Type of Oil to use? Syntec blend, syntec...? adding Lucas?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of Oil to use? Syntec blend, syntec...? adding Lucas?

What's going on everyone. New to this site since I just got my 2004 F-150 5.4, got rid of the Dodge. I have 107k miles on the truck, and got an oil change. I used 5w-20 syntec blend and added a quart of lucas, since I got that "common" knock, thought it might help. My question is, whats the best type of oil to use, syntec, syntec-blend, or regular? One of the oil changing stations said OEM specs are syntec-blend I dunno if he was trying to make money or telling the truth. And in addition is adding Lucas OK? or should I not? I'm getting another oil change tomorrow just to clean out the engine, so I want to get it right, I've came to realize these angine are pretty damn picky and sensitive. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome. oil threads are many. Use the search. I think the general consensus is use motorcraft filter or better (many quick lube use inferior filters) Use motorcraft semi synthetic or better. Many feel Lucus is snake oil. Using the correct oil in the 3v is critical. they are extremely picky and expensive to fix if they dont like the oil (or filter) you put in it.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Skip the Lucas and use Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft filter. If you want better, use Amsoil.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
FWIW, Motorcraft oil in 5w-20 has gone thru another reformulation. Reformulations are pretty much normal and most of you have never used the same formula twice. Ford was looking to improve the long life performance of the oil and they have switched from a normal severely hydrocracked Gp III to a white oil acid washed Gp III. The white oil Gp IIIs are extremely high in saturates which is ideal. Gp III white oil base stocks are pharmaceutical grade which means they are incredibly pure. They have also come up with a different type of Zinc in the formulation that is emissions friendly. I don't don't have any numbers to share but from the skuttlebutt I'm hearing about it, it's far and away the best in that viscosity range. I've been a fan of the YB Pennzoil for a few years because of the formulation. Motorcraft just became my favorite. Considering what's in the bottle and the price, it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely skip the Lucas, it is not worth the money. Use that money and buy better oil, if you want Motorcraft and a synthetic you can pick that up for about $5 a quart at Advance Auto.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonFX4
Definitely skip the Lucas, it is not worth the money. Use that money and buy better oil, if you want Motorcraft and a synthetic you can pick that up for about $5 a quart at Advance Auto.
Given the above from Labnerd, that ~$2-something price per quart (~$11/jug) @ Wally-Mart went from irresistable to spectacular, lol. No point in paying $5 for the full-synth MC.

Crap - I just wish the Canadian arm would stock it here. I hate driving to Barfalo Good wings, though

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Given the above from Labnerd, that ~$2-something price per quart (~$11/jug) @ Wally-Mart went from irresistable to spectacular, lol. No point in paying $5 for the full-synth MC.

Crap - I just wish the Canadian arm would stock it here. I hate driving to Barfalo Good wings, though

$5 a quart for a syn is a helluva deal, but you are correct-the semisyn will work just fine.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
FWIW, Motorcraft oil in 5w-20 has gone thru another reformulation. Reformulations are pretty much normal and most of you have never used the same formula twice. Ford was looking to improve the long life performance of the oil and they have switched from a normal severely hydrocracked Gp III to a white oil acid washed Gp III. The white oil Gp IIIs are extremely high in saturates which is ideal. Gp III white oil base stocks are pharmaceutical grade which means they are incredibly pure. They have also come up with a different type of Zinc in the formulation that is emissions friendly. I don't don't have any numbers to share but from the skuttlebutt I'm hearing about it, it's far and away the best in that viscosity range.
Good to know, Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Motorcraft 5w-20

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I have to admit that I don't know alot about oil and I have been told mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil out there. I get a pretty good deal on it so I bought alot of it last summer. I still have 6 cases....6 qt cases.... so I still have enough for a few more changes. But maybe I'll start using Fords oil if that is better. My truck is down right now and I'm in the process of fixing it. At worst if my engine needs to be replaced/rebuilt should I change to Ford oil and sell what I have left of the Mobil ? I also use Fram Extra Guard filters. What the word on those ? Are they any good for the Triton engines ?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have been told mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil out there.
Not even close. After Katrina, Mobil went with a Gp III base which is a synthetic like Castrol and the rest, excluding the non API certified Amsoil and Royal Purple which are a Gp IV. M1's formulations are not showing any premium performance versus that of any normal dino oil. You'll generally see iron higher in analysis with M1. Some is corrosion as the non-polar properties of the base they use literally runs off of the parts when you shut the engine down. The HT/HS rating on the M1 5w-20 is 2.6 which means it is at the absolute bottom of barrel and just barely making grade....if the oil is in grade at all. For normal wear, a HT/HS rating is 2.8. HT/HS rating is directly related to bearing wear. Since you have it, use it but I would find something a lot cheaper that's a lot better next time. In regards to the Fram filters, you'll never find another Fram on anything I own. There is a thread here from a Fram tech that got hammered pretty bad as he apparently couldn't answer the hard questions. I'd try to find somebody to pawn them off on and buy a good filter. Your truck, your money.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Not even close. After Katrina, Mobil went with a Gp III base which is a synthetic like Castrol and the rest, excluding the non API certified Amsoil and Royal Purple which are a Gp IV. M1's formulations are not showing any premium performance versus that of any normal dino oil. You'll generally see iron higher in analysis with M1. Some is corrosion as the non-polar properties of the base they use literally runs off of the parts when you shut the engine down. The HT/HS rating on the M1 5w-20 is 2.6 which means it is at the absolute bottom of barrel and just barely making grade....if the oil is in grade at all. For normal wear, a HT/HS rating is 2.8. HT/HS rating is directly related to bearing wear. Since you have it, use it but I would find something a lot cheaper that's a lot better next time. In regards to the Fram filters, you'll never find another Fram on anything I own. There is a thread here from a Fram tech that got hammered pretty bad as he apparently couldn't answer the hard questions. I'd try to find somebody to pawn them off on and buy a good filter. Your truck, your money.

Hmmm....ok I'm not sure what all the numbers and letters meant. But I will take your word for it on the oil. I don't have a clue as to what that all means but I will switch to a better oil in the near future. I wish I had known that before I dumped alot of money into my oil stash. I just have to say that in the week I have been a member here it has been like going back to school again. The information is great and I have learned so much about my truck.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Labnerd, is the Mobil 1 EP still a good oil (5W20)?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I went to the ford dealership to get my oil filter and asked the guy about there motorcraft oil, he said nothing special about it he said using, casrtol syntec-blend is just as good. I had to get my starter changed and ended up doing an oil change while I was there, they put in Shell 5w30 full synthetic...he said 5w20 and 5w30 doesn't make too much of a difference..anyone have an opinion?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mxkidd38
I went to the ford dealership to get my oil filter and asked the guy about there motorcraft oil, he said nothing special about it he said using, casrtol syntec-blend is just as good. I had to get my starter changed and ended up doing an oil change while I was there, they put in Shell 5w30 full synthetic...he said 5w20 and 5w30 doesn't make too much of a difference..anyone have an opinion?
I see you have an 04 truck if its a 5.4 I wouldnt screw around with the oil 5-20 only. The 04+ 5.4's have those nasty cam phasers and all every time they have a problem it gets blamed on the oil and or filter. Castrol is good oil and so are many others but the 5-30 is thicker. stick with 5-20 and a motorcraft or better filter. Pretty much any oil will be fine as long as its got that api star burst..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Type of Oil to use? Syntec blend, syntec...? adding Lucas?