2003 Screw runs rough in 4-OD... can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Screw runs rough in 4-OD... can't figure it out

I have a 2003 SCrew with 5.4L and had the plugs changed 5k miles ago (@ about125k) and shortly after LIGHTLY & carefully hosed the engine (never again!). It idled rough for a day or so but that went away but a new problem occurred where the truck runs rough (shakes & bucks) around starting at around 45MPH in 4th Overdrive. Smelled of an EGR system problem but there were no DTC codes. I also suspected a COP might be going bad so I replaced all of them with COP's from Uneeksupply. I also took apart the throttle body & intake manifold elbow and completely cleaned everything (was pretty dirty). EGR valve confirmed to work, port was clear & now clean. Cleaned MAF, IAC & pulled all the injectors off the driver's side & cleaned them & put new o-rings on them as long as I had to remove the fuel rail. Also checked the DPFE sensor, EVR Solenoid, Vapor canister purge solenoid (Vapor mgt valve) with multimeter and all have power and are within voltage & resistance parameters.

Reconnected the battery & fired her up & thew a code! P0222 - Throttle position or pedal position sensor/switch B circuit, low input. Drove it and confirmed the TPS was acting funny, all the sudden, but now the hesitation issue was gone. Figured I found the problem, replaced the TPS with OEM part and rebooted. No CEL or codes and seemed fine... but now the hesitation/rough running engine at cruising speeds (45MPH+) is back! Read an older post with the same type of problem and the culprit was the DPFE sensor. Mine checks out electronically, but possibly acting up? I don't want to spend money replacing parts that may not be faulty, but would like to avoid spending a few hundred bucks for the shop to tell me I need to spend a thousand more or that they can't find anything.

Thinking possibly a vacuum leak somewhere? haven't put my vacuum gauge on the intake yet & will see what that yields. I'm stumped & I've read hundreds of posts trying to find the solution. Jbrew, thanks for all the information you provide to this forum, I've learned a lot & maybe you can advise on this one!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, you have a low grade misfire. Those usually occur right after the shift into OD, -Appox @ 45 mph.

I don't mess with those anymore, - I want to keep what hair I have left lol.

But the easiest and cheapest route is to update all coils and absolutely make sure you have OEM Motorcraft plugs in their. You can run others , but check here first. Motorcraft IS the fail-safe plugs

Use these. These are GAMMA's or Motorcraft, same thing with updated top plates. The protection layer is thicker now. -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...ht_2539wt_1165

Follow glc and I instructions as far as the install and you'll be golden. That's here -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...ow-misses.html

Last edited by jbrew; 09-22-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
When you say you don't mess with those anymore, are you referring to the Uneeksupply COP's? So replace all the 1-week old COP's with the gamma's or Motorcrafts? (I'm getting really efficient at it) I didn't pull any of the plugs but they are Motorcraft plugs; think there's a chance one of them is faulty? I did read the posts and install the COP's with dielectric grease in the boots. Also forgot to mention that the fuel filter was replaced when the new plugs were put in.

Thanks for the assistance jbrew.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by AZTriton
When you say you don't mess with those anymore, are you referring to the Uneeksupply COP's? So replace all the 1-week old COP's with the gamma's or Motorcrafts? (I'm getting really efficient at it) I didn't pull any of the plugs but they are Motorcraft plugs; think there's a chance one of them is faulty? I did read the posts and install the COP's with dielectric grease in the boots. Also forgot to mention that the fuel filter was replaced when the new plugs were put in.

Thanks for the assistance jbrew.
No problem, - I don't mess around with low grade misfire's = Meaning I replace them all since coils are so damn cheap to purchase. It's not worth chasing a low grade , -UNLESS it's bad enough to produce a DTC pinpointing. If you hit them with water, their no longer dependable.

If you just purchased, their warrantied. I never got a bad set from Global Auto, that's who I use. Uneek Supply is suppose to be good as well. I just haven't dealt with them yet, but from what I hear, they are good. I'm not sure they sell OEM replacements.

If you flip them over and see an "arrow", -chances are good. They most likely come from the same import export company Motorcrafts do. - I've seen knock-offs, they look like knock-offs as well.

