whining noise comeing from 5.4L engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whining noise comeing from 5.4L engine

the last 2 weeks there has ben a whining noise comeing from under the hood and its kind getting annoying and i cant figure out what it is. so... i took this video to hopefully get some help with this. also whenever i hit the gas it progressivly gets louder with the crawling RPMs.

thanks

heres the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTVCQsknVw

Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good video. I would remove the serpentine belt first and listen for the noise. If it's gone then suspect one of the FEAD components, A/C, Alt, P/S, belt tensioner,etc. Good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think its the alt. its going to the shop tomorrow so we shail see

Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's definitely an accessory.
Check your power steering level if you haven't already.
If you have a harbor freight nearby you can save yourself some cash on the diag and buy one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41966

Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM
I had an alternator make that same sound. It was so loud, people who had never ridden in my truck or did for the first time would ask if it was supercharged. I wish. Pulled the belts off and could hear a faint squeek from the alternator, changed it and problem gone. Also had it do that to me on a bad tensioner pulley.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by V8Triton
It's definitely an accessory.
Check your power steering level if you haven't already.
If you have a harbor freight nearby you can save yourself some cash on the diag and buy one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41966
Yep That mechanics stethescope is one of the best investments you can make for locating noises on an engine. I have several laying around. One has a severely bent probe from getting it caught in the belt. Lucky I still have ears. For $6.00 you can't go wrong.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Yep, long screwdriver does wonders. Stethescope! My money is on alternator, when the diodes inside start going, it sounds supercharger like.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Yep, long screwdriver does wonders. Stethescope! My money is on alternator, when the diodes inside start going, it sounds supercharger like.
I used to use the long screwdriver at Vehicle Operaton plants until one of the safety people saw me using it and almost had a stroke. So from then on had to use the stethescope and actually liked it better anyway.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I had a noise like that and could not figure out what it was. I took the belt off and checked the pulleys the best I could. The alternator seemed okay but was maybe a little suspect.

Next I checked the A/C clutch and pulley. When I turned the pulley and stopped it real quick I could hear the call bearings kind of hitting together. Then a couple days later the truck started making another clicking/rattling sound. I saw that it was the plate on the A/C was amking it each time it cycled on and off. I could make it happen by turning the heat on and off auto.

Blah blah. All I am saying is you might want to check the A/C clutch and pulley bearing. I just got my parts and I will be putting them on this weekend.

Quick Reply: whining noise comeing from 5.4L engine