Doubt on oil type and clatter noise (5.4L)

Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Doubt on oil type and clatter noise (5.4L)

Hello;

I own a Lariat CrewCab 06 4x4 5.4L, it has 60k miles, I use Castrol Syntec 5w30, the oil changes are 6K miles. Since two weeks ago I hear a clatter noise on the first 5-10 seconds when the engine is started, it happens in the mornings only and after this time the noise disappears.

My questions are:

Is there a risk to make a damage to the engine during the time of the noise?, is it normal?
can I do something to avoid this noise, like to change the oil weight/brand/type or use an oil additive as Lucas oil, Prolong, etc.? (I have never used it before)

Any comments and suggestions will be welcome !

Thank you in advance for your answers.

J.Leal

Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I have almost the exact same truck as you miles,year everything. I used motorcraft 5-20 and i'll get the same noise every once in a while on a cold start but it doesn't last nowhere near 5-10 seconds..maybe 3 at the most.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by mmelton005
I have almost the exact same truck as you miles,year everything. I used motorcraft 5-20 and i'll get the same noise every once in a while on a cold start but it doesn't last nowhere near 5-10 seconds..maybe 3 at the most.
Mmelton005, yes you are correct, the noise last around 3 seconds only, I made a mistake on the original post. But is it normal?

Thank you for your comment.

Regards,
J.Leal.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your 06 is a 3 valve you should probably use the 5w20 that is recomended for your motor and make sure you are running 7 quarts. Some oil change places try to get away with putting less in.

What oil filter are you using?

There are only a few out there with the proper anti-drainback valve. I was using a Wix on mine which is supposed to be one of the good ones but I switched back to the Motorcraft and noticed a difference.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Oil filter?

+1 on the oil filter suggestion.

Go to your local wal mart and pick up a bunch of motorcraft FL 820-S filters.....

The lack of anti-drainback valves in cheap filters can cause long term wear to the VCT components...

Also, why risk it.... get the motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 there as well... $14 for a 5 quart bin... plus a couple of other quarts and you can be fully in compliance with the engine specs.

Last edited by smentzer; 10-05-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added info about oil...
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by smentzer
+1 on the oil filter suggestion.

Go to your local wal mart and pick up a bunch of motorcraft FL 820-S filters.....

The lack of anti-drainback valves in cheap filters can cause long term wear to the VCT components...

Also, why risk it.... get the motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 there as well... $14 for a 5 quart bin... plus a couple of other quarts and you can be fully in compliance with the engine specs.
Thank you Smentzer for your feedback.

I am currently using the Bosch oil filter "premium" which should provides a good performance but since I switched to it the noise started. I will back to Motorcraft 820 and hope the noise disapear. Do you know if the Motocraft oil filter can be used with fully synthetic oil and replace it at 6k miles?

Regards,
J.Leal

Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, Bosch filters aren't great. Read this:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=1748949

6Kmi is too much. Have you read the maintenance brochure with the owner's manual? 3-4Kmi is more common; maybe 5Kmi with premium oil & filter.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You can use a Motorcraft oil filter with any motor oil. I'd also suggest using the Ford recommended 5w-20 oils and skip any synthetics. They buy you nothing but a lighter wallet. No synthetic on the market, regardless of price, is going to add one mile to the life of your engine. Any additive/formulation package that is formulated in a synthetic base can also be formulated in a synthetic basestock with the same results. I'm using the Motorcraft 5w-20 blended oil and a Motorcraft filter with 7500 mile OCIs. I get single digit wear metals and TBN is still above 2.0. I mostly drive hiway about 60% of the time. I also drive like yer grandfather because I like seeing big fuel mileage numbers with every tank- 22-24.5 mpg hiway. Motorcraft oils are now formulated with a white, acid washed, GpIII basestock which is ultra pure. You won't buy a better oil for your engine....but it's yer truck and yer money.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stick with the MC oil filter and recommended viscosity oil, 5w20. These VCT engines are designed to use that viscosity oil. The noise you hear on startup is the timing chain tensioner bleeding off oil pressure, but when the engine is started pressure comes up and the noise disappears. I use the stock MC oil and filter and my truck does it from time to time.

If you want to learn about the VCT system click the flat rate tech in my sig, then click episode 22.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, If I keep it at 1900 RPM's or lower on the e-way, I have a feeling I could get great mileage. As it is, I cruise @ 78-79 mph (22-2400 RPM's ) and I'm the slow one around here. 16 mpg at that speed/RPM.

Use the oil/filter Ford recommends. That's truly the best you can do IMO.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Thumbs up I will follow your recomendation, thank you

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all your recomendations, all of them arrive to the same point: use MC filter and 5W20 dyno oil (better if it is MC also).

I am going to change the oil filter immediately, but should I change the current oil also (it has 1.5k miles only) or can I wait until next oil change is required? (+5 k miles). The current oil is Castrol Syntec 5w30 and I donīt want to waste the oil while it still is in a good condition, but on the other hand I donīt want to run any risk with this oil..., what to do?

Thank you a lot for all your inputs

J.Leal

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Castrol is fine, but remember to fill the new filter before installing it. Use a blunt tool in the outer holes to open the drainback valve so it fills faster, and more-completely.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Thumbs up Thank you...

Dear All,

Today I replaced the Bosch oil filter by Motorcraft 820. I will change the Castrol syntec oil by Motorcarft 5w20 in 1.5k miles more, then I will stick on MC oil filter and MC oil only.

My curiosity to use "better" products to my truck is gone!

Thank you to all of you for your advises

J.Leal

Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skeeterboat
Dear All,

Today I replaced the Bosch oil filter by Motorcraft 820. I will change the Castrol syntec oil by Motorcarft 5w20 in 1.5k miles more, then I will stick on MC oil filter and MC oil only.

My curiosity to use "better" products to my truck is gone!

Thank you to all of you for your advises

J.Leal
Wise move. Certainly nothing wrong with the Castrol syntec but I'm betting the MC is a lot cheaper, especially if you buy it at Wal Mart. I have plenty of MC in qts. but when I change my SIL's oil I buy 2- 5 qt. jugs. Takes 7 qts., that way there's more than enough for the next change with only buying 1 jug. It's cheaper that way and you'll need oil next change anyway. You could buy 3 jugs and then have 2 changes covered, plus an extra qt. I always keep a stock of MC 5-20 and 820S filters on hand anyway. Excellent oil at one of the best prices you'll ever see for the quality you get. A semi-synthetic for far less than most good dino oils today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doubt on oil type and clatter noise (5.4L)