Oil Change question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change question

First off, I change my own oil. I actually just did it today. While in the Auto Parts Store, I was looking around at all my options. I usually just stick with MotorCraft stuff. I have a 2005 5.4 so I am running 5W-20 Synthetic Blend and I get the MotorCraft FL-820S filter. Just wondering what yall think about Royal purple full synthetic and a K&N oil filter. Think I would see any noticable gains? HP? MPG? Both are a good bit more expensive, but I would prolly run more like 6,000 miles on it instead of 4,000(What I do now). Just curious if these products are worth the money or not.?.?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oil opinions are many.. Cant go wrong with what Ford recommends. If I were going with anything else it would be amsoil. RP is said to be not worth it.. K&N makes a good oil filter. expensive though..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I have the same truck and do the same as you, change my own oil. K&N filter...worth the money 3 times in a row I ran 5-6k miles btwn changes and my oil looked considerably better and cleaner than 3k with the OEM filter. As for Royal Purple, I actually did my tranny with it and ehh, I don't know. I have been contemplating an oil change what stops me is the fancy oil misters on our engines that don't like to be messed with.

Post up if you do change with RP and let us know what you think!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RemyRed
I have the same truck and do the same as you, change my own oil. K&N filter...worth the money 3 times in a row I ran 5-6k miles btwn changes and my oil looked considerably better and cleaner than 3k with the OEM filter. As for Royal Purple, I actually did my tranny with it and ehh, I don't know. I have been contemplating an oil change what stops me is the fancy oil misters on our engines that don't like to be messed with.

Post up if you do change with RP and let us know what you think!
Amsoil or RP in the trans is a good move IMO. The crankcase, NO, stick w/Motorcraft and the Motorcraft filter.

That's my opinion.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
out of amsoil and RP i would use amsoil..

the K&N oil filter is to darn expensive

Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
K&N oil filters are like their air filters, they increase flow by sacrificing filtration. If that is what you want, then buy it. Royal Purple has made a lot of claims that they can't back up and BP challenged them and won. RP got blasted for false advertising where it concerns HP and TQ increases. RP is a good oil, as good as any out there, but it's also no better than any out there. Buyer beware. The most expensive ingredient in the formulation is the purple dye. Yer truck, yer money. Chose wisely grasshopper.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...W6PM,b1M25KBSe

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM
ive seen a post on the mustang forume i go on where a guy compared 2 sets of cam's out of some 05 gt mustangs one usisng RP and one using mobil 1 and the one usiing RP the cames still looked brand new and the one using mobil 1 you could see scoring and scratches and the cams were a lil darker... i can try and find the post and pics. but thought you might be intersted in knowing

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pitbull260
ive seen a post on the mustang forume i go on where a guy compared 2 sets of cam's out of some 05 gt mustangs one usisng RP and one using mobil 1 and the one usiing RP the cames still looked brand new and the one using mobil 1 you could see scoring and scratches and the cams were a lil darker... i can try and find the post and pics. but thought you might be intersted in knowing
You don't have to, Mobil 1 is bad news, I know it anyway.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
You don't have to, Mobil 1 is bad news, I know it anyway.
What's wrong with the Extended Performance stuff

Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
What's wrong with the Extended Performance stuff
Just knowing some of their product is bad, is good enough for me.

Labnerd has a thread about that on this site somewhere.

That was back when you where MIA lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Im currently running Amsoil(which reminds me, its been a while since Ive changed it), and I noticed a huge difference from when I made the switch from Pennzoil(previous owner had used it). Of course this could just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but I know for a fact when I changed out my tranny fluid with Amsoil ATF, the vehicle started shifting ALOT smoother(felt like the tranny was on the way out when I had first bought it).

In my opinion I think Amsoil is the best oil on the market to use, but as others have said, its probably better to stick to Ford spec'd oil for the engine. My experience though, Ill use nothing other than Amsoil for the rest of my life(especially after the difference its made in my tranny).

Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Just knowing some of their product is bad, is good enough for me.

Labnerd has a thread about that on this site somewhere.

That was back when you where MIA.
Okay. Thanks. Go fetch?

EDIT - on the topic of trannies & Amsoil versus Motorcaft... any thoughts on that? I thought MC was still considered to be preferable, being ONLY Mercon V ( whereas Amsoil has multiple specs)

Brew - with luck the old fella will pile on and save you the trouble

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-14-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Okay. Thanks. Go fetch?

EDIT - on the topic of trannies & Amsoil versus Motorcaft... any thoughts on that? I thought MC was still considered to be preferable, being ONLY Mercon V ( whereas Amsoil has multiple specs)

Brew - with luck the old fella will pile on and save you the trouble
Yea but, you already threw the bone Bubbuh-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...one-users.html

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I recently did a ATF exchange with Amsoil synthetic and noticed a difference as I drove out of the shop in the shifting and acceleration of my truck, and I have been pretty diligent about changing my ATF every 30k to 40k miles. I'd say it's very good stuff but I don't have any technical evidence.

If you become a preferred Amsoil customer, a quart of 5W-20 is $5.20 (that's not a typo!) and their filter is around $13. I've been using RP oil for about a year or so now and it's around $9/qt at the parts store and I'm not all that impressed. We'll see how well the Amsoil performs.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I have used the supertec from walmart for a couple years now never noticed the difference. Maybe it will come back to haunt me. ha!

Quick Reply: Oil Change question