Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
2000 Ford F-150

battery cable failure on F150

I thought I should share my experience re: the above. I had a "no start" situation a few days ago. When I turned the key to start, I only got a click from the starter relay located on the passenger side firewall. Battery was good. So I went to remove the starter thinking it had failed. When I began to unscrew the nut on the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable attaches, I discovered the copper lug on the end of the battery cable had corroded away to nothing. The cable basically fell off leaving half the lug attached to the starter.
So, I removed the positive cable completely. It is part of an "assembly". The assembly includes the negative battery cables and a fusible link, basically a maze of cables about 3 feet long. The dealer wanted 315 bucks for a new assembly. They don't sell the positive cable separately.
Instead, I performed surgery on my positive cable end that had corroded off. I ground the remaining half of the lug down to totally copper in appearance. I cut it a bit shorter to remove the green corrosion on the very tip of the cable wires. With a nice copper end (leaving the factory crimped part still on), I bought a new copper lug from my auto parts store. I believe I used a lug for 2/0 cable and a 5\16 hole. My cable end would not fit inside without cutting one side of the lug open a bit, but with that slit, I pushed the cable inside the new lug. Got out the propane torch and filled the lug with new solder and around the end and where I made the slit. Worked real nice. Then I stretched some 1\2 inch heat shrink tubing over the entire lug and cable and heated it. Better than factory. Truck started fine after this. Total cost, 2.50 for a lug and 4.50 for a lifetime supply of big heat shrink tubing.
Moral of the story, check your positive cable ends. A ford mechanic at the dealer told me he has seen this cable failure often on F150's.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
Just an FYI Rock auto sells the motor craft cable for $76 at least for my 99 they do.. I'm thinking about replacing mine..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM