Engine runs rough at 1500 rpm, any ideas?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the EGR cause the truck to idle rough and have no torque? Almost as if it's 180 out?

Sorry for the rudimentary question, but I'm chasing down the issue I have. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM
mtbinva,

Sorry for the long delay. There are others FAR more knowledgeable than me on this subject and if you look further up the thread, JBREW provided a link to an article that FULLY explains the EGR system on the 5.4L Tritons. My problem has been much higher than idle, but others kept telling me that EGR problems are typically at ide and can practically stall out the engine from the valve being stuck open. Jbrew has some good troubleshooting methodology further up on my thread. Sounds like you have more of a fuel system related issue. Lack of pressure from a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump that isn't putting out enough pressure. Test the fuel manifold pressure to make sure the injectors aren't being starved. Best of luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
mtbinva:

You are in the wrong thread - your 2005 5.4 3 valve is a completely different animal than the vehicle being discussed in this thread.

Odds are your FPDM is corroded.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 PM
97 expedition 5.4 stumble at 1400 - 1500 rpm

Originally Posted by rksnapper
I have a 98 Expedition 5.4L with 111K. Engine seems to run smoothly at idle and all rpms except just under 1500 once engine is warmed up. It doesn't show up when cold. As you slowly approach 1500, the motor starts to surge a bit and drop out/miss and then occilates as it catches itself. Once you push past it, it smooths out again.

No codes popped. Have replaced the PCV valve, repaired a vacuum leak from a burned out elbow way in the back (which seemed to fix, but the problem is back), replaced a throttle position sensor, and checked every vacuum line I could find for defects. I now have a very smooth running truck except at 1500.

It sounds like another vacuum leak, but I already fixed the common culprit of a burned out elbow against the firewall and all the other lines appear good.

Any ideas or quirks I'm missing? Up to now, the truck has run like a champ. Except for the parts mentioned above, the truck is completely stock.

Thanks.
I noticed your post and I am having same issues with my 5.4. Changed egr valve that had a leaking diaphragm. Changed backpressure transducer. Tested vac regulator solenoid. Found to be good. Vacuum Guage to green hose going to the egr diaphragm tells me at 1400 - 1500 rpm I get about 3 in of vacuum instantly. Something is signaling the vac regulator to snap open enough to lift egr valve off of its seat enough to cause this rough condition. If I remove vac hose from the egr problem goes away. Seems like a signal from pcm to vac solenoid causes the problem. Curious if you have any input to this problem of mine.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 AM
I never did find the problem with this issue. I had EXACTLY the same issue as you did. The PCM is sending a signal to the VAC valve to open the EGR. I even brought my truck into the Ford dealer a little over a year ago to have them figure it out and finally fix it. Everyone at the shop was at a total loss to explain it. They even called one of the technical engineers at Ford. There basically is no problem with the truck and from what the engineer said, he admitted that the PCM EGR mapping of the vehicle had some 'quirks'. They flashed the PCM with an updated the code which I was told should help. Unfortunately, it has made very little difference. I have had no choice but to simply accept it and put up with it. The truck is turning 20 this year with little else wrong with it. The only think I could suggest is to pay for one of those performance EPROM PCM upgrades that flashes The Whole system with updated mapping. Good luck. Let me know if you find anything else out, but you are not alone.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by rksnapper
I never did find the problem with this issue. I had EXACTLY the same issue as you did. The PCM is sending a signal to the VAC valve to open the EGR. I even brought my truck into the Ford dealer a little over a year ago to have them figure it out and finally fix it. Everyone at the shop was at a total loss to explain it. They even called one of the technical engineers at Ford. There basically is no problem with the truck and from what the engineer said, he admitted that the PCM EGR mapping of the vehicle had some 'quirks'. They flashed the PCM with an updated the code which I was told should help. Unfortunately, it has made very little difference. I have had no choice but to simply accept it and put up with it. The truck is turning 20 this year with little else wrong with it. The only think I could suggest is to pay for one of those performance EPROM PCM upgrades that flashes The Whole system with updated mapping. Good luck. Let me know if you find anything else out, but you are not alone.

Thanks for the info. I had read your original post and thought I might have bought your old truck. Just kidding! My vehicle is a carbon copy of yours. No drive ability problems, just an issue that I would like to resolve. My wife tells me I have a problem because I keep looking for a solution to something that's not noticeable. She might be right but I'll keep digging.
Will keep ya all posted. Still waiting for a new TPS to be delivered.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
rksnaper, this is for you. Changed TPS and it has resolved my problem. Hope this might help you. Sorry for the delay. Noticed my email way after the fact. Got buried in my other stuff.

Last edited by Patman; 03-29-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamone
rksnaper, this is for you. Changed TPS and it has resolved my problem. Hope this might help you. Sorry for the delay. Noticed my email way after the fact. Got buried in my other stuff.

This got stuck in the "reported post" section used to flag things for moderators attention.

I've copied it here into the thread. It seems like Jamone just pushed the wrong button when making the new post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine runs rough at 1500 rpm, any ideas?