6.0 swap into a my 05

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.0 swap into a my 05

I remember awhile back seeing a thread about someone who was shopping a cheby motor into their ford. I searched and cannot find it. I have an aluminum block 6.0 just sitting in my shop. My plans are to build it completely with a low compression ratio perfect for boost and put some trick flow heads on there and get them ported and a fast 90 intake. Also a custom grind nasty cam and probably a single turbo. Should make gobs and gobs of power and be pretty bullet proof. I think i'll throw some spray on there too just for the hell of it. Just with the NA 6.0 I would be making more power than most boosted 5.4s. I am really just looking for info at this point. Swapping in the motor isn't the issue it's all of the wiring and the tranny of course. Thanks for the help guys i'll need as much info as I can get as far as the wiring goes and what I am getting myself into. This vehicle is very special to me since it was my first car and was also a present from the most influential person in my life. I will never get rid of her and the mods will keep on coming as well!

Please keep all of your petty remarks to yourself. I don't care if you think ford is better than chevys or whatever. Unless you have something useful to add to the discussion then take it somewhere else because I could careless.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tranny custom mounts exhaust and all.. I wouldnt attempt any pushrod swap and it could be any engine major PITA. Good luck. Hope you have major fabrication skills and all. This must be a 2WD truck?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like me a cheby but loves me ford

sounds like an interesting project, if the funds are there, anything is possible!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you'd be better off doing a harness splice with your truck, and running a 4L80E behind the 6.0 then just would need to do a custom driveshaft instead of doing a custom bellhousing adapter.

Basically you'd have chevy PCM running engine and Trans, and then your harness for the cab and exterior lighting.

As for custom stuff, you'd have to weld in engine mounts, transmission mounts, fuel lines, exhaust and driveshaft. Depending on where the engine/trans mounts line up you may have to move the trans crossmember forward or rearword or make a new one etc

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought all 6.0 where truck engines and iron blocks?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
no you can get the aluminum 6.0 in the GTO and a few other vehicles

the trucks and escalades got the Iron blocks

Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I think the last guy that talked about putting a Chevy motor in hes truck on here got pissed and left...lol

I was always of the opinion that ( it's your truck, put whatever ya want in it ).

With that being said,
it will be a expensive,time consuming job. But I'm sure you can make it work.

I just don't have the patience for something like that.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Phil

Last edited by phil6608; 10-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
you could always just sell the 6.0...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I could sell the 6.0 but honestly the LS motors respond 1000 times better to mods then the fords do. I have full bolt ons as we speak and the only thing left is to boost it. Even boosted i'm still looking at probably 450 hp. With the LS I could make that much without boost. It's very easy to squeeze 600+hp out of one of these motors. Hell my uncle just did his first resto mod in a 69 chevelle convertible. He put a 6.0 in it and did NOTHING to the engine at all and just threw a magnacharger and longtubes on there and it's putting down 536RWHP on a conservative tune and only 8lbs of boost. I would love to do this swap, just one more thing that set's my truck apart from everyone elses. My other option is to just throw a blower on the 5.4 but i'm still stuck with low numbers and for the same price I could build one hell of a motor that makes more power than my truck would blown. I mean if I did't already have the block with is a grand alone then I wouldn't even be considering this. The blowers I would use would either be a whipple, saleen, or the new e-force supercharger. All have a price tag of 5k plus. It's no secret that roots blowers are very hard on your drive line. I would still have to beef up the tranny, replace the drive shaft, and beef up the rear end because of the amount of boost I would be running. So either way it's pretty much inevitable no matter what direction I decide to go that I will have to replace those parts at one time or another.

Last edited by Jwool15; 10-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
honestly you know it'd be easier to swap in an aluminum Ford 6.0 (5.4 based) motor

however, there's a truck in central Texas with a chevy 5.3 installed, I'll see if I can remember the shop or who showed me the link so you can tonctact thema boutt eh details of the motor mounts, radiator, drievshaft etc

Old 10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
drop it in a stang or something. Don't waste it on your truck. just my .02

Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Jwool15
*snipped*
Waste of time and money. Unless you really want to do this you are better off sticking to something that is not cross bread.

If you want to go fast go buy a V-6 camaro cheep and put the built engine down in it, not only does it weigh MUCH less, its also going to handle much better, and have better trans and rear end choices.

Heck leave the V-6 badging and body parts and dump the exhaust and make it a sleeper.

Honestly, I can see the point. Its true the LS and LT engine respond very well to just about anything, and having a one off truck (or near one off) is also cool.
But, unless you are a hard core gear head, and have air tools as well as good fab skills you are looking at 4-8 months at least. Who know the pricing.

Here is what you are looking at.

Wiring, needs re done or spliced. PITA
Engine mounts.
Trans swap or custom made mount.
Drive line likely needs re done.
your gonna have to get it tuned.

Last edited by Titan357; 10-05-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow.... crazy talk

Aluminum block chebby 6.0 in a ford truck? Blashphemy!

Seriously though, this is a crazy job. There is no doubt that the LS motors are awesome, but the sheer amount of ELECTRICAL fabrication that is going to be required is ridiculous.... the mechanical fab is rough enough

Pushing 600+ HP, the rear end isn't going to last long, either... so you are gonna need to build that up as well.

You should also consider upgrading the brakes as well.... that much HP and torque is gonna generate a lot of forward momentum.... and unless you plan on driving on a dry lake bed...

If it were me, I would sell the 6.0 find a used heavy duty diesel motor.... build the hell out of it and beef up the front suspension and drivetrain. Diesel has torque you can feel

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I talked to the guy who builds and works on pretty much all of our cars out in Lubbock today. He completely made the wiring harness and did all of the wiring for the 6.0 we dropped in the 69 chevelle. He said it wouldn't be a problem and is up to the challenge. I have complete faith in him just because he has done some amazing work for us in the past and has pretty much worked on close to all of the 30+ cars in our collection. Right now everythings kinda on hold till I get the money from my settlement. So in the meantime I will keep doing research and figure out what I want to do with this bad boy. If the 6.0 doesn't go in my truck then I have a 68 camaro that i'll be putting it in and pulling the 383 out of it and putting a paxton on it then throwing it in our black 57 chevy we just got back from paint.

Here's the camaro

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
if it was me, i'd go with the newest ford engine that comes from the factory with 800 hp. sounds like you're really into it though, so you'll make it work, no doubt.

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap into a my 05