water and oil temp gauges

Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation water and oil temp gauges

i just got a water temp and oil temp gauges from jegs. they are mechanical gauges and the instructions jegs sends are of course universal insrtuctions and dont make a lot of sense. Does anyone know where i could/should install the temp probes for the gauges???

Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should put this in a different section(has nothing to do with the engine).

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Water and oil temp gauges have nothing to do with the engine??

The water temp gauge you may be able to find a port or location somewhere along a water jacket on the intake that the temp probe will fit in, maybe. The oil temp gauge isn't going to be so easy. There's no ports or taps with access to oil flow. The only way to get a location to add the temp probe would be to weld a bung in the oil pan or to have a hose to tap into. About the only way to get one of those is to install a remote oil filter. That way you could install a manifold designed for the temp probe somewhere in the line going to the filter mount. Here's mine. You can see the red manifold in the line there...that's where my temp probe is.

Please don't ask how much my filter kit and that manifold were...it was expensive, but it's a one-off kit, and it's NICE!!

Last edited by Galaxy; 08-22-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just get an edge or grphon. Your truck already has a water temp guage you just need a programer to see it. I dont think it has an oil temp but it has other Cylinder head air intake temps. Plus you get the programs and all..

Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Good idea if you wanted the programmer route. However, if you DO want to monitor oil temp, that's not an option on a '00. I know with the Edge, you can't monitor oil temp until like '04 or something.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 PM
i dont want to go the programmer route because to me a programmer on a gas engin such as the 5.4 is waste cause you payy hundreds and get very little and i dont wanna run high test. but thats beside the point, i think i fouund a place to put the water temp guage thats right behind the alternator on what looks to be to me what connects bank 1 to bank 2 for the coolant then it goes to the inlet radiator hose. i figured i would have have to do the oil pan with the oil temp guage i just wasnt sure if i could go another route.

and off the subject, how do your under drive pulleys seem to do for ya Galaxy? i been thinkin about gettin a set.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes, I saw that port on the intake. You are correct, that one will work if your adaptor for the temp probe will fit. You can also rig together something similar to my oil line and work it into the heater core hose. That's what I did. Yea, the oil pan bung or the remote filter line is your only options for the oil temp.

The underdrive pulleys are OK. I don't ever remember feeling any huge, overwhelming change (they've been on there for quite a while), but I do feel they add to the total package.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 PM
well i think the port will work for the water temp if not i'll figure something out to somehow tap it in and i think the guy that does my exhaust will weld somethin for me to the oil pan for the oil temp.

did you notice anything at all? i know it wont be to big of a difference. my biggest thing i got done is i got it converted to true duals with high flow cats, single chamber flowmasters, and 4in tips. i'm gettin ready to go to 3in pipe with an x-pipe then possibly MSD coils? i just had to get a new engine so i kinda dont wanna put anymore $$$ into it, i wanna save it for the cummins i'm gettin soon.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dont waste your money on MSD coils. The cheap e-bay ones are every bit as good. You will gain nothing going with those. I put Motoblues on my truck. Didnt notice any difference over the stock one and they claimed a 15 hp over stock.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 PM
what about the JEGS brand or accel?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys are silly... there is a oil gally you can tap into... its on the filter housing where the stock oil psi unit is......

Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Suspended
im sorry, but oil temp is useless. your coolant will boil over and engine overheat before your oil will....

Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM
well enlighten us, will the filter housing offer a big enough space/hole to mount the probe? and i dont see anything wrong with the pan, mounting it in the pan is gonna give a very accurate reading and if the probe were to fail and break it would not end up in the engine because it wouldnt get past the screen on the oil pump.

and nice light setup on your expedition, but i think i got you beat check out my pics.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
im sorry, but oil temp is useless. your coolant will boil over and engine overheat before your oil will....
it might seem useless to you and whoever else but it was a very affordable part and the fact that i just put a new engine in my truck due in a small part to it overheating 3x very badly/hot then shooting a plug out and blowing both head gaskets i kinda want to keep a closer eye on things.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Suspended
I think you should exchange your oil temp for oil pressure... it is far more important....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ng-gauges.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water and oil temp gauges