Compare them with you old Motorcrafts if you still have them. You can also switch out coils with hopefully a good spare from your old set. 8 times if you have to, -or maybe more depending on the spare. See what I mean?? There's allot more to it than I care to write about at this time lol. I gave the general tho.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Well I wouldn't mess with it either but it is pretty annoying. The truck will skip and jump around whenever I hit the gas when in 4-OD...so quite a bit of the time on the highway. It's not as bad as it was, but still enough to be annoying. Before I replaced the coils an hour drive on the highway wore me out from it running rough. The coils I got from Uneek have arrows and look as solid as the originals on the truck. Guess I will keep playing with it. Thanks

Old 12-25-2009, 03:06 PM
This thread may be old but I'm following it and replying adding to it because I am having the same issue. Only my problem started right after changing the thermostat.

jbrew, you seem to be somewhat of a resident expert on this forums so I would also like to extend a thank you for your time and input in helping us.

As you have probably already noticed, I'm the same guy that posted my problem in the V8 section of the forum (which BTW you have replied to and with others have suggested replacing my coils as well.) seeing as how I doused at least two of them with coolant when I yanked the stat. I pulled #7 today and seen what looked like antifreeze in their as well, albeit a minute amount.

I'm curious to know if the OP of this thread was ever able to resolve his problem? Again my 02 screw is doing the same exact thing. Feels A-ok 1st through 3rd but bucks like a horse as soon as it hits 4th around 40-45.

I'm going to order those coils and CROSS MY FINGERS that it resolves my issue.

What about you OP? I noticed that you apparently still had the issue even though you had already changed your coils....any luck resolving?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JKDKALIMAN
This thread may be old but I'm following it and replying adding to it because I am having the same issue. Only my problem started right after changing the thermostat.

jbrew, you seem to be somewhat of a resident expert on this forums so I would also like to extend a thank you for your time and input in helping us.

As you have probably already noticed, I'm the same guy that posted my problem in the V8 section of the forum (which BTW you have replied to and with others have suggested replacing my coils as well.) seeing as how I doused at least two of them with coolant when I yanked the stat. I pulled #7 today and seen what looked like antifreeze in their as well, albeit a minute amount.

I'm curious to know if the OP of this thread was ever able to resolve his problem? Again my 02 screw is doing the same exact thing. Feels A-ok 1st through 3rd but bucks like a horse as soon as it hits 4th around 40-45.

I'm going to order those coils and CROSS MY FINGERS that it resolves my issue.

What about you OP? I noticed that you apparently still had the issue even though you had already changed your coils....any luck resolving?
Thanks for the kind words JKDKALIMAN. Yea AZ is a good guy and has been coming around often, I'm sure he'll post if he sees this.

As with any electronic automotive part, there stands a chance of getting a bad one out of the box. Although rare, it can happen and has; like those unfortunate coolant mishaps lol, just not as frequent. So it's a good idea when removing your existing coils, -keeping the known good ones for spares.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Help!

My '03 Supercrew has these same problems and more. Since I surf fish alot, I have always rinsed my engine off, not realizing that I was potentially damaging components. I have been trying to find the "Global Automotive" replacement COPs all afternoon on Ebay. I can't find them, and am getting very frustrated. What are they listed under, as I've tried every search I can think of? Thanks and happy holidays....

Old 12-26-2009, 05:10 PM
oops

Nevermind. Of course as soon as I posted this I found the listing. Thanks anyway Ford fans.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mshindle
Nevermind. Of course as soon as I posted this I found the listing. Thanks anyway Ford fans.
Yea, others have posted the same thing. Not sure why, I searched Ford Coil Over Plug and get them. Save them to your favorite sellers list on ebay or thro them on the favorites tool bar. Chances are, you'll want to refer them to someone else in the future.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks!

I'll spare the details, but thanks to you guys, and good info from this forum, the old SuperBeast is runnin' like a Bat out of Hell!!! Thanks again amigos....

Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 PM
If you can feel the missfire, its probably bad enough for the computer to catch it. Just do the ol' "speed up to 65 then coast down to 35 without touching the brakes or the gas" trick. It'll set a code shortly thereafter. Just drive up a long steep hill with it bucking and shaking and it'll set.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 AM
UPDATE: FIXED!

