Spark plug change 2002 f150 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents: When I change modular plugs the fuel rails stay on exactly for the reasons the op mentioned. I really hate to mess with the injectors and risk losing or damaging an o-ring if I don't have to. It really isn't that hard with the rails in place.
I also get a little confused when people talk about using universal joints when changing plugs. Granted, I haven't done a lot of modular tuneups, (maybe half a dozen, probably half and half 4.6/5.4?) but I've always been able to get a straight shot at all of the plugs with the right combination of extensions.
Put me down as a member of the no antisieze club. You guys can argue all you want about whether it makes the plugs back out. I personally don't like it because I changed a set of 4.6 plugs a few years ago that had been put in with antisieze. It left the threads in the heads all gummed up and made it VERY hard to tell if the new plugs were going in straight. There were a couple of plugs that I honestly couldn't tell whether or not were crossthreaded until they tightened down. That experience really turned me off to using antisieze.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Good morning Mr. Sultini!

Sir - that was uncalled for. He is a nice young man who answered yer questions and was just trying to help.

No need to throw insults, sir. and - There are some good folks in Texas. Last I checked it was still part of the US of A too.

By the way, yer posting history leads me to wonder if you would be better served by screen name like 'insultini'

Have a good day, sir.

Cheers

MGD v4.2
MGD
#1 I didn't ask any questions

#2 I am sorry if I offended anybody

#3 I never said anything bad about the State of Texas

#4 I never said the state of Texas was not in the USA.

#5 Sounds like you are insulting me when I didn't even talk to you( Insultini)

#6 Maybe you should change you name to F150fella08FAN.

Have a very nice weekend Sir.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sultini
MGD

#1 I didn't ask any questions
You did:

I have a question for you MR. with all the universals and different sockets on such angles going into the head do you really think you can get an accurate torque on the plugs?? If so enlighten me then we'll both know.
#2 I am sorry if I offended anybody
Apology accepted. Very good of you. But, it's not me you offended. That is almost impossible for someone like you to do, lol.

#3 I never said anything bad about the State of Texas
You did:

When I was in the service I kicked a couple of guys A--es now that I think of they were from the Lonestar State.
#4 I never said the state of Texas was not in the USA.
Wow. Rilly? See above - the inference was patently obvious - except to you, apparently. You insult Texas - you insult yer own country. This - coming for a Canuckistanian, lol.

#5 Sounds like you are insulting me when I didn't even talk to you( Insultini)
Yer perception, but I'll let it slide - that was purely a joke - a target of opportunity (common on this site) - that again apparently you did not get. Hint = Smiley-face. That would be this thang here:

#6 Maybe you should change you name to F150fella08FAN.
LOL! No need; I like my handle just fine, thanks. He is just a youngin' that I happen to like - and you sir, are very much portraying yerself as a venal, shallow, ignorant, intolerant and abrasive bully. I'm SURE that's not what you are really about, but, that is the message.

Have a very nice weekend Sir.
Thanks. And to you as well. Sultini, you need to lighten up just a tad here - okay? You can verbally joust with me all day long if you wish (good luck with that, BTW) and I would be more than happy to oblige. Always. IF we keep it friendly and light-hearted.

Here's an example: You **** & moan about a job that takes me all of 1-2 hours to do (and I'm SLOW... there's folks who can do a 2V in 30 minutes, no chit) - and that's with one hand, since the other one has a beer in it at all times. I Pray you never own a 3V with the 2-piece plugs!

Sir - Please know that, if you have any legitimate non-confrontational questions I will do everything in my power to help you. That IS a promise.

But... Don't, tacitly or otherwise, threaten kids. Not. Cool. Clear?

MGD v1.0 Yeah - it's been re-awakened for a special occasion.

On the bus!

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-19-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Don't ever ever accuse me of threatening kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Don't ever ever accuse me of threatening kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. This is what is known as a tacit threat: (is that too large a concept for you?)

Man/Boy you are a real Wise A--, I am suprised the moderators didn't throw you off yet. you really know how to break them. When I was in the service I kicked a couple of guys A--es now that I think of they were from the Lonestar State. At least after all that you admitted you didn't torque your's either. You know what they say, just because your doing something for a long time don't mean your doing it right I'm referring to your post numbers.
2. The nice young fellow in question is just 18. Around my parts, that's not even drinking age - hence ... a kid. And in this particular case, a very personable, decent one.

So, tough guy... You do the math.

Just what we need, another Freakn' ITG

EDIT: So, sultini, whaddaya say, ya wanna get back on topic and continue discussing spark plugs, or what? Check out Denso Iridium IT-16's for the next swap. They are superb. Their install procedure has not changed (and they include both with antisieze and without) http://www.densoiridium.com/installationguide.php.

MGD v1.0

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Maybe you boys should have a few beers and see who can pee the farthest. Until then...

Here I sit dirty nails and a beer just took a shower after a day of plug changing. What a trip. Couldn't have done it with out info from this site.
Fuel rails I removed them lost a o ring had to buy a kit for $10 the plugs were not a problem I used a magnetic 5/8 long with a swivel attached couldn't have done it with out it, well could of but didn't want to. The biggest problem I had was my own fault I didn't lubricate the o rings on the fuel rail when I went to put it back what a D---. took them back off and the o rings and hit them with WD40 the rail went on like butter. I also lowered the front end but still had a problem with the old metal milk carton holder it kept slipping out from under my feet. Truck has 109K first plug change and now done for 100 K more. The plugs looked almost new. The truck was running like a rapped ape before changing and after just thought it was time and the weather was great. Hope the neighbors forgive me for the langauge and mean mugs. Used OEM motor craft from dealer. Next time like butter. OH!
I also used a little anti seize on the threads.
Is it ok to use wd40 on the injector o rings? Im in the middle of a swap and will be installing the fuel rail shortly, any tips like that to help make it go smooth help.

I also lowered the front end but still had a problem with the old metal milk carton holder it kept slipping out from under my feet.
I was working on my lifted f150 once, using a plastic cooler to stand on. Was leaning in the engine bay pulling the throttle body and IAC. Got to much of an angle and WHOOP, cooler came out from under me. At the time I was unprepared and only had one hand holding me up since the other had a wrench in it. Needless to say I think the hood latch assembly left a nice mark across my chest and in the heat of the moment to catch myself, I jammed my hand in some places not meant for hands. Came out nice and scrapped up. Won't stand on plastic anymore, atleast not on a smooth surface. Started using a ladder after that...

Last edited by Toyz; 03-20-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Toyz
I think you buys should have a few beers and see who can pee the farthest. Until then...

Is it ok to use wd40 on the injector o rings? Im in the middle of a swap and will be installing the fuel rail shortly, any tips like that to help make it go smooth help.

I was working on my lifted f150 once, using a plastic cooler to stand on. Was leaning in the engine bay pulling the throttle body and IAC. Got to much of an angle and WHOOP, cooler came out from under me. At the time I was unprepared and only had one hand holding me up since the other had a wrench in it. Needless to say I think the hood latch assembly left a nice mark across my chest and in the heat of the moment to catch myself, I jammed my hand in some places not meant for hands. Came out nice and scrapped up. Won't stand on plastic anymore, atleast not on a smooth surface. Started using a ladder after that...
Good morning sir!

LOL @ pissing contest. Y'know, if I thought it would help mend fences I'd be all for it - I'd need to let 'im win though

This won't help much with yer monster, but I deflate the front tires to lower it a bit. And put a padded moving blanket on the front to take the 'edge' off, lol.

WD-40 - that's what I've been using. For better or worse (very small quantity).

Good luck sir!

Cheers
MGD v4.2

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no ones offended here..wise *** yes..also a smart ***

if this pissing contest is still on where can i sign up

have a good weekend fella's

Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM
MGD

Nasty.. vindictive ...evil.... egomanic....know it all....too many toys and not enough brains, no friends after how many posts (5000) 2 FRIENDS DOES THAT TELL YOU SOMETHING.

No follow up please I am done with you MR. twister.

PS: How come you know how old people are on the site you sound like you got a problem with younguns? I don't look up people's ages.

I will not respond anymore to your foolishness, I sure would like to have a contest with you but it wouldn't be how far.

SULTINI OUT

Last edited by sultini; 03-20-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Changed wording
Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
THANKS
It was a rough day it wasn't because of the plugs it was my stuff, dropping bolts to hard to reach areas, fuel rail no lube on reinstall, slipping milk carton.

Been doing Mechanical work many years and read a lot of info on antizieze pro and con decided to go with as I have also used it many times over the years. Just a dab

NOTE: The cop's don't float as some people on here would have you believe all mine were solid tight from factory. So don't take every thing here as gospal just take what you need and use your own common sense.
Exactly right, special from this user above. You may be just as sorry.

24 inch lbs on the coil hold downs. Yea, the engineers spec that for a reason, it's been posted here many times. I'll explain it again, if this becomes necessary lol.

You can use anti-seize, but you must reduce torque X 30% as a general rule, but the general rule of thumb only applies under normal circumstances. For 4 thread modular heads, anti-seize isn't needed nor is this considered a normal/general application. 9 thread plug chambers would be the general/normal, so the given reduction in torque value wouldn't be X 30%, it should actually increase mathematically. Adding it, your taking chances.

There's no "pro's" in doing so, not for this application. The "con's", -are plenty, so why chance it and being a mechanic for many years, why are you still using a milk carton to stand on, -that's a PITA. There's a much safer/better way, but some will never learn I guess, they know to much already.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-20-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM
anti seize

Here I sit dirty nails and a beer just took a shower after a day of plug changing. What a trip. Couldn't have done it with out info from this site.
Fuel rails I removed them lost a o ring had to buy a kit for $10 the plugs were not a problem I used a magnetic 5/8 long with a swivel attached couldn't have done it with out it, well could of but didn't want to. The biggest problem I had was my own fault I didn't lubricate the o rings on the fuel rail when I went to put it back what a D---. took them back off and the o rings and hit them with WD40 the rail went on like butter. I also lowered the front end but still had a problem with the old metal milk carton holder it kept slipping out from under my feet. Truck has 109K first plug change and now done for 100 K more. The plugs looked almost new. The truck was running like a rapped ape before changing and after just thought it was time and the weather was great. Hope the neighbors forgive me for the langauge and mean mugs. Used OEM motor craft from dealer. Next time like butter. OH!
I also used a little anti seize on the threads.
Amateur question- Why are you not supposed to use anti seize? But you did, why is it you believe it's ok? Thx in advance

Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
www.blownoutsparkplug.com

FAQ's #51 and #52.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
I've never torqued mine, just got them tightened to what I thaught was good. Also, I've used anti-seize after the first plug change, they were still in good and tight when I just removed them for a new set. No worries there.
Ditto for my truck too. My truck is a 2002 5.4. I changed the plugs at 119k miles. I did use anti-seize and they have been in now for 13k miles. I did not use a swivel plug socket. I tried a plug socket with a built in universal but didn't work well so I just used an extension and plug socket. I did have to pull the fuel rail on the driver's side to get to one or two of the plugs.

My factory manual says torque the plugs to 8 ft/lbs which is ridiculous. I torqued them by hand like always to what felt right.

I used the correct Motorcraft plugs bought from Advance Auto Parts for $2.xx apiece. The dealer said if they changed the plugs, they charged $10 each for the plugs. Oh, and the plugs did not have nickel on the threads, maybe on the body.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change 2002 f150 5.4