Idler Pulley on 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idler Pulley on 5.4L

2005 5.4L

Replacing my belt I noticed my grooved idler was wobbling a bit so I replaced it with a new one. When I installed the new pulley and fired the truck up I could see that the new one had a slight wobble too. Maybe .030" - .040". Removed it and checked the bearing. Between the old and new and they are the same p/n. I check the ps pump pulley and others and there is no side movement at all. I reinstalled it and still have a slight wobbled. Is this normal?

Mine has the pulley bottoming out against the shoulder on the boss off the engine and just a fender washer on the bolt holding it on.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mayerej
2005 5.4L

Replacing my belt I noticed my grooved idler was wobbling a bit so I replaced it with a new one. When I installed the new pulley and fired the truck up I could see that the new one had a slight wobble too. Maybe .030" - .040". Removed it and checked the bearing. Between the old and new and they are the same p/n. I check the ps pump pulley and others and there is no side movement at all. I reinstalled it and still have a slight wobbled. Is this normal?

Mine has the pulley bottoming out against the shoulder on the boss off the engine and just a fender washer on the bolt holding it on.
Yea, a little wobble is perfect. They tighten up/ get noisy when bad. Some screech , I had a metal humming sound when mine went bad and the bearing was tight, to tight. That was on my 98. I ordered two from different places , both had a little wobble, just enough to notice, but are a hell of allot quieter. Your okay I think

BTW - It's been a year or so since the new one, no problems. You can upgrade the bearing if it bothers you, they do push out and press in fairly easily. I haven't had any reason to do it, -on my end, - it's an option.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-10-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks jbrew

Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No problem , yea at one time I thought there wasn't suppose to be any play in the pulleys/bearings. Tensioner pulley was the same way, but all others are tight unless you run two idlers (one on each side). Yea AFAIK, just the idler and tensioner pulley have that little bit of wobble. - Alternator , PS, AC don't from I recall.

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley on 5.4L