f150 low oil pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 low oil pressure???

I have a 2004 f150 5.4 v8. i had very loud noise at start up and intermittently at idle even after being at operating temp. I took the truck to local shop and they changed two cam phasers sending me on my way, truck ran fine for one day... second day same problem came back (loud noise occasionally even at higher rpms) vey intermittent... took truck back to shop where they refunded charge for cam phasers and advised i take the truck to dealership... the dealership told me i need a new timing chain tensioner ($1,800) but dealership said that my oil pressure is "low" somewhere around 20ish psi at idle... they suggest that i do not replace the timing chain tensioner but suggest i purchase a rebuilt motor and replace my engine... the mechanic says that with the oil pressure low (20psi) that there is a good chance that replacing the tensioner "will not" fix the truck and that "i wont be happy" with the truck unless i replace motor... Funny thing is the truck ran awesome for the 10 or so miles i drove it to the dealership... truck has 133k miles, i am really struggling with the spending $7,200 to replace existing motor. Thoughts???

Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the engine is warmed up then 20 psi at idle is not bad. I think the chain tensioners are the problem however $1,800 sounds pretty high to me. It is not that difficult of a job. I would get another opinion and price on the tensioner replacements. Change both chain tensioners while they are in there. Have whoever does the work borescope the inside of the oil pan and check the pickup tube for nylon debris from the chain guides. If a tensioner goes bad the chain will flop around and sometimes shread the nylon on the guide. This debris will drop into the oil pan and can plug the pickup tube screen causing low oil pressure and oil starvation. Inspection of the guides while the front cover is off will give you some indication if this condition is possible with your engine. JMO good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-16-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks Dyno

Thank you so much for your very through reply... i was at dealership again this evening and they are standing on the low oil pressure being evidence that i need to replace the motor... they appear to be certian that i need a new chain tensioner, but insist that oil pressure of low 20's psi indicates that the engine needs to be replaced... i don't understand why they are standing on this. i wish i had the know how and tools to change these tensioners to see how the motor would behave after completed. They are offering me $6.500 for the vehicle on trade in for a new f150, but this truck is in great condition and according to Kelly and the research i have done it should get $10-12k assuming it doesnt need a new engine. I need to find a good mechanic that could take this on. If i was seeing info online consistant with what dealership was telling me i would feel better about all this, but the only place i have found that 20 psi indicates that the engine needs replacing is this dealership, everything i read online suggests that oil pressure in the range the dealer shared with me is not indicative of "needing a new engine."

Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take the truck to another dealership. These guys want your truck so they can double dip. They make $5,000 on your truck and they make the same when they sell you a new one. I would bet if you were to trade it in they would have it on the lot for sale with the same engine in it. Twenty psi at idle is plenty of pressure. If the pressure is not going any higher when the rpms are increased then there is a problem. If the chain tensioners are bad they will leak off oil pressure (minimal) as well. New ones installed would stop that small oil pressure loss. In my opinion they are making a huge assumption that you need a new engine without even getting into that engine to see whats happening. They can install a manual pressure gauge at either cyl head or at the oil sending unit port by the oil filter. Have them show you what the oil pressure reads at idle and at 2000 rpm. Unless there is more to this then I know take it somewhere else, you have nothing to lose.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I am having this same problem I took my truck to the dealership and it sat there for over two months all they could tell me is that the front cover was scored pretty badly and that the oil was too high and the pressure was very low! They kept pestering me to buy a new or used motor and I turned it down everytime I just had a used one put in with 80,000 miles on it and my dumb*** friend drove it across the country in 4 low now the rear seal is leaking and idle is VERY rough I have checked all hoses already and so did my mechanic when he installed the motor!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger_1102
I am having this same problem I took my truck to the dealership and it sat there for over two months all they could tell me is that the front cover was scored pretty badly and that the oil was too high and the pressure was very low! They kept pestering me to buy a new or used motor and I turned it down everytime I just had a used one put in with 80,000 miles on it and my dumb*** friend drove it across the country in 4 low now the rear seal is leaking and idle is VERY rough I have checked all hoses already and so did my mechanic when he installed the motor!
Hey Ranger_1102,

Have you tried getting a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer? Which model year F-150 do you own and what's your current mileage?

Nick

Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the money refunded from the phasers to replace the tensioners, chains, guides and VCT solenoids since the phasers are probably still find.

The tensioners need oil pressure to keep the pressure on the guides to keep the timing chains tight. If they leak, overall oil pressure drops and, in the long term, can damage cams. The seals between the tensioners and the block were a flat gasket (like a head gasket) that eventually pushes out from the oil pressure. New tensioners have a 0-ring type gasket inside a groove that doesn't leak as easily.

There is a new style of solenoid with a check valve that should work better and last longer as well. part number: Part # 8L3Z6M280B.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Angry

Nick

Yes I have literally gone to everyone in town and they all tell me I need a new motor I went to the mom and pop shops to some of the small do it yourself work shops! The company I bought the motor from will pay for the damages since it's under warrenty until December but he wants a list of what is exactly wrong with it and no one can do that it's a late model 04 has almost all 05 parts on it truck ran great after my friend out in that used motor. But like I said this idiot decided to drive it a good distance in 4 low out to North Dakota from michigan he tells me he didn't drive it for long like that but I can't see any other problem of anything going wrong since it ran great for a month out here before completely falling apart on me

Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Also the ford dealership wanted to charge me over 2,000 just to dig into it and look around for what's wrong and if they didn't spot the rear seal leak and cannot tell me why my front cover was scratched so bad then why would I want them to dig into the motor for 2,000? Was I wrong for walking away with a big FU?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Sorry and the used motor only had 90,000 on it after I got it out here to North Dakota! My friend back home tore everything apart and said it was one of the best looking used motors he's ever seen

Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry and the used motor only had 90,000 on it after I got it out here to North Dakota! My friend back home tore everything apart and said it was one of the best looking used motors he's ever seen
Understood. I recommend speaking with the service manager at your dealership to see if there are any discounts available for the repairs needed. If you'd like, I'll gladly locate more dealerships in your area for you to get a second opinion at. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your ZIP.

Nick

Old 08-22-2014, 03:42 PM
My zip is 58701 I'm about done with ford the service manager is who I spoke to and he's the run that have a me the run around and kept trying to change the subject and have me buy a new motor or truck!!! After I finally get sick of hearing it I said I'm done and I want my truck since it's been 2 months and no one can tell me what's wrong besides it has low oil pressure! All I paid for was the diagnostic and said if they wanted to take me to court they had my address nothing ever happend after that day!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM
My zip is 58701 I'm about done with ford the service manager is who I spoke to and he's the run that have a me the run around and kept trying to change the subject and have me buy a new motor or truck!!! After I finally get sick of hearing it I said I'm done and I want my truck since it's been 2 months and no one can tell me what's wrong besides it has low oil pressure! All I paid for was the diagnostic and said if they wanted to take me to court they had my address nothing ever happend after that day!
I understand your frustration, Ranger_1102; we definitely don't want to lose you from the Ford Family. I was only able to find one Ford Dealer in your area. If you'd like, I'll gladly document dealer feedback from your experience. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

Quick Reply: f150 low oil pressure???