Spark Plugs (Dire Need of Help)

Old 10-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark Plugs (Dire Need of Help)

(Note: This is a double post. Moderators should feel free to delete the one in the 2004-2008 forum)

Hey,

I changed my front four spark plugs, a couple weeks ago, but ran out of time. So I decided to work on my back four spark plugs, last night. Things went bad, for some reason, and 3 out of four of them broke. I used my Lisle Tool to successfully remove the back two on the passenger side, but it wouldn't pull the one from the driver side rear. It got most of the fourth thread into the shell, but then it felt like I was turning a screw in a stripped thread. When I go to pull it, nothing comes out, just the puller and shaft. There's very little room in there and my hands have seen better days.

I need my truck ASAP and can't really afford a trip to a mechanic. I can't even get the second spark plug from the back on the driver's side. I can't tell if there's a rock or something down there, but my socket won't get a grip on the spark plug. I do have the Rotunda tool, as well, but I don't have anything to use on the threading tool and there's definitely still porcelain down in the shell (which, of course, the Lisle tool has compacted into the base, now).

Does anybody have ideas? Any ideas at all? I was hoping to get this finished up today because I'm back to work tomorrow. I've stopped for the moment because I was getting rather pissed off with nothing working.

As an aside, can someone tell me the numbering scheme to these spark plugs? The four on the passenger side are done. The four on the driver's side (from front to back) #1 and #2 are done, #3 I can't get the socket to seat and #4 is the one that I wrote about above.

EDIT: I searched cylinder numbering (not spark plug number) and it found what I was looking for. So the problems are with cylinders #7 & #8.

Last edited by mtylerb; 10-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the past i have used a shop vac with some garden hose duct taped to the vac to suck stuff out of the spark plug recesses. You might try that on #3. Cant help you out with the rest. Sorry....

Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twintips_17
In the past i have used a shop vac with some garden hose duct taped to the vac to suck stuff out of the spark plug recesses. You might try that on #3. Cant help you out with the rest. Sorry....
Whatever it was came free with some persuasion from an air compressor and letting it sit in carb cleaner. Don't know what it was, but it broke down fairly readily.

As for #8, a total of about 9 hours was spent on it before it finally came free with the help of a crowbar leveraged against the firewall and pushing down against the Lisle removal tool. All is good!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, am I glad I don't have a 2004-2008 F150. And to think I was wanting to buy a used F150.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plugs (Dire Need of Help)