mod help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mod help!

i am wanting to get the most out of bolt on parts before i have to tare into the motor which isnt far down the road. just trying to get my hands on a block! i currently have a 4.6 97 4x4 with 188000 miles on it! i have been reading other posts on shorties and long tubes . tb spacers. tb port and polish. looking for comments on what u guys have done and what you would do? i already have a KnN intake, and also had the air induction cleaning . which worked great i think. i have a jet chip and a hyper-tech programmer that were given to me but dont know which ones to use. i have a borla exhaust but still stock tubing and still have all my cats. please pick it apart and let me know.

props to you guys as well i have been to may sites and none are a well diverse and knowledgeable as yall.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
#1 - are the chips you have unlocked? of the 2 the hypertech would be the best one to use (if it's compatable with your truck)

#2 - throttle body spacers are worthless on direct port fuel injection motors

#3 - long tube headers are a good bang for the buck as they broaden your torque curve

#4 - once you get into porting and polishing your heads and intake manifold, installing cams etc, it might be a better choice to find a 5.4 in a wrecking yard someplace and work on rebuilding that and then swap out the 4.6 for the 5.4 once complete

#5 - gears are a good performance to dollar improvement but some people are afraid of them and choose to destroy transmission after transmission and hidious fuel mileage when running larger tires or towing alot (what gears are in your truck now??)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
both chips are unlocked and for my truck. i currently have a 3.55 ls .

a buddy of mine has some shorites for my 4.6 that he will just give me would those be ok untill i upgrade to long tubes ? or should i just leave the stock ones on? i have to take them off to replace the head bolds anyways. i wanted to do the 3" piping and long tubes at the same time.
oh and i was also wondering about a underdrive pully kit and e fan? worth it?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shortys will do nothing for performance.. Underdrive pullys are a waste of time. E-fans are good.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
both chips are unlocked and for my truck. i currently have a 3.55 ls .

a buddy of mine has some shorites for my 4.6 that he will just give me would those be ok untill i upgrade to long tubes ? or should i just leave the stock ones on? i have to take them off to replace the head bolds anyways. i wanted to do the 3" piping and long tubes at the same time.
oh and i was also wondering about a underdrive pully kit and e fan? worth it?

Old 10-31-2009, 04:10 PM
sorry for the double post

Quick Reply: mod help!