Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Need Help with egr valve to exhaust manifold tube

I thought I just had a donut gasket leaking but after some checking the tube that connects my exhaust manifold to my egr valve is broke right at the exhaust manifold. I couldn't see it real well it was already dark out and I needed a better light. How hard and expensive is this tube to replace, and this is a probably a stupid question, but does it need replacing, or could I just plug it off at the exhaust manifold?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4.6
I would replace it. You have two vacum lines that connect to the tube and the DPFE and there is an orfice in the tube between both hoses. I was told the tube was a dealer only item, they wanted $75.00 for it. A buddy said he got his for $50.00 from a dealer. The small fitting that's attached to the exhaust manifold is probably rusted on pretty good so getting the tube off the fitting may be a pain. It can get to be a big job if you have to remove the exhaust manifold, all depends on how bad everything is rusted up. I ended up installing a new manifold, fitting, and tube on mine. Removing it from the EGR is the easy part. Good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
I too am having this issue. I checked online with Murrays and Autozone...no body has it in stock, or in their warehouses. I did a search for the Dorman brand part number (as listed with both above places) Dorman 598-107 for my application, and I bought it for like $29 through Amazon... plus shipping. Now, it only took a few days to get it. I have a different exhaust manifold with good thread in the manifold. Problem is, the fittings on either end don't fit the hole on the manifold. It is like there is another piece that screws into the manifold, larger piece, but I don't know what it is.... Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatkins08 View Post
I thought I just had a donut gasket leaking but after some checking the tube that connects my exhaust manifold to my egr valve is broke right at the exhaust manifold. I couldn't see it real well it was already dark out and I needed a better light. How hard and expensive is this tube to replace, and this is a probably a stupid question, but does it need replacing, or could I just plug it off at the exhaust manifold?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Well I tore part way into mine tonight, got the fenderwell off so I could get a better look at it. Looks like somebody before me had the same problem but decided to fix it with a whole lot of jb weld. I'll give them credit though its held for 7 years, and about 70,000 miles. So it is either back with the jb weld to see if it will hold again, or replace the exhaust manifold, and the egr tube
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Something simular happened to mine, before I had it. It looks to be all welded up. But I don't have anywhere to bolt the new tube to. There must be an adapter just below the tube going to the ex. manifold. I guess I will check with a dealer on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatkins08 View Post
Well I tore part way into mine tonight, got the fenderwell off so I could get a better look at it. Looks like somebody before me had the same problem but decided to fix it with a whole lot of jb weld. I'll give them credit though its held for 7 years, and about 70,000 miles. So it is either back with the jb weld to see if it will hold again, or replace the exhaust manifold, and the egr tube
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
1997 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 1997 ford f-150
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
you coluld MIG weld it im pretty sure that tube is steel. if i still had my EGR tube id send it for free.

i took mine off and tuned to have EGR pluged.
Pacesetter Long tubes 3" collector
2 1/2" into dynomax ultra flows True duals
Sniper custom tuned by ME! *Hillbilly HP*

Mods to come. 8.8 disc brakes 4.10s/ built 5.4 cams and blower
Quote:
F-150: It'll squat but NEVER stop!
190HP 220Ftlbs *dyno before headers and tuner*

*The more parts that say MOTORCRAFT the happyer the triton motor*
Old 02-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

The dealer can get it..like $35. Two male ends, different sizes. Trying to find one in aftermarket...it has to be available....or make it up.

Does anyone know exactly how long this piece is, between the exh. manifold and the tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFA View Post
Something simular happened to mine, before I had it. It looks to be all welded up. But I don't have anywhere to bolt the new tube to. There must be an adapter just below the tube going to the ex. manifold. I guess I will check with a dealer on it...
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
The adapter is a dealership/ scrapyard item only -

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 AM