Need help!!! Broken rear ABS speed sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!!! Broken rear ABS speed sensor.

Newbie here, I have a 1997 F-250 light duty with an ABS light on. It pulled a code for rear ABS speed sensor located in the diff. Well I fat fingered it and busted it trying to take it off. I unplugged it then broke the entire plastic piece off and the magnet came out. What is left is a metal sleeve in my diff. that is stuck. I can get it to move about a 1/4 inch, but that's it. I tried pulling on it (pretty good) and turning it and it will not come out!!!
I have the new one ready to put in but am frikken stuck!!! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Just take off the diff cover, and push it out. If you have a posi unit(indicated by an L in the number at the lower left of the tag next to the bolt hole) you will have to add friction modifier. Just takes about three quarts of gear oil, can of brake cleaner, and black RTV, and you're done.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by WA_PSD
Newbie here, I have a 1997 F-250 light duty with an ABS light on. It pulled a code for rear ABS speed sensor located in the diff. Well I fat fingered it and busted it trying to take it off. I unplugged it then broke the entire plastic piece off and the magnet came out. What is left is a metal sleeve in my diff. that is stuck. I can get it to move about a 1/4 inch, but that's it. I tried pulling on it (pretty good) and turning it and it will not come out!!!
I have the new one ready to put in but am frikken stuck!!! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
one bad sensor definitely will cause the issues you are seeing. You can insert a punch into the hole and break it into small pieces that you can vacuum out or insert a tool.

Last edited by rockercar; 05-20-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help!!! Broken rear ABS speed sensor.