I wanted to update my particular dilema in the event that someone else down the road Googles a similar problem and stumbles into this thread.

My brother (the Ford mechanic in Seattle) told me to pull all four COP's on the drivers side seeing as how I allowed coolant to run all over my block. I DID pull #5 and 6 and found them to be wet. The problem remained. I reluctantly pulled #7 and found it to be slightly wet. I blew it out and still had the problem. To the naked eye, I could not for the life of me see any wetness on the engine past #6 so just KNEW that it didn't make it to #8.

I had it set in my mind to order a few new COP's as soon as paypal transfered the funds over. Today, I finally got three codes on my EVO! P0174 (Lean bank 2) P0316 (misfire detected within first 1,000 rev) and get this.....P0308 (Misfire on.....#8)

Yikes, little bro was right. I pulled it out today and it was soaked and reeked of coolant.

I cleaned it out, and presto..my truck is as strong as ever. Smoking the tires with those 4.56 once again!

I think its only by dumb luck that I didnt smoke a coil or 2 or 3 or.....

Thanks again for all the help/advice.

Hopefully (crossed fingers) it is TRULY fixed and won't pop back up.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by JKDKALIMAN
UPDATE: FIXED!

I wanted to update my particular dilema in the event that someone else down the road Googles a similar problem and stumbles into this thread.

My brother (the Ford mechanic in Seattle) told me to pull all four COP's on the drivers side seeing as how I allowed coolant to run all over my block. I DID pull #5 and 6 and found them to be wet. The problem remained. I reluctantly pulled #7 and found it to be slightly wet. I blew it out and still had the problem. To the naked eye, I could not for the life of me see any wetness on the engine past #6 so just KNEW that it didn't make it to #8.

I had it set in my mind to order a few new COP's as soon as paypal transfered the funds over. Today, I finally got three codes on my EVO! P0174 (Lean bank 2) P0316 (misfire detected within first 1,000 rev) and get this.....P0308 (Misfire on.....#8)

Yikes, little bro was right. I pulled it out today and it was soaked and reeked of coolant.

I cleaned it out, and presto..my truck is as strong as ever. Smoking the tires with those 4.56 once again!

I think its only by dumb luck that I didnt smoke a coil or 2 or 3 or.....

Thanks again for all the help/advice.

Hopefully (crossed fingers) it is TRULY fixed and won't pop back up.
Yes WE have said this happens time and time again. I could probably dig up 10 or so threads if I felt the need. Water/Coolant travels on top of the heads and dumps into all cylinders. Engine is at an angle, so it only makes sense with gravity.

If this user would have investigated further on the forum, he would have been enlightened. This is nothing new, happens quite often.

I in-turn give credit to the fine people on this forum instead, where it is more than deserved.

BTW- User ordered new coils, I bet he uses at-least two out of that set within 3 months time. This one was fortunate that his coils went back to work for him, but it's only temporary IMO. Once exposed, if it doesn't kill them, it can drastically shorten their life.

Those who visit this forum and use the search bar can gain so much in short amount of time. Save quite a bit of $$$ as well, -and we all could handle that.

Happy Holidays,

jbrew

Old 12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Sounds like you got her back running well but to follow up I did get my issues straightened out. My problem were the plugs, which I didn't change until last because a shop had (supposedly) changed them just 2 months earlier. When I pulled them, I couldn't believe how they looked. I still have to post the picture... they were full of crap & I found one was just about hand tight! Put NGK iridiums in there, cleaned everything really well and truck runs better than ever. To anyone that has issues with the COP's, it's WELL worth the $80 to buy 8 new ones (from Global or Uneeksupply) and change them all. May not be necessary but seeing how finicky they are, I highly recommend.

For all you that like to keep your engine clean and like many realize that washing it down is BAD, taking a leaf blower to the engine does a pretty good job at keeping it relatively clean. I've been doing it every time I wash my truck and the engine looks pretty good. I would not recommend an air compressor as it may be too powerful and actually knock something loose, but still an option and better than getting it wet.

Quick Reply: 2003 Screw runs rough in 4-OD... can't figure it out