04 5.4 Drivin me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4 Drivin me nuts!

Hello again
I have posted several times on here and received alot of valuable info.Thanks everyone. Now here is my problem.I have replaced both vct selenoids and cam position sensors and have had great results. But i keep pulling the p0022 code. Now it runs great at all speeds but has a rough idle at times . The code only comes up at a rough idle.otherwise it runs great.When i was at dealer getting parts i picked the mechanics brain alittle and he said that a faulty knock sensor will throw this code, Has anyone heard this before or is he blowing smoke? Anymore insight on this will be greatly appreciated
Thanks Kevin

Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Kevin, P0022 is over retarded timing on bank #2 which is the driver side of the engine, I have never heard of a knock sensor causing this code in a 5.4l 3v. Your cam phaser for that bank is probably stuck or intermittenly sticking to full retard. I have seen this probably 5 or 6 times in the past year...... My advice.... if you are planning on keeping the truck, replace both cam phasers. The cam phasers are what actually what advance and retard the timing as needed, I have had some that stick to full advance and some that stick to full retard.... Anyway im sure this isnt the news you wanted to hear but it will take care of your problem... They are not that bad to do, you have to pull both valve covers, put the crankshaft keyway at 12:00 position and lock the cams down so they cannot move..... then you will need a timing wedge that slides down into the timing cover to hold timing chain in place. then replace one phaser at a time.... If you take it to a dealership to have it done...... dont take it to one who suggested the knock sensor Good luck, hopefully this helps....Bob

Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Smile

Thanks bob. yes your right thats not what i wanted to hear but i had a good feeling that is what it was.anyway i think i am going to fix it because i realy like this truck it has done everything i have ask and then sum! where can i get the timing wedge you mentioned and off hand can you give me an idea of cost of phasers and when ordering do i ask for both cam phasers or does ford refer them as somthing else?once again you have been a great help and i do appreciate it very much. im in florida so if you ever come my way let me know and the first few rounds are on me! kevin

Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Kevin, I may have a set of cam phasers (brand new of course) let me check and get back to you, as far as the timing wedge goes i will get you a part # for it..... you only need one wedge, because you only do one side at a time. I could also print out detailed instructions for you from fmc dealer website. They really are not that hard to do.... just intimidating i guess if you never have done them. I will let you know about the phasers, I definitely have one but need to check on the other. Bob

Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Bob , awsome! anything you can get to help me get this truck back right again is much appreciated . if you like i can give you my email so you can send anything directly to me. kevin

Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I haven't had to do this to my truck but, I have been reading about it just in case. This looks to be a pretty good step-by-step process:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pirate walks into a bar with a ship's wheel sticking out of his pants.
The bartender says, "Hey buddy, you know you got a ship's wheel sticking outa your pants?"
Pirate says, "Arrrh, it's drivin me nuts."

[Sorry, it was the thread title what made me do it]

Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
Pirate walks into a bar with a ship's wheel sticking out of his pants.
The bartender says, "Hey buddy, you know you got a ship's wheel sticking outa your pants?"
Pirate says, "Arrrh, it's drivin me nuts."

[Sorry, it was the thread title what made me do it]
How long you been sav'in that for just the right thread? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while heh? Move on folks, there's nothing to see here... just a pirate with a ships wheel sticking out of his pants... ya see 'em every day.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Suspended
Oh Raoul, you beat me to it!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by kevin9073
Bob , awsome! anything you can get to help me get this truck back right again is much appreciated . if you like i can give you my email so you can send anything directly to me. kevin
KEVIN, yeah give me your email it will probably make it alot easier. Bob

Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Bob
here is my email kev31469@aol.com

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Did replacing the phaser fix your problem. I replaced my phasers myself after pulling codes P0340, and P0022. Still have rough idle. Also replaced vctselinoids and cam sensors. I believe head is stopped out and VCT is not getting oil pressure to it. Was using FRAM for a while, could be the stoppage problem. Runni MC now and trying to run oil treatment to clean motor. Running truck with both cam sensors unplugged for now, with no problems. Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 Drivin me nuts!