Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
5.4L Misfire

Misfiring can be caused be many issues. Fuel filters seem to be the leading cause. Find out what other issues your truck may have to be cause these problems

Helpful Advice
Print Wikipost

5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#@%$&* Everytime I think I have this thing fixed....ARGGG

This morning on the way to work the truck starting missing badly and threw a code showing a misfire on #8. This follows a misfire on #7 and #4 all after replacing plugs & cops. Once I delete the code it shows a misfire somewhere else. While idling in park or neutral it is fairly smooth but when in gear it gets worse. While driving with no load (very easy) it's smooth but as soon as I gas it the miss reappears. On a hill it is horrible. When in gear and under the hood I hear a definite gasping for air at the air filter. I completely removed the intake; cleaned the MAF; checked the filter and reinstalled everything but no improvement. Looked over the TB and it appears relatively clean. Basically it seems to have to do with the air/fuel mix/vacuum but all the hoses appear to be good. Thought about the EGR and MAF but I don't want to just start replacing high dollar items without really having a clue what the problem may be. This is getting old quickly. Ideas?

One last thing...I'm getting a slight rich smell.

Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-06-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Shot in the dark. Electrical connections starting with grounds. See if u can find any corrosion on a ground.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like its eating up coils

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Sounds like its eating up coils
Well, don't think that's it. Once there's a misfire on a cylinder and I clear the code there doesn't seem to be any further problems with that particular cylinder. Whatever is happening seems to create misfires but doesn't damage the plugs/cops. Weird stuff.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds like an Auto lite plug problem. That's how Auto lites go out. Bigwheel, you have Motorcrafts right ?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
It sounds like an Auto lite plug problem. That's how Auto lites go out. Bigwheel, you have Motorcrafts right ?
Yea, I put in the Motorcrafts to avoid that problem.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 AM

I've read thru the thread, -it's starting to sound like a PCM problem. Unless your doing something drastically wrong ? I'm not sure what that could be. (?)

Maybe your not cleaning the spring ends before install. -

This can cause bad contact between the coil and plug cap.

Maybe your not twisting the boots down wet. -

If the boots are dry, they won't mount the plugs correctly, - they'll just buckle when you force them down with the coil bolt. Results in bad contact.

That's all I can think of man.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
When I changed the cops here is exactly what I did. After installing the plugs I took the dialectic grease and coated the inside of each boot. After greasing I pulled the spring out from the bottom just far enough to clean. I used cleaner and then wiped before allowing it to slide back into the boot. When I installed the boot onto the plug I pushed down and then pulled it back up just far enough to hear the suction break and then reconnected. I did this to ensure that I had them in the right place.

At this point I guess I'll spend my Saturday taking every cop off again and redoing each one. Maybe when the spring slid back into the boot it got recoated with grease. Figures I couldn't have something easy going on.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM
This AM I pulled 3 of the cops and they look fine (no grease on spring, etc). I decided to take a step back and look at this again. I cranked the truck and noticed quickly two things: 1 - A very rich smell and 2 - It misses in park and more so in gear but when putting it into gear I get a very "airy" sound but can't describe it as a sucking or blowing sound just very airy.

I also check the VMV connection with a voltage meter this morning and there's no voltage which is not good. It appears I'm going to have to take this to a professional for some high dollar diagnostics and repairs. Anybody have any other options as money is short right now?

Would that cause such a rich smell and airy sound?

Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM

What a VMV ? I don't know that one ? No voltage to the VMV ... (?) and an airy sound. Like a woosh maybe ? Yea Iduno, - missing in park and drive, - Did your CEL blink at all, then shut off ? Or is it illuminated currently ?

Something isn't right , - like you don't know that lol.

Wish I new what to tell yuh, - personally, I'd go over my work , two , maybe three times if need be. You most likely have done that as well. Well, with out a CEL, your pretty much in the dark I guess. If you don't have a CEL, I may take a short drive and push for one. Airy sound , - Is the brake booster connected @ the bottom (very bottom) of the TB elbow? I know I remove mine when working on the coils.

Yea , whats VMV ?

Good Luck, - sorry for your trouble, -sucks!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
What a VMV ? I don't know that one ? Yea , whats VMV ?
Vapor Managment Valve - It's connects to the EVAP cannister.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Okay, I gotcha. -Actually, that's the EVAP emissions canister purge valve. The way Ford has it anyway. I'm just use to hearing referrer to as the Purge valve , EVAP or the fricken queer green thing. Vapor management valve, (VMV)- same thing, the acronym just thru me for some reason. Anyway, no power to it huh. Yea not sure how that relates to coil swap, - I think you right, take it in.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-08-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Diagram
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Supposedly if the EVAP system is not working correctly the fuel system is not burning the excess vapors evenly which translates to the PCM incorrectly telling each cylinder when to fire. This is what causes the intermittent misfires on different cylinders. Now...that's just enough information to be dangerous and I have no freakin clue what I'm talking about

Now I've just got to figure out where to take it. I think this will probably be above my regular mechanics head but the dang dealer is going to take me to the bank.

I'll let you guys know what happens after our Southern Winter/Ice/Snow storm passes

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bigwheel
Supposedly if the EVAP system is not working correctly the fuel system is not burning the excess vapors evenly which translates to the PCM incorrectly telling each cylinder when to fire. This is what causes the intermittent misfires on different cylinders. Now...that's just enough information to be dangerous and I have no freakin clue what I'm talking about

Now I've just got to figure out where to take it. I think this will probably be above my regular mechanics head but the dang dealer is going to take me to the bank.

I'll let you guys know what happens after our Southern Winter/Ice/Snow storm passes
Yea, do that. I'm curious. Yea, the EVAP system does not effect the operation of the vehicle. It is possible that a disconnected vacuum pipe beneath the vehicle in the Fuel Tank area could cause an unmetered leak in the Inlet system and cause poor idling.

The only way in which you may decide that the EVAP system is not working is when there is no hiss of vacuum as the fuel cap is released after the engine has run.

Don't waste time testing voltage, - specially for the EVAP this soon after you reset by disconnecting the battery. Once all the run monitors are reset, they all go to incomplete or not ready. Once each run monitor's criteria has been met, then they should show ready or complete.

For the EVAP monitor can take forever to complete, -unless you force run. Currentlly you haven't met conditions required for the PCM to start testing the EVAP system. The EVAP monitor is one of the hardest monitors to get to complete.

There is away to cut right thru the crap and force completion.

Thing is, why? It's not a the problem.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Told you I didn't know what I was talking about

I started looking at the EVAP system because of the strong smell I'm getting. All of this has to be connected somehow and since we have a full day off tomorrow (weather) I'm going to spend some time under the truck to see if I can see something amiss below. I just have this sinking feeling that I'm missing something simple and going to pay an arm and leg for someone else to point it out.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues