starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting Problems

i have a 2004 Ford F150 fx4 4x4 New body style withe the 5.4l engine..I was having a problem with the fuel Pump modulator...My truck wouldnt Start because the fuel pump wouldnt work with a broken Fuel Pump Modulator..usually when i jiggled the wiring connected to the Fuel Pump Modulator..The truck would start and work for a day or so..the other day me and the wife were trying to start the truck while i was working the wiring to the modulator..the starter Turned fine and then all off a sudden,,Not even a Click.
would anyone know how to get the truck started..My truck also has the Factory remote started on the truck..i pressed the bypass switch that is under the truck also to see if it works..and when i am trying to start the truck..i can hear a clicking noise in the fuse panel...I am not sure if someone mentioned before,, that the starter has some kind of Program that if you crank and crank the engine without starting,,the starter would go in some kind of safety mode so the starter dont burn out...Would anyone know what is going with my truck..Much help would be appreciated..my truck is at my mechanics place right now and he cant seem to find whats wrong with the starter...

Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There's an obvious short in the M-wire harness, did you fix that ? I would fix that after battery disconnect, then re-boot. Look inside the connector, sometimes the plastic catch breaks inside and those pins get pushed back. Check the connector well and clean it to start with.

Also, try the electrical forum.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-21-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only safety feature protecting the starter is the OTIS (one touch integrated start). It does not allow you to crank an engine while it is already running and stops cranking the engine after 10 seconds. There is no temperature protection for the starter motor.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys..will inform my mechanic regarding the M-wire Harness...he is starting right from the Starter and checking every wire for loose or corroded connections..Hope he finds the problem..Heading to Boston next weekend and need my truck...

Quick Reply: starting Problems