best way to improve gas milage on 5.4L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
If you haven't seen Craposaurus's other posts, it pretty apparent he forgot to pay his brain bill this month.

- NCSU
pm sent Sir

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it in the drive way and drive a compact or bike..

Really Just like the others said here, Really a lot come down to driving habits. and maintance..
I was getting about 16 MPG before the engine went bust.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't you just a basket full of good ideas? I'm surprised you didn't suggest getting a prius.

- NCSU
(Prius like Jeff Dunham,,

Your driving a powder blue prius, your holding a 3 pound chihuahua, there pretty christmas decoration all over your car, and you make a living with dolls, your gay.... click... lol... from:

Spark of insanity) LMAO

Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't you just a basket full of good ideas? I'm surprised you didn't suggest getting a prius.

- NCSU
Ummmmm yeah...... Why don't you go back to dreaming you are somebody.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Why don't you go back to dreaming you are somebody.
you got me on that one! However, I'm not the one who thinks they're the "tough guy"....

Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Well this is the reason I counsel my sons to choose their wives wisely as well as to wait until at least 25 to get married.

Since marriage is for life, as God commanded, nothing good will come from a divorce.

As a Christian I would like to see the Old Testament laws of stoning come back. At least 90% of marital issues are the wives problems. It started in the Garden of Eve and hasn't stopped.

Personally I would say suck it up and try to reconcile with your wife without giving up your authority as husband and father.
I'll bet your wife and kids don't respect you at all as you obviously don't respect them any.

At least you're a dying breed and thank God for that!

- NCSU

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by str8t six
gotts mod? exhaust, slow acceleration. shifts under 2K
this.

the best way to chage your mileage is the gas pedal.

i used the 2K diet on my truck and i got alot better mileage. but its just so much fun to lean into the go fast pedal to hear the truck.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Best way to get better mpg...

e-fans... homemade or buy a kit...

keep random things out of the truck .. dont want 100 pounds chilling in the bed at all times....

keep your foot out of the gas pedal...

better flowing muffler and intake <---- dont do much tho..... but if you do both and you get a dead on tune... from troyer <-- dislike them because of there wait times... I think im the only one who had to wait o most a year tho... I should have been refunded my money and had it done free to tell you the truth... Theres other companys out there too...

but thats pretty much all you can do besides keeping up with your O2 replacement and haveing good spark plugs and what not.. thats things you should be doing anyways

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by ssj4shane
Best way to get better mpg...

e-fans... homemade or buy a kit...

keep random things out of the truck .. dont want 100 pounds chilling in the bed at all times....
keep your foot out of the gas pedal...
how could i forget an E-fan! best thing to do go to a scrap yard and buy a lincon mark 8 or a crown vic E-fan. my junk yard sells them for 30 bucks.

i have a simple switch *batt to swtich to fan* but you can get automatic ones that you shove in your radator.

i think i saw 2-4 more MPG and alot more HP as well

Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM
i have mine on a relay setup to the AC so my fans on when my trucks on... my wideband is setup to it too.. so if i see my wideband not on i know my fans not on

Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
On the MPG for the 5.4,,,,,this is a Ripleys Believe it or not. I have a 04 FX4 5.4, 285.70.18 BFG's, Gott Mod, Mobil 1 5w20, 3.73 reargear. On the hwy w cruise set at 70 I am getting 20, around town 17. Now I am older and no longer drive like a bat outta hell but, that's the deal.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I thought about trading in for something with better gas milage, but duh, I own my truck. $300 a month in gas beats $200 a month in gas if I also havee to pay a $500 a month truck payment

Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
With regards to MPG, the best things are free. That connection between the brain and right foot, traveling as light as possible and tires aired up will give you as much as you can gain by spending a bunch of money.

Very little you can do add-on wise to gain significant mpg or at least gain enough to get the price of the improvement back fro the fuel savings. At 15K miles per year, it will take two years of driving at +1 mpg to pay off a $500 parts expense, assuming the price of fuel states the same.

Same goes for trading the truck in. Unless you buy something that get 100 mpg, it will take a long time for the fuel savings to pay back a 60 month payment schedule vs a paid for truck that gets 15 mpg.

Don't use the built-in MPG gauge or most programmer MPG readouts to claim mpg. They are notoriously inaccurate unless they actually measure fuel flow (most don't). Every one I have tested read 2-4 mpg optimistic. My Gryphon would average 16-17 and the new VIVID about the same, but when I carefully measured miles driven by gallons used the truck was getting 13-15 in the same driving cycle. The VIVID, at least, allows you to enter in the calculated (miles/gallons) mileage and it corrects to read more accurately. In both cases, my tire size was measured to the nearest millimeter so the odo reads spot-on.

Speaking of tires, the right or wrong tire can gain or lose you 2.5 mpg. On my truck, when I run Michelin 285/70R17 LTX2 all seasons, I get 2.4 mpg more than when I run 285/70R17 MT FCIIs. The Michelins are a street, all season tread while the FCs could be called an aggressive all terrain or a mild mudder. I run the Michelins in winter and the Mickey's for summer but I tested them carefully against each other one warm summer day over exactly the same course (within about .5 miles of each other measured) at the same speeds and the milder tread delivered 2.4 mpg more. Besides better ice and snow performance, the Michelins offset the about 1.5 mpg I lose on winter fuel and cold days.

I put a winch and winch bumper on my truck.... sucked up an honest 1 mpg between the weight and the loss of aerodynamics.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Suspended
light foot on the pedal.

No mod will pay for itself.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a $1500 beater economy car. Drive it when you dont need the truck. Save wear and tear on the truck and save gas at the same time..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Lighten up the truck as much as you can, starting with the engine, then get someone to push.

Quick Reply: best way to improve gas milage on 5.4L?