passenger bank not firing

Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passenger bank not firing

make a long story short had misfire in 1,2,4....changed the plugs (yes they are motor craft) coils and injectors....no change swapped coils no change...now 3 is not firing at all. the whole bank is dead....it is a 2000 f 150 4.6....any ideas?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Firing order is 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 so if just the passengerside bank is dead then you'll have to suspect a fuel or base timing concern. Do you know if the plugs are not firing or are they firing but you are not getting fuel/air ignition on the compression stroke? I would perform a compression test on it if the plugs are firing for sure and you are getting fuel to that bank. Could be a couple other things as well. Any noise related to this prior to the dead bank? Were you driving when this happened or did it just not start one day. How many miles on the truck?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
the motor has maybe 15000 on it and yes i was driving it. no noise just started running like a coil pack went out,ran my scan tool and it said 1,2,4 misfire so I did the plugs first then the coil packs then the injectors....just ran a test to see if it was in the harness and that all checked out....thinking maybe the chain jumped on me....going to go pull the plugs and run a comp test right after i eat. thanks dynotech

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What do you have, coil packs or Individual coils (COP System)??

Reason I ask, their two completely different systems and the 2000 models came with either or.

"Packs" are in charge of more than one cylinder, hence the word "pack" = a pack of cylinders.

CoilOverPlug (COP) systems, consist of dedicated coils, 1 per cylinder. Their not "packs"..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM
they are cop's and I can rule them out and the timing chain also....leaning more towards stuck valves....only took on reading so far and the compression was 0

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ajas
they are cop's and I can rule them out and the timing chain also....leaning more towards stuck valves....only took on reading so far and the compression was 0
That could just be a follower, -easy fix.....Maybe. Pull the cover, -see what's going on.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM

One follower maybe easy but with multiple missfires on the same bank it may be several followers off which means something else is going on. Usually a zero compression will be an intake follower off or bent valve. I agree with brew, remove the cam cover and have a look. If more than one cyl follower is off then look closely at the cam bearing caps for signs of burning. Even remove the front cam bearing cap and inspect the bearing surface for melting or burning. ( only remove one cap at a time replacing the other before removing the next) Any chance you lost oil pressure? Loss of sufficent oil pressure can allow the lash adjusters to go soft and allow a follower to pop off as well. This is all assuming of course that followers are displaced.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM
thanks guys I will be doing that this weekend

Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 AM

I should mention that while the cam cover is off check the timing chain for tension. If it's real loose then there is a very slight possibility that it slipped a tooth or more. I have seen chains that were very loose and flopping around so much that you would think it's impossible for them not to jump time but they didn't. So a loose chain is not good but not a true indicator of a timing problem either. A broken chain is almost always because there was loss of lubrication to the cam bearings causing the cam to start siezing in its bearing bores slowing or stopping the chain and obviously breaking it. I don't want to assume this is what you have going on and I hope its something much less catastrophic but I'm just trying to provide some insight for you as I'm heading upnorth. No computor up there, jbrew and others here can guide you through anything you may incounter. Good luck with your repair whatever it turns out to be.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 07-16-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: passenger bank not firing