98 5.4L Driver Side Valve Cover Tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 5.4L Driver Side Valve Cover Tube

The tube came out that goes to the air intake on the driver side valve cover. It is a plastic piece but seems to not fit tightly back into the valve cover. Does anybody know if a replacement is available? I may just jb weld it in place if no part can be found

Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by alschmid
The tube came out that goes to the air intake on the driver side valve cover. It is a plastic piece but seems to not fit tightly back into the valve cover. Does anybody know if a replacement is available? I may just jb weld it in place if no part can be found
Thats your PCV * positive crankcase ventilation* its so blow by gases and pressure can be removed from the engine and back into the intake.

a local parts store should have that tube. and as long as its not leaking *Spray some wd40 startin fluid or somthing along those lines and see if your motor studders and it will tell you if its leaking....or just listen for what sounds like a vacuum leak

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I went to the parts store and they did not have it. Did a search on rock auto and could not find it either.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
really?? strange humm maybe PM Jbrew or hopfully he'll jump in here. i know its the PCV tube but i dont know the tec. name of it.

ill look around online and what not see what i can find

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Anybody know the p/n for the driver side pcv tube on a 98 5.4l. Mine fits very loosely and needs a grommet or a new tube.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I am going to just put a vent on that side since all it does is fill the intake with oily residue. Rockauto has the part to do it, of course you'll need to block off the tube at the intake.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:02 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
it is not supposed to break. There is no replacement part. JB Weld or some sort of glue should seal it. Maybe some of the glue they use on plastic, nylon, PVC pipes might work.

Originally Posted by galaxie64
I am going to just put a vent on that side since all it does is fill the intake with oily residue. Rockauto has the part to do it, of course you'll need to block off the tube at the intake.
You will need a tune to compensate for the unmetered air flowing into the throttle body from the passenger side.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Just one of the half a dozen things I'll need addressed in a tune. Although the P. side will still be hooked up via the PCV valve. So it would technically be getting less unmetered air flow. Now I am wondering about a complete PCV delete though and just run two crankcase vents.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM
pm me your address and I'll send the grommet and pcv off a 98 4.6 romeo if you think it will work. Its tight and didn't leak at all. I'm not sure however that the grommet is the same size of the 5.4??? Other than that Go to a local wrecking yard, find a donor. should be able to get the part for next to nothing.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the offer shockey. I am going to try to jb weld the tube back in place and see if this works. I hope the JB weld will stand up to the temps.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the offer shockey. I am going to try to jb weld the tube back in place and see if this works. I hope the JB weld will stand up to the temps.
Before you jb weld it you might consider a permatex silicon. I'm thinking the jb weld might be to "rigid" and not allow for temp fluctuation. Just an idea.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Great ideal. Plus if I ever need to remove the hose from the tube again the silicone will be a lot easier to clean than the jb weld. The tube came off b/c the hose was "molded" to the plastic piece. I tried to use a screwdriver to pry off the hose but the force required must have broke the piece off of the valve cover.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Kragen auto has the PVC valve and hoses for the 5.4L.... not very hard to swap out, they come with a rubber bushing for a perfect seal...

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
This is for the driver side tube without the pcv. The passenger side tube has a pcv and grommet. I ended up putting some jb weld on the piece and rounded it off on my bench grinder for a tight fit. I did not even need the silicone with this method as it fits very tight in the valve cover.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reading this thread made me wanna cry. as you stated, NO it is NOT the pcv, that is the passenger side valve cover.

as for the nub on the driver's side, it is epoxied into the valve cover, so no, resetting it in there with epoxy (jb weld) will not hurt it.

Yes, you can run breathers, and if you are going to run one, it is best to do both sides to keep it even. whoever it was that responded about a tune for unmetered air, omg you gave me a headache. NO NO NO. breather on the valve cover, plug on the bung in the intake tube. no extra air is getting in.

I ran breathers on mine for over a year and loved that I wasnt sucking oil through my intake constantly, however, I did then have large amounts of oil spilling out of the filters and onto my headers below, which as you can imagine, is not a good thing to have happen. I reinstalled the whole pcv system when I did my build. Just my $.02

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 98 5.4L Driver Side Valve Cover Tube