Any experience with a remanufactured PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experience with a remanufactured PCM?

(I posted this question in another thread, but then thought it made sense to post it as a stand-alone question. Sorry about the duplication, but here goes):

Has anyone ever installed a remanufactured PCM (Powertrain Control Module) computer? I've checked with 3 parts stores (Auto Zoo, Advance, and O'Reillys), they all carry the same brand, A1/Cardone, and all say it will take about a week to get one flashed and shipped here to Austin, TX. The cost is pretty reasonable at all 3 ($150-$200).

I was just wondering if anyone had ever installed one of these rebuilt PCMs and how it worked out for them?

Thanks,
Ron

Edit - this question was originally posted in the following thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...k-bad-pcm.html

Last edited by Ron Hemphill; 09-10-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For Dyno testing at Ford's we used vehicle pcm's that had to be reflashed many times in order to tweak performance. Some of these were 15 years old and older as we also dyno tested early model remanufactured engines for engine reman companies. They took a beating, dropped, high heat, coolant and gas spraying on them you name it and they still usually worked. It's a crap shoot with electronics as you could get a good or a bad one but that also goes for a brand new component of any kind. What sort of warranty do they offer? I mean if you stick it in and the truck runs like crap will they reflash without an additional charge. Ask some questions on how they guarantee their product. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
DYNOTECH - Excellent suggestion! These PCMs come with a 1 year warranty, but I have no idea if that covers additional flashing. I was told that before shipping, they're flashed at the factory according to the calibration number and/or VIN from the truck. Neither the engine nor the PCM on my truck have ever been modified, so I'm assuming that a factory calibration flash would be equivalent to what it's running now (is that an accurate assumption)?

I will now certainly be asking some questions if and before I order.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
new pcm

i am fixing to order one from advance auto parts, auto zone has bad electronics.
i will let you know what happens when i put it in.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Hemphill
DYNOTECH - Excellent suggestion! These PCMs come with a 1 year warranty, but I have no idea if that covers additional flashing. I was told that before shipping, they're flashed at the factory according to the calibration number and/or VIN from the truck. Neither the engine nor the PCM on my truck have ever been modified, so I'm assuming that a factory calibration flash would be equivalent to what it's running now (is that an accurate assumption)?

I will now certainly be asking some questions if and before I order.

Thanks,
Ron
With no mods you should be fine with the factory cal. I just like to get as much information before I put my money on the table. At this point in my life I know the feeling of getting burned when all I had to do was ask " what if ". I hope it all works out for you. Take care.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by vbermond
i am fixing to order one from advance auto parts, auto zone has bad electronics.
Neither store manufactures parts. They purchase them and in most cases they come from the same vendors.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check your other post before you replace the PCM.

Quick Reply: Any experience with a remanufactured PCM?