91 f150 5.0 strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I've got the same problem

Let me know if the new computer solves your problem. My '91 Bronco 5.0 with E4OD appears to have the same computer with the same problem. If you turn the key on and the fuel pump runs for a couple seconds then turns off, the truck will start and will run smooth (no CEL) for 30 seconds up to 20 minutes until it just suddenly shuts off (with fuel pump still running). When I turn it on and the fuel pump keeps running, I can only get it started with a bit of ether in the throttle body and it runs awful with the CEL on and generally dies within a couple of minutes. The truck had been sitting for 5 years with it started up only occasionally to move it out of the way (previous owner). I knew it ran, but wanted to have a good baseline to work from, so I installed new plugs, cap/rotor, fresh oil/filter and fuel filter. I've pulled the codes from the computer which did lead me to replace a defective TPS (throttle position sensor). It initially appeared that had solved the problem since the truck ran great and responded to throttle input properly for the next 3-4 run cycles I attempted. But by the end of the day I was back to having the engine refuse to start without ether and run poorly again. I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump relay, TFI module, and changed the fuel pump (which needed replacement anyway as it was weak at best). I cleaned the throttle body which was covered in crud and after doing all of that, the engine did run much better, but these random shutdowns and "no-starts" have been driving me nuts and making it impossible to trust the truck to even drive around the block.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBlue91
Let me know if the new computer solves your problem. My '91 Bronco 5.0 with E4OD appears to have the same computer with the same problem. If you turn the key on and the fuel pump runs for a couple seconds then turns off, the truck will start and will run smooth (no CEL) for 30 seconds up to 20 minutes until it just suddenly shuts off (with fuel pump still running).
Why don't you just pull the kick panel & smell the EEC?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I just received my new computer I getting ready to install it today but I'm nervous that something may have caused my computer to go bad and fry. I paid a $158 from autopartswarehouse.com and I do not want to fry my new computer also. Any thing I should check test before I install the new computer?
Oldblue I will let you know about computer.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I checked everything out installed the new computer and it runs perfect!!!
The fuel pumps start up prime the fuel system shut off and the truck starts on first crank. Thanks for the help everyone great website!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Finally, success!

After almost 3 weeks tracking down every lead on a used or rebuilt computer for my 1991 Bronco (5.0, E4OD, CA Emissions), I finally found one today at the local Pick N Pull. Someone had already pulled the underhood wiring, so it was a 3 minute job to remove. I pulled the covers and checked things over to be sure it didn't have any "fried" components before I bought it. Everything looked good, so I brought it home and installed it and the truck. It fired right up and runs great! I even got to drive it around the block a couple of times before parking it back in the driveway. Now it is time for a new set of tires (existing ones are at least 8 years old and have sat for so long they are cracked and have flat spots (driving down the paved street felt like a bumpy old dirt road) and a new radiator (darn plastic tank is cracked for no good reason). I also took the covers off my old computer and found one little resistor was burnt, but the unit itself did not smell burnt. 10 years ago, I could have taken the darn thing to work (a large electronics company who I no longer work for thanks to the "Dot bomb" recession) and had the resistor replaced in 5 minutes for no cost...but I digress. Thanks everyone for the information that helped me track down the problem. For such a simple fix, it sure was hard tracking down the right part.

Quick Reply: 91 f150 5.0 strange problem