Help! 06 F150 XL stalling.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 06 F150 XL stalling.

For the past couple of months my truck would stall out while driving. There will be no warning. When I am driving and give it gas ready to past someone or to take off from a red light the truck will just stop running I could be on the road doing 35 go to give it gas and it’s like the truck was turned off, no knocking or pinging no hesitation just stop running. I thought it could be the fuel filter, so I replace it. But it still doing it. It doesn’t do it all the time about 2 to 3 times a month. Any ideals what it could be.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
There is a module above the spare tire that controls your fuel and of course, the fuel pump could be stopping and starting... Just 2 quick ideas.

The module develops cracks and stops working or works intermittently.. There are a number of write-up here in the forums......

Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
I have no problem with replacing either one I just like to know which one to start with.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Which engine?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
just a quick and cheap possible solution is to clean the fuel system out, preferably with chevron fuel injector cleaner-use a good concentration,read the label. use it for a few tanks, then every once in awhile. i have a 2006 that was going into limp mode on occasion with no pattern. after turning the truck off then on again it was fine and this lasted for a few days at least. the chevron cleaner solved my problem, not sure if you have the exact same thing, but try it.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by dozerdog
just a quick and cheap possible solution is to clean the fuel system out, preferably with chevron fuel injector cleaner-use a good concentration,read the label. use it for a few tanks, then every once in awhile. i have a 2006 that was going into limp mode on occasion with no pattern. after turning the truck off then on again it was fine and this lasted for a few days at least. the chevron cleaner solved my problem, not sure if you have the exact same thing, but try it.
Would this help with my truck as well? 1992 F150, 5.0/302, 157900 miles.
My truck seems to run fine for a while at city street speeds. Then when I come to a light and stop, the engine spits and sputters as if it wants to die. I have to throw it in neutral and rev up to about 2k rpm. This seems to be a repeatable cycle these days.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Fishing827, The module above the spare requires a visual inspection from the write-up. If it is faulty, there will be visible cracks. Find the write-up and view the photos... It is probably the cheaper of the two. To access the fuel pump, you either have to lift the bed or drop the tank.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
old fordfart: it may help you, it is something that is a cheap,easy thing to try. it costs $5-6 a bottle,each treats up to 15 gallons of gas, i think. it can't hurt for the price! try it a few tanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I have tride gas treatments. I think the first thing I will do next is to replace the module over the gas tank. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
old fart it may be that stupid Air/idle valve on ur throttle body, have had fords then yrs and they have always givin me hell, u might try cleanin it first. is ur truck spittin spudderin or the throttle fluxuating up an down? shlda asked that first i guess

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I replaced the air idle control valve. It helped out a lot! Still getting occasional rough idle. It is hard to tell, but I am thinking now I am getting hesitation during acceleration. (I'm still new to this old truck)

Pulled the spark plugs. All were clean like new. Wires appear to new as well.

What about the throttle body position sensor? This will give hesitation? Are they adjustable? Is there a quick and simple way to adjust 'em?

Anyone live nearby in Arizona?

Last edited by Old fordfart; 09-06-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: slow thinker
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM
there aint no tellin my old bronco give me hell like that forever, one thing one day then somethin different another, guess all them yrs of mudding and the trips in the lake prolly didnt help much

Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Old fordfart
I replaced the air idle control valve. It helped out a lot! Still getting occasional rough idle. It is hard to tell, but I am thinking now I am getting hesitation during acceleration. (I'm still new to this old truck)

Pulled the spark plugs. All were clean like new. Wires appear to new as well.

What about the throttle position sensor? This will give hesitation? Are they adjustable? Is there a quick and simple way to adjust 'em?

Anyone live nearby in Arizona?
I installed a new throttle position sensor this morning. It appeared to help my idle problem a ton. ! Went for a drive. When the gas pedal is pushed hoard, engine spits and sputters, rpm drop down to about 1k, check enfgine light comes on. Let it idle a bit, all seems to be ok. Tried punching it again, it it all happened all over.

Is there a chance I installed the tbps wrong?

What else could it be?

Last edited by Old fordfart; 09-09-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: slow thinker
Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Old fordfart
I installed a new throttle position sensor this morning. It appeared to help my idle problem a ton. ! Went for a drive. When the gas pedal is pushed hoard, engine spits and sputters, rpm drop down to about 1k, check enfgine light comes on. Let it idle a bit, all seems to be ok. Tried punching it again, it it all happened all over.

Is there a chance I installed the tbps wrong?

What else could it be?
Anybody there?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old fordfart,
You might have a vacuum leak.
Check your intake gaskets.
Primarily the front and back valley ones.
With the truck idling take some carb cleaner and spray it at the suspected areas. If the idle falls off you've found your leak.
Caution don't spray around hot areas like the exhaust manifolds.

JMHO

Last edited by 88racing; 09-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! 06 F150 XL stalling.