Black plastic debris in my oil pan!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black plastic debris in my oil pan!??

Hello,

I have a 1999 2WD Expedition with the 5.4L Triton engine. I had been having some problems with oil pressure and the truck had been parked for over a year (as we have an extra vehicle). I was pretty certain the oil pump was OK and suspected the oil take-up tube screen (as I encountered a similar problem in the past). Not having the ability to lift the engine myself, I had been putting off doing anything. Well, I finally decided to see if how far I could get just trying to get the pan off (well, at least to use a flash light to try and inspect the screen etc if the pan was loose). Sure enough, it lacked 1" clearance on the rear side of the pan to come off completely.

HOWEVER, it did provide the ability to move the pan around and point a flash light in down over the top lip of the pan as well as move the pan so that I could see the bottom of the take up screen through the oil plug hole. What I found was NOT what I expected! :-) The intake opening to the take up was indeed plugged, but NOT with sludge or wax sediment BUT with a chunk of hard, black PLASTIC! At this point, I used a screw driver through the oil plug opening to clear the obstruction to the take up. At the same time, seeing there to be potentially enough clearance to get my arm and hand over the top of the rim of the oil pan, I fished my hand down into the pan and pulled out 4 chunks of shattered plastic. I am attaching photos. The top piece was approx 5.5" wide and the bottom rightmost piece was wedged in the take up.

I proceeded to clear out as much other debris (sediment mainly) from the take up screen and then at the bottom of the pan with a key on a key ring around my index finger (so as not to have it slip off). I then put 1/2 can Seamfom in the pan (with the plug back in) and with a glove on cleaned out what more I could and drained it.

I assume these pieces must be from valves or something related. But plastic??!?!? I could not find any lookup on the part number on the long piece (F75E-6M256-A?), but I have not looked extensively. I did find one reference to a part number that appeared close and it was a "right side timing chain guide" in a DOHC engine. So, perhaps from the timing chain assembly??

How did these get here and what does it mean for the engine? Though the truck has been parked and NOT driven, I have started it periodically and during the instances the oil pressure was showing normal, then engine seemed to run fine and showed no signs of anything out of what has been normal for it for past several years. While nothing like this should ever be in the oil pan, is this something that REQUIRES a rebuild?!? The truck has 170000 miles on it and is more a utility vehicle than regular transportation. Is the perhaps something I could investigate/repair (knowing I cannot lift or pull the engine)?

Thanks!

Mark

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the only black plastic that could possibly enter the pan would be from the timing chain tensioner guides like you were thinking.

ever notice a tapping noise?

you can pull the front timing cover off to inspect without getting to the point you need to pick the engine.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you think making the necessary repairs (assuming it is the chain guide) would require pulling the engine? And, yes, I suppose you could say you hear a faint tapping. But, I have assumed it was the oil pressure issue. But, it may be from the timing chain. What would have caused something like this to have happened???

Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its possible if your persistant and really have to. it wont be very entertaining to do this with the front clip in your way.

i have no answer why it could have happened. prior owner neglects?

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Usually what happens is the chain tensioner fails to hold its tension either from lack of oil pressure or the tensioner itself gives out. Then the chain starts flopping around hits the edge of the chain guide and breaks the plastic allowing pieces to fall down into the oil pan. You would have to remove the cam covers, and front cover to replace the guides and probably the tensioners. I say probably because the tenioners could be fine but are not getting sufficent oil pressure. Sometimes sludge plugs the tensioner oil supply holes ( right behind them) and that allows the tensioners to lose their pump and control tension to the chain. I would just install new tensioners while you're in there. Not a bad job but you need to make sure to read up on the chain timing concerns if you remove the chains or remove tension from them. Valves can get bent if certain procedures are not followed. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 09-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Please take a look at a follow up post I did as a response on another forum where I also posted on this:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...4&postcount=29

Would appreciate your thoughts on this aspect too!

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would first try and locate the origin of the noise. Is it under a cam cover or is it behind the front cover? A cheap mechanics stethescope would help. Once you lose oil pressure for any reason including pickup screen blockage then components that are oil pressure activated ( lash adjusters, tensioners, VCT, etc.) can malfunction and create noise and rough running. Did you find any metal in the oil pan along with the plastic? The reason I ask is because the HDR pickup and CID sensor are magnetic. If metal debris gets near those pickups it will accumulate on the magnetic surface and can cause rough running issues. A large piece of heavy plastic or debris could momentarily jamb in the HDR wheel and bend a tooth or two which could affect runability as well. Without getting into the engine and looking around it's kind of a guessing game as to what you have going on. First find the area the noise is coming from and work from there. One thing is certain the chain guide or guides have to be replaced so removing the front cover is inevitable. If you are worried about driving it to a dealership then maybe consider getting it towed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Black plastic debris in my oil pan!??