Was told I need a new engine, 5.4 V8. Have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was told I need a new engine, 5.4 V8. Have a question...

So I brought my truck into a Ford Dealership because I was hearing a rattling sound when it was starting up as well as getting a low oil pressure light for about a second.

Had it checked out and they came out and told me that I need a new engine, something with the camshaft is broken and the only way to fix it is to just replace the engine, he said Ford doesn't want them getting into it and to just send the engine back to the factory.

The good news is Ford is going to cover the engine under the Ford factory warranty and send me a factory rebuilt engine.

My question is this, is there anything I should be aware of when getting a factory rebuilt engine? Is it pretty much a brand new engine or is it used? Do new spark plugs come with it, what else comes with it? What will I not get new with it?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Key word is "rebuilt"......

If its a broken cam shaft you'll probably get a long block instead of a short block since the cams are part of the heads.....if you have them already make sure you get the 2008 revised heads with brown cop boots<<<these plugs are easier to change....

Nothing wrong with rebuilts....

Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
They said the problem was with the connecting rods, said Ford has a TSB on this and to perform a test where you look under a cap or something like that and that my engine failed the test. Ford recommends replacing the engine. Anyone ever hear of this?

They are replacing it with a new remanufactored engine. Is this good?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
They are checking for wear on the rod cap. I'm surprised that they did not question you about oil changes, and filters. Brand and viscosity of oil. Sounds as if they are taking care of you.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
They are checking for wear on the rod cap. I'm surprised that they did not question you about oil changes, and filters. Brand and viscosity of oil. Sounds as if they are taking care of you.
They did. I just bought the truck 2 months ago so they called the dealership I got it from and asked if they had any records, they did not. They said that they were going to cover it anyways.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Bostonian
First you said this... Had it checked out and they came out and told me that I need a new engine, something with the camshaft is broken and the only way to fix it is to just replace the engine, he said Ford doesn't want them getting into it and to just send the engine back to the factory.
Now you say this.... They said the problem was with the connecting rods, said Ford has a TSB on this and to perform a test where you look under a cap or something like that and that my engine failed the test. Ford recommends replacing the engine. Anyone ever hear of this?

They are replacing it with a new remanufactored engine. Is this good?
So what's really broke?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what year truck is this? just curious

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by str8t six
what year truck is this? just curious
His garage says a 2008, so I am assuming that is the one.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i cant believe the dealer is covering it! good deal for him!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'm confused. First you said something with the camshaft was broken and a later post stated the problem was with the connecting rods. Two entirely different issues.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I was kinda flustered when I first posted, as it had just happened. When I calmed down I called the dealer back to get the story again. He said it was the connecting rods. What are these?

It is a 2008 F150 Lariat.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F150Bostonian
He said it was the connecting rods. What are these?
They connect the crankshaft to the pistons.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you have a connecting rod bearing problem you do need a new short block minimum. If Ford will give you a new long block, consider yourself extremely lucky and be very nice to the dealer.

I would think this is a very rare problem with these engines. The previous owner must have abused it in some way or maybe ran it without putting oil in it for a while after an oil change.

Quick Reply: Was told I need a new engine, 5.4 V8. Have a question...