2005 5.4 3v injector letter: Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 07M08

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jayjaysin
So if the 3v engine is in the 05-08 models, do all 3v engines have this potential issue, or is it only the 05 models?
Ford received a batch of bad injectors from a supplier. It affected only SOME of the 2005 models and no other year.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any way to tell what month(s) of manufacture this applies to? My step-father has a 2005 5.4 he bought new and I just want to make sure he is aware of this. I'm sure if his is affected, he will want to go ahead and replace the injectors himself before he has problems. I will find out for sure, but I believe his was manufactured in Feb or March of 2005.

Thanks in advance !

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 navigator, had the stuck open injector and hydrolocked. Vehicle has 132,000 miles. Ford will only state that it's beyond the 120,000 mile warranty. My position is they KNEW they placed bad injectors in the vehicles, this isn't just some random part failure. I'm looking at taking this to court. Anyone have any experience or advice regarding my course of action. Are there currently any class action suits over this?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
It's not a recall because it's not a highway safety issue. It is simply an extended warranty.

With 132k, you aren't going to get anywhere, sorry about that. The extended warranty has expired. Taking it to court is going to be a waste of time and money. They did not KNOW the injectors were potentially faulty when they built the vehicles, this is something that showed up as a trend later on and they had no obligation to extend the warranty - they did under a "customer satisfaction program". They had no obligation whatsoever to extend the warranty at all, much less to lifetime or a longer period than they did.

Crash - read the linked letter in the first post in the thread.

Last edited by glc; 05-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by whonoz
I have an 05 navigator, had the stuck open injector and hydrolocked. Vehicle has 132,000 miles. Ford will only state that it's beyond the 120,000 mile warranty. My position is they KNEW they placed bad injectors in the vehicles, this isn't just some random part failure. I'm looking at taking this to court. Anyone have any experience or advice regarding my course of action. Are there currently any class action suits over this?
I don't think you will have a snowballs chance. I think the argument will be that it is reasonable to expect part failure with any given part in 132,000 miles and you just experienced normal failure. I think that any court will probably decide that Ford went the extra mile by warrantying the injectors for the 120,000 miles. I had an 05, and when I reached the 120,000 miles, I asked a trusted service guy at the dealer if he thought I should just replace all 8 since my extended warranty was out. His advice was no and stated that if they had lasted that long, there was no reason to expect failure. He said that any one could fail at anytime, but then so could a new one I might put in as a replacement. They are all moving parts, subject to failure. It had 135,000 on it when I sold it and none had failed.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by glc
It's not a recall because it's not a highway safety issue. It is simply an extended warranty.

With 132k, you aren't going to get anywhere, sorry about that. The extended warranty has expired. Taking it to court is going to be a waste of time and money. They did not KNOW the injectors were potentially faulty when they built the vehicles, this is something that showed up as a trend later on and they had no obligation to extend the warranty - they did under a "customer satisfaction program". They had no obligation whatsoever to extend the warranty at all, much less to lifetime or a longer period than they did.

Crash - read the linked letter in the first post in the thread.
I realize they didn't know they were faulty when they built the vehicle, they found out later they had "some" faulty injectors and chose to extend the warranty rather than fix the vehicles they sold that may have had faulty parts. Seems to me there is negligence there, a manufacturer shouldn't be allowed to discover they have bad parts in their product and not have to fix it. Quite some "customer satisfaction" program.

On another related note, is it possible (and less expensive) to fix the current engine, or is the best option to put in a new engine? The Ford garage mechanic just wrote on the repair docket that it sounds like top end damage, and possible low end damage but did not do any other work to determine exactly what is wrong, just recommended a new engine. Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that the connecting rod is bent, or could there be less damage that may be repairable? Another independent mechanic I take my cars to said he'd like to hear it run and do a compression test first and talked about rebuilding the current engine as an option, but I don't think he's all that familiar with the 5.4 3v and this particular problem and the damage that occurs when it hydrolocks.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If it starts and runs, it should be repairable.

a manufacturer shouldn't be allowed to discover they have bad parts in their product and not have to fix it.
Sorry, the business world just doesn't work like that. If a part fails under warranty, they fix it. If it doesn't fail, they don't touch it. The only exception is a NHTSA-mandated safety recall.

