they are still 2 piece, they have been redesigned to minimize sticking and breakage AS LONG AS you install them correctly and change them every 60k.

How do you install them correctly? Use the correct antiseize and apply it as referenced in the current TSB.

Now - back to the issues. I'm not going to review over 80 posts, so if what I say doesn't make sense, please forgive me. I don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, there are times when it's best to swallow your pride, grab your wallet, and go get help from professionals who have the experience, tools, and test equipment to properly diagnose and repair difficult issues. You may be at that point, especially if you are jonesing to get your truck back running right.

Last edited by glc; 01-21-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyz
No need to hijack the thread with bashing.

Back to the OP's issues...
What the hells going on here Toyz ?

I have to read it one more time lol.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Hey jbrew

bosch...none for 3v
denso...none for 3v
e3...even worse...

Well, I guess I'll just point out , Ford will install any plug you want them to, but your going to pay for it. No, they won't install Champions under their own discretion. That is at customer request AND customer supplied ONLY. I bet they get a chuckle when doing so as well lol. Dude, you haven't a clue.
Thanks Toyz

anyone that has time to post an average of 10 post's a day for over 5 years has an opinion they (and you) feel others need to hear...that doesn't make it helpful or correct...

and I see jbrew works for BP...
maybe if he hadn't spent thousands of hours giving people his 2 cents here daily they could have avoided a huge oil disaster...

just my .02
How I spend my free time is no business of yours. Although, you may profit from this if you decide to discontinue acting like a little girl. Your more than welcome to start a personal problem thread about me in the GD forum on this site. You can also write to the moderators with your complaint, as this is the correct route for your frustration. Do not PM or use Personal mail. For what it's worth, I worked for Bp/Alliant energy, Alternative Energy division. Field engineer, wind turbines and transmission lines. Like I said before, you haven't a clue. I guess I better edit my profile, since it's trying to be used against me. That's pretty low.
__________________________________________________ __

Bigwheel, hows it going ?

Last edited by jbrew; 01-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 PM

I'm thinking it's the damn PCM, -the coil drivers program. Yea, you'll have to take it in at this point I'm afraid.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
i have been following this post with same problem on a 2002 5.4 i noticed coming home lastnite the theft lite is blinking any conection?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
The theft light will always blink if the key is not on. Do you mean it was blinking while you were driving?

For the misfire/hesitation, I was directed to change the plugs and clear the codes. Cleared up most of the problem. Now I will inspect the boots. If they're okay, I will replace the COPs, starting with the #1 plug as it was in the worst shape. If I still have problems, I will go on to the next item on my list.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM
theft lite was blinking while driving home from work?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
What the hells going on here Toyz ?

I have to read it one more time lol.
I think you hurt his feelings with some comments in regards to his poor choice of product selection. He's just one of those people who doesn't like to be told the hard way what works and what doesn't. His response toward you with the personal crap was childish though. I had a lot to say back, but decided to hold off and try to stay on topic. Oh, no offense to the "old rooster" reference lol... the meaning was meant more like a wise man.

Anyway, I think your right, if he's tried everything he has posted and can't get rid of the random misfires popping up, might be time to take it in and look at a pcm issue.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues