Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
2001 4.6L Expedition - Fuel Pump Relay?

Hi all,

This morning, truck started fine, went to work and came back for lunch a few hours later, everything was great, until I tried to get back to work...

She just kept cranking and almost wanting to fire, but never actually starting. A few folks at work told me to check my fuel pump by turning the key and listening for the humming/whine. I tried as soon as I got home, and could not hear anything coming from the tank (I popped the gas cap.)

So my next step was to check all the fuses, which I did. (Later finding my manual and double checking #10.) Fuse #10 is in perfect working order.

So, for giggles, I pulled the fuel pump relay to look at it, and put it back in.

After all that I waited a few hours, got a voltmeter to check if voltage was getting to the relay or not, and decided to check the fuel pump again, it hummed this time, and the car started no problem.

Any ideas? Does it sound like I'm dealing with a faulty relay or something else?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
How olds the fuel filter. sounds like either that or the pump. When it gets colder fuel thickens if it get cold where you are that could be the killer to an old filter the pump cant get enough pressure past it.

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Unknown age, over 2 yrs on the fuel filter.

Temp was about 50 when it started fine this morning. Temp was closer to 70 when it would not start. I will try the filter tomorrow evening.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Fuel Filter is the first step.

When you listened in the gas tank for the HUM, did you do it right after you turned he key. The pump shuts off after a few seconds when pressure is built up, so you might have missed it. This really takes two people and a quiet area to do.

You can swap simular relays under the hood to see if that is your problem. If not, you may have a fuel pump going south, especally if you have alot of miles on the truck. Do a search for fuel pump and you will get tons of info on this.

My truck did exactly the same thing and it was the fuel pump.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F250
ty.barnwell.9 tybarnwell08
my dads truck did this, with 102k and 7 years on the fuel filter i changed that first, i still think his pumps goin bad but he doesnt listed
Old 10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for all the input, I'll read around the fuel pump threads.

I replaced the fuel filter and the relay. (Relay was 7 bucks, so I figured why not...)

The problem kind of happened again today, just kept cranking without firing, I turned the ignition off, flicked the relay with my finger, and it started the second time no problem. Like I said - I'll look through the fuel pump threads....
Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Expedition
If you replaced the relay and fuel filter and still having problem, sounds surely like your fuel pump is going bad. Shouldn't be too tough to replace.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks again everyone for your input. Problem is still occuring, I have not yet replaced the fuel pump.

Is there anything I can do to check the fuel pump before I blindly dump 100 bucks into it? Or - is there anything else that could cause this?

Like I said, I've replaced filter and relay to remove those as factors. Could the inertia switch be malfunctioning? I haven't had to mess with it at all, just a thought.

I'm only double checking because at this point I can't afford to dump money into a new fuel pump unless I'm positive that is the problem.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I think you need to bite the bullet for a new fuel pump now. You checked the relay, fuel filter, fuses. The inertia switch is usually a go or no go, it does not only work sometimes

BTW you will spend more that $100. The pump alone was $165 when I replaced it. Took me 7 hours laying on the ground because i did it myself. With help, the job could have been don it a couple of hours

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Expedition
What was the most difficult SRFD? Getting the tank down?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I needed 8 hands like one of those Indian Gods. Holding the tank down abit so I can reach over and disconnect the fuel and vapor lines. I had the tank on a jack, but it was not stable enough, kept trying to slip off
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM