02 4.6L tick and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 4.6L tick and burning oil

My '02 4.6L v8 just started to tick and it is slowly getting worse. I just put new plugs in. Also, once I shut off the engine and then start it again, you can just smell oil. when I start it cold I dont smell any. I am trying to sell the truck now but doubt anyone would buy it if they smell oil. Any ideas? valves, gaskets, seats?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Just got to get in there and look around for where it's leaking. One could only guess a number of places it could be.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
There are no visible leaks. I have also replaced the pcv. The truck has 143K on it. I have been searching and some think it could be a header gasket. I dont know if that make sense or not. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tuck44
There are no visible leaks. I have also replaced the pcv. The truck has 143K on it. I have been searching and some think it could be a header gasket. I dont know if that make sense or not. Thanks for the help!
Could be leaking off the rear of the head, in not a very visible spot. Look near the upper part of the bell housing from underneath where it mounts to the block. Check for leaks or runs coming from the back of the head. Or around the starter area.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you use the proper PCV? A bad PCV will/can cause oil issues that you can't see from outside. Just a thought.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
update

I got under the truck and there is oil leaking form the back of the engine. it is leaking under the header and onto the starter. I hope that isnt the head gasket.
Also, there is a bolt missing off the block. while i was looking at the leak i noticed a clean hole where a bolt must have just came out. The hole is located just behind the last header on the right side and directly in line with the headers. What is this missing part???? Thanks for all the help!
Aslo, the ticking is comming from the right side of the block and towards the back.

Quick Reply: 02 4.6L tick and burning oil