Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Humming noise

I have a 2008 F150 with 23,000 miles. At about 20,000 miles my truck started making a humming noise when I accelerate. It does not make this noise all the time but when it does it can be quite loud. It sounds like it might be a problem with a fan or something, and when i took it to the ford dealership they replaced a fan clutch and said that is what they believed was the problem. Problem is, it started making the same noise again. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as to how i might go about fixing this issue. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4.6
My fan has always made a pretty loud humming/roaring noise when I first take off in the morning seems like its louder in the cold weather. Never had a problem with it though and the truck is 13 years old. You could have the dealer remove the serpentine belt and rev the engine, see if that eliminates the noise. If so then its either the fan or one of the other FEAD components.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
I have a problem similar to this in my '07 with about 32,000 when it started. A humming noise on acceleration. I am having a hard time telling if it is from the front or back. Took it in to the dealer twice and finally got the service manager in the truck to go for a ride to hear the noise, the previous two employees said "this sounds like transmission" and "this is normal." The service manager heard the noise but didn't know what it was. Agreed to keep my work order open and bring it back in couple weeks to see if it gets more audible or not and address it then. Unfortunately, once the temp got below 30F consistenly I haven't heard the noise.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
My 04 is making a simular noise, more like a whining noise when accelerating... sounds simular to when i had a idle pulley going bad due to bearing... that may be your case or maybe a tensioner pulley

-[33x12x18 Nitto Mud Grapplers]-
-[Edge Evo Programmer (93 Octane Perf Tune)]-
-[Dual X Piped Dynomax Bullet's 45'ed Behind The Rear Tires]-
-[K&N Drop In Filter]-
-[And One Heavy Foot!]-
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM