Knocking noise coming from engine. Injectors??

Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocking noise coming from engine. Injectors??

Knocking noise coming from engine. Injectors?? Recently had #1 injector failure. Ford replaced the injector and performed a tune-up while the truck was at the dealership. After the replacement of the injector and the tune-up I had a knocking noise at idle. When you press down on the accelerater, the knocking noise gets faster with the rpms. Took the truck back to the dealership, they stated that the cam phasers were bad. They replaced the cam phasers but the noise still persists. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you say injector failure what type of failure? Did it stick open or closed? Is the knocking noise coming from the number one cyl area?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
330CID 05F150 I am in the same boat! I just had my phasers and all my lifters replaced about a week ago and my truck still knocks. The dealer is saying that my oil gallerys are clogged and this is where the noise is coming from. I am running this stuff through my truck right now http://www.auto-rx.com/ to see if it will help get all the crud out of my motor. Ford swears that I need a new engine, but the warranty company will not pay for it so I am pretty much stuck and have to hope and pray that my motor lasts. I have 65,000 miles on her.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Right now I have 74500 on the truck. After they replaced the #1 injector and cam phasers, I went back to the dealership to let them know that the money (warrenty money that is)that went to the phasers was a waste since the noise is still there. I do not know if another injector is failing or not. If you put your hand on the fuel rails and the injectors, you can feel the pulse that goes in sync with the noise. I havent heard about the oil gallerys being clogged yet but the majority of the people I have spoken with say that this is a common "Ford" noise. I still have the warrenty for another year so hopefully if something major fails, it will be within the time of my warrenty. If anyone can pin point the noise, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM
the injectors on these engines are very loud. many people claim to hear an engine knock or exhaust leak and it turns out it's just the injectors.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A knock or a tick? its normal for the injectors to tick. Listen to another 3v engine. if your is making a different noise then the normal tick then its not the injectors. ford really blew it with them 3v engines.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 PM
ford techs must get paid good money to replace cam phasers, even under warranty. they all seem to be on a cam phaser replacement kick right now. it's a pretty bad design, but i can't imagine that there would be as many failures as i've seen lately. my mom's '09 lincoln mks went to the dealer last week where they replaced both cam phasers to solve a misfire issue at 11k miles. i talked to the tech and asked if both banks were misfiring. he said no (which i already knew since i'd pulled the codes before). i asked him why he suggested replacing both cam phasers especially at such a low mileage...surely they couldn't both be bad? and he just shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something as he walked off. i didn't care since it was being done under warranty but i thought it was odd that he would do uneccessary work, especially under warranty. i know when something comes in my shop under warranty, i do whatever it takes to fix the issue, no more. a little bit different situation since i'm not at a dealer, but still. those guys must be making a killing on cam phasers, especially since its not really a hard job for someone that knows what they're doing.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 330CID 05F150
Knocking noise coming from engine. Injectors?? Recently had #1 injector failure. Ford replaced the injector and performed a tune-up while the truck was at the dealership. After the replacement of the injector and the tune-up I had a knocking noise at idle. When you press down on the accelerater, the knocking noise gets faster with the rpms. Took the truck back to the dealership, they stated that the cam phasers were bad. They replaced the cam phasers but the noise still persists. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Ok I'll ask again. What was the failure mode of the replaced injector?? Did it stick open or was it just noisy? There is a reason I'm asking this. You say it's a knock. If it is infact a knock and you had an injector stuck open you may have had a slight hydrolock which can give you a knock. If its a tick then yes it could very well be a normal noise for your injectors.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 330CID 05F150
Ok I'll ask again. What was the failure mode of the replaced injector?? Did it stick open or was it just noisy? There is a reason I'm asking this. You say it's a knock. If it is infact a knock and you had an injector stuck open you may have had a slight hydrolock which can give you a knock. If its a tick then yes it could very well be a normal noise for your injectors. You may also try removing the serp belt and listen for the noise to go away. Although it sounds like a first order noise if it follows the rpm.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I guess that you would say it got stuck open bc it was burning raw fuel. After they replaced the injector and peformed the tune up is when I started to hear the noise. After having other people with the same truck/engine listen to the knock or ticking noise they beleive it to be a common ford noise? It still just gets me how I do not remember hearing the noise before but now i do.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
how diffucult would it be to remove the serp belt?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I need to correct myself on the noise that the truck is making, it is a ticking noise not a knocking noise

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It is normal to hear a ticking of all the injectors as they open and close. It sounds sort of like lifters that needs adjustment. Kind of a clicking sound. A knock is very different.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
correct more of a ticking or clicking noise at idle and the sounds follows as you rev the rpms higher and higher until the exhaust gets louder than you cant hear the ticking or clicking noise anymore...lol

Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Listen to another 3v. The engine compartment the way the engine is so far back amplifies the ticking of the injectors. Its normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking noise coming from engine. Injectors??