01 head gasket job Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 head gasket job Please help

Hi guys need some help I have use the search tab and got a lot of info but still need a little help..

01 5.4 supercrew has 87,740 on it I bought it used with 38k and a supercharger ..

its been running crappy lately and I finally got a code for a missfire on cyl 1
when I popped the hood to take a peek at things I noticed my anifreeze was low and rusty colored no water in the oil tho so I need to do the head gaskets. I plan on doing an oil change, a coolant flush and replace all spark plugs while im at it ..I saved a thread for the timing and seen the tip in the 16 silicone dabs on the timing cover but still need some direction here are my question

1. what gaskets are recommended and what ones can be reused? (I know new head gaskets but what else do I need any timming cover gaskets ,valve cover,intake
2. is there 1 part # for all the parts needed, or do I need to get them separate?
3. where should I get all of it from
4. help with any touqe specs would be great
5. any tips or links would be sweet

Thanks guys I wanna get it all ready for this sunday and monday

Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
bump come on wheres all the help

site is alot slower than a year ago

Old 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I run the Cometic,there the best but expensive.
Most guys run the Felpro.
Don't know why there not listed as 5.4 but 4.6 is the same.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

You can reuse the valve cover gaskets and maybe the intake manifold gaskets if they look good and your careful.
I've had good luck with the valve covers but not so much with the intakes. (had to replace them.)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
thanks for the reply there Phil.. I almost pm'ed you on this..... Ill prolly jus use the fel-pro..(I still don't have full time work.been over a year now) I was looking @ a full gasket kit jus in case I mess one up

Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I missing something? Are you saying you are going to do a head gasket job without first doing a compression test and a cylinder leak-down test?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Hydrocarbon test will tell you for sure if the HG is bad.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by NKENN
Am I missing something? Are you saying you are going to do a head gasket job without first doing a compression test and a cylinder leak-down test?
thats right but I can see the seepage around #2 and I pulled #2 plug and it looked like it had been getting wet ..also got a code for missfire in #2 swapped coils around and it comes back after a day or so ..

Im pretty sure Im on the right track ....will do a compresstion/leakdown before I rip into it tho ...

Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
I run the Cometic,there the best but expensive.
Most guys run the Felpro.
Don't know why there not listed as 5.4 but 4.6 is the same.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

You can reuse the valve cover gaskets and maybe the intake manifold gaskets if they look good and your careful.
I've had good luck with the valve covers but not so much with the intakes. (had to replace them.)
Have you pulled your heads before Phil? Is it a real PIA or what? Just read a blurb in Popular Mechanics where the dealer told a guy with an F250 they would have to pull the body off to replace a stripped plug, wondering why they wouldnt just pull the head?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you purchase a shop manual and read up on the procedure. You can then decide if you feel competent enough to do it yourself.
There are three ways that I know of to R&R a head gasket.
1-Engine in the truck. PITA trying to set the head back on the block and not scratch the surface. Impossible to do if you are using head studs.
2-Remove the engine and do it on a stand. A little more work involved but the work area is much less restrictive.
3-Lift the cab. A lift or hoist is not something the average shade tree mechanic has lying around.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by LittleTow
Have you pulled your heads before Phil? Is it a real PIA or what? Just read a blurb in Popular Mechanics where the dealer told a guy with an F250 they would have to pull the body off to replace a stripped plug, wondering why they wouldnt just pull the head?
I have not personally but my mechanic has many times. Unfortunately......He wont do it without pulling the motor! lol
Some guys do it wile it's in the truck and they say it's not that bad. I think the hard part would be putting them back on without screwing up anything.

Phil

Old 11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree that it is easiest with the motor out.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I know of one that said he re-installed the heads with headers attached (OBX LT's)- w/engine in the truck

That's what he said, not kidden lol. But I didn't see him, - would have liked to lol.

His user name is Jackal- (if any of you recall) and he did it on this site, has some pics, but not of the actual head installation (of course).

User Dynotech did the gaskets and went with PI heads on 97 5.4L recently. Engine in the truck. I believe he did an ECT mod of some kind, I have those pics in another album online. He also has a nice new blower set up in the basement that I would l like to get a hold of as well

Anyway, quite a few have done it without pulling the motor/cab. As JMC, Phil posts, it would be allot easier and you would most likely do a better job without everything in the way.

I'll probably never get the chance to do mine. With the engine @ around 300,000 miles, if mine EVER FAIL, the smarter thing to do would be replacing the motor I expect. (?)

Last edited by jbrew; 11-02-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: My proofing sucks!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
BTW, when and if you do this, get that timing right! You'll most likely only get ONE CHANCE at that ~

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...r-engines.html

Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM
jbrew thanks for that last post. I am rebuilding a 5.4 and wasjust about to start looking into the timing.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Lots of good info. guys, the motor probably slide out fairly easily sinse theres a mile in front of the motor - makes one wonder why they stuffed it so far back to begin with unless that was due to the V10.

Quick Reply: 01 head gasket job Please help