code P0300 Random Misfire backfiring, cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you regapped the denso fine wires with a round gapping tool you could heve damaged one. The say you arent to touch the diode..

Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought they come pre gapped??

Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Mine were gapped at about .35 I re gaped then to about .50. I used a ground strap bender to do it. Denso says on their web site to be careful not to touch the diode at all. I did touch it but they seem ok so far. Didnt see the warning until after.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I could have swore the gap was suppose to be .34 on those for the 5four. Standard is .54 on regular plugs. I thru my boxes out, so I can't check darnet, or I would.. I know I didn't have to re-gap tho, they were set.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I could have swore the gap was suppose to be .34 on those for the 5four. Standard is .54 on regular plugs. I thru my boxes out, so I can't check darnet, or I would.. I know I didn't have to re-gap tho, they were set.
I've been wondering about that-if I should not have screwed with them I didnt see it on the box and i did actually search the internet but couldnt find anything. I'll have to look some more. Maybe i need to regap. If I do that i'm gonna get rid of those motoblue coils..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
I've been wondering about that-if I should not have screwed with them I didnt see it on the box and i did actually search the internet but couldnt find anything. I'll have to look some more. Maybe i need to regap. If I do that i'm gonna get rid of those motoblue coils..
Your still running those coils ? Thought you had problems with them ?

Yea, I vaguely recall a gap change and .34 sticks out. I'll search for it, see if I can find some info. I'm thinking there was an instructional in the boxes. ? I know the torque procedure was on the boxes itself. I'll see what I can find.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Yea, I guess they were .44 -

The .34 was if you were running boost.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-14-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Your still running those coils ? Thought you had problems with them ?

Yea, I vaguely recall a gap change and .34 sticks out. I'll search for it, see if I can find some info. I'm thinking there was an instructional in the boxes. ? I know the torque procedure was on the boxes itself. I'll see what I can find.
Yeah I still have 7 of them 2 have failed 1 right after I got them I ordered another one and the 2nd failed right after I installed the engine I replaced that with a spare one I had so I wouldn't mind getting a set of the globals anyway. I checked the gap on them out of the box, the Densos and they where gapped at .35 So I thought that had to be small and all. I gapped them .50 so they are closer.. Runs good. I have thought the idle was a bit rough. It has more power with this engine and is smooth through acceleration and all.
The motoblues are going on 3 years old but only have about 20k on them.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
Yeah I still have 7 of them 2 have failed 1 right after I got them I ordered another one and the 2nd failed right after I installed the engine I replaced that with a spare one I had so I wouldn't mind getting a set of the globals anyway. I checked the gap on them out of the box, the Densos and they where gapped at .35 So I thought that had to be small and all. I gapped them .50 so they are closer.. Runs good. I have thought the idle was a bit rough. It has more power with this engine and is smooth through acceleration and all.
The motoblues are going on 3 years old but only have about 20k on them.
They were gapped @ .35 ? Lets see, sure those are IT16's ? Here's the best list I can find right now with about every Denso avalible for the 5four. I didn't purchase from these guy's because they rip you off lol, they have a good list tho -

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...refValue=Denso

Yea, that's wrong. I read somewhere else just a little while ago that the gap is critical on the Denso's. So you might want to change to .44 when you update the coils.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well ive never had this problem once since i got these plugs about a month and a half ago. So now im wondering, what if i do have a bad plug? But wouldnt the computer throw that specific cylinder's misfire code?

JBREW* No, i threw those out and got new motocraft coilpacks, and it didn't help the situation any.

Quick Reply: code P0300 Random Misfire backfiring, cutting out