I'm just guessing here - but I bet I know why Ford chose the 120k mile number for the warranty extension - that was probably the published "design life" of the engine. NOTHING lasts forever.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Global Moderator &

With a hydrolock, at the very least, you have bent rods and usually they do structural damage inside, or even punch a hole in the block if not caught in time. If it were me, I would opt for a remanufactuerd engine and with that many miles, I would do a long block rather than a short block. A little extra money but I think it will eliminate a lot of problem chasing and be a longer term solution.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by whonoz
Don't know abt any injector class action suits but local Atlanta news reported last week some Atlanta owners had initiated a class action suit on the plug issue.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...k-plugs/nMkL2/

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had a 05 with the 5.4 it would get new injectors before it had 119999 miles on it or before 2015.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
If I had a 05 with the 5.4 it would get new injectors before it had 119999 miles on it or before 2015.
I agree with that....now that I'm aware of the issue AND the possibility and ramification of the hydrolock issue! If I even got that letter in 2007 I would have simply thought it was not a big issue and thought if the part fails they'll fix it, I didn't realize the engine could be toasted too. And while I agree with you that it would be a good idea to get new injectors before 120,000 miles, it WILL NOT be paid for by Ford if you do so. Expect a $500 (or more) bill to change out the injectors if you go to a Ford dealer.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Cool engine problem

Hi I'm new here so I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I'm having with my 06 f150: I was driving my truck last week and it just started to miss fire or something could not idle so I went home and removed all the old 3 pc plugs and put in new e3 plugs, now it still is acting the same and one mech said it could be the coil packs or the catylist(sp) converter. If anyone knows what to do please help I dont want to replace everything.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
05, 5.4, 3V on its 2nd motor, When I bought the truck in 2005, I took it it in for a "ticking" sound with less than 1000 miles on it. 3 weeks later, Ford dropped a new motor in it. I have had a bunch of nickel and dime issues since. I currently have 140k on the engine and I have developed many of the symptoms listed above. Dieseling from the motor at idle, misfire while accelerating, check engine light blinking at highway speeds (sometimes), gas mileage shot, and check engine light showing P0420 (cat system bank 1). Plugs changed with OEM at 120K. I limped the truck home last night after a 5-hour drive through the California desert. Any chance this doesn't cost me a fortune?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Exclamation 5.4L fuel injector - second time, second catalytic converter shot...

Hi All,

I'm on fuel injector number two under this customer satisfaction program - and would appreciate some help...

In December 2011 I experienced progressively hard starting, check engine light and multiple codes. The one and only Ford Dealer in Yellowknife, NWT couldn't take my vehicle in for weeks due to scheduling, so I kept working through the codes myself and researching on the internet. Thanks to many other affected 5.4L owners and subsequent discussions on the internet forums, I found the service letter for the fuel injectors and isolated my problem to Cyl. #2. I marched into Ford with the letter, codes and identified cyl in hand, and next thing I knew my tuck was repaired, plug and synthetic oil replaced - all under the customer satisfaction program. Before the repair though, I had driven my truck - for over two weeks - and all the while fuel had been pouring through cyl #2.

A couple months later, I got an engine code for P0420 and discovered that bank 1 of my catalytic converter was shot. By then I was away from Yellowknife and tried (unsuccessfully) with several dealers to get them to correlate the damage to the fuel injector being stuck open. By fluke, a service advisor at the Ford dealer in Port Hardy, BC misread the extended emissions warranty and replaced my catalytic converter under that warranty in June 2011. I later found out that Ford rejected the warranty and the dealer had to eat the cost. Because the warranty was rejected, the work does not show up on Oasis, however I still have the invoice.

Then, in November 2011 I got codes for cyl #6. Back in Yellowknife by then, I immediately grounded the truck and this time the dealership brought my truck in immediately because by then they knew me well (I probably kept their parts department in business with all the work I did on my truck - I do all my own maintenance). This time the truck ran only briefly with the identified code since I immediately recognized the problem, but again the injector had been stuck in the open position, dumping raw fuel into the system.

This time around the cat code P0430 (Bank 2) took longer to show up and again I had left Yellowknife. Again I tried unsuccessfully to enlist the support of several Ford dealers to correlate the cat with the injector. A dealership in White Rock BC is now supporting my case, but they've had to take my case to customer service as the warranty department has rejected the claim as not related.

To support my case, which I intend to escalate as far as I need to go to get Ford to honor the damage caused by the faulty injector, I am looking for other owners of affected 5.4L engines who have suffered similar issues. The dealership in Yellowknife, as well as the one in White Rock agree that the catalytic converters take a while to deteriorate after being subjected to raw fuel. Since the second injector didn't have the opportunity to dump as much fuel, the code took even longer to show up.

I am looking for other specific case histories/experiences that I can take to Ford customer service.

Your help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Last edited by LostinCanada; 10-18-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: amended title
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM
When I try and access the pdf in the first post, I get this:

Gone
The requested resource
/anxo/dr_ta_1/goto.php
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at outboundlink.net Port 80

Thanks,
Karl

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 3v injector letter: Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 